Diving the Phillipines in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terryb

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi there all,

My buddy and I, both very experienced divers, will have 2 weeks available to go diving in the Philipines in March. Can anyone suggest some good sites, pelagics would be nice but excellent reefs and an occassional wreck would suit as well. If you could also include some dive Ops to book with and places to stay I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the help,
Cheers,:coffee:

Moalboal-Neptune or Nelsons...Dauin/dumaguete-Mike's Adventures...Panglao/Bohol-Seaquest...Malapascua-TSD or Evolution. I have been diving Cebu area for (3) months and this was/is my trip so far without too many complaints. I travel/dive solo looking for the best deals for the best dive sites,lodging,& entertainment.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Visayas region for the whole two weeks:
1. Malapascua(Evolution): Thrasher shark(very good chance), Dona Marilyn(wreck)
2. Moalboal(Nelson): School of sardine at Pescado Island
3. Sothern Leyte(Peter): Whaleshark(chance) and beautiful corals.

If you still have time left and flying out from Manila:
1. Anilao(Aquaventure): Macro
2. Subic Bay(Johan): Wreck
3. Donsol: Swimming with the whalesharkS(very very good chance)

Need more than 2 wks!!!!!!!!

I concur with Tom and Centrals! Pick one region and reduce long travel days. For the Visayas all of the above! Malapascua is a fantastic all round location. We have the famous Thresher Shark every morning but also the giant Pelagic Manta Ray. We have a school of Devil Rays and a resident Spotted Eagle Ray near to Evolution. Gato Island which is one of our day trips has abundant chunky White Tip Reef Sharks. Malapascua is also lucky to have some of the most colourful soft coral in the world - especially at Gato and a local site called Bogtong Bato. As the guys mentioned we have 2 recreational wrecks - the ferry the Dona Marylin and a Japanese WWII boat nicknamed The Tapilon. Needless to say I couldn't possible recommend a dive operator on Malapascua. I agree with Tom regarding Dauin / Apo Island - Mike's Dauin Beach Resort is the one to go for or you could check out a new op called Liquid run by an experienced team. Both have rooms and diving. A couple of dives at Apo Island is worth it to see very healthy hard coral and turtles and then lots of great macro off the beach in Dauin. Leyte comes recommended. Moalboal is good if you find the sardines are there but personally its not my favourite place to spend time.For Panglao - I've had mixed reports but Balicassag is certainly a good days diving. Personally I'd pick 3 places and give them your full attention.Happy decision making.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Would love to spend more than 2 weeks but we are also stopping in at Bali and Sipadan. Will have to add additional sites the next year, as this is year 2 of our diving bucket list. Any more suggestions with specific operators and sites is more than welcome.

Cheers,

Thanks for the link to the shots on flickr Mucksavage, I definitely liked the thresher sharks and the macro looked great. Do you have any more sites I can view for diving images and location images?

Cheers,

Hey Dave,

What are the usual air and sea temps on Malapascua for the month of May? Would you reccomend aircon for northern boys (Canada), or would a room fan be good? Also how are the bugs, should we be prepared for mosquitoes and malaria?

Cheers,

For Macro- Go to Anilao, Batangas with Club Ocellaris. Afterwards cross the channel and go to Puerto Galera, Mindoro with Atlantis Resort. Or after Anilao, grab one of the liveaboards departing from Anilao to Tubbataha for the pelagics with Expedition Fleet. You can also catch the liveaboards in Puerto Princesa, Palawan with a domestic flight from Manila.
For Macro/Pelagic combination- Go to Malapascua, Cebu via Cebu airport and stay with Exotic Dive and Beach Resort (Malapascua Exotic Island Dive & Beach Resort). Do at least 3 before-6am-departure-for-thresher shark dives. Then go to Moalboal, Cebu and stay with Magic Island Dive Resort (Magic Island). Or after Malapascua go to Cabilao, Bohol via SuperCat ferry (SuperCat - SuperFerry Travel and Leisure - Schedules) and stay with Cabilao Dive Club (Scuba Diving at Cabilao - One of the best PADI Dive Center of Sea Explorers Philippines | Diving Visayas).
May is a hot summer month in the Philippines- 90's above water, 80's below water, farenheit. March is less hot above water and can be chilly in the water, early in the month.
Enjoy and share your pictures.

Back
Top Bottom