ANILAO- 'must do' dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddy-boo

Registered
Reaction score
Sabang-Puerto Galera, Mindoro, Philippines
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone

Im going to Anilao this coming weekend. Planning to do 6 or 7 dives there. What are you recommendations for 'must do' dive sites. I dive a lot in Puerto Galera so Im keen to see something new. Macro, reef, wall, current, deep, wreck... love them all...just want to know which dive spots there made you want to come back again and again Thanks for any tips!

The Mapating Cave is more interesting than Marcus Cave and the tunnel is much deeper as well.
However, not really suitable for single tank dive.

Basically this will be 90% down to the weather! Anilao is suffering a little right now from the wind so a lot of sites have reduced vizability while the waves outside of sheltered areas make boats trip more difficult than normal.

This weekend looks like another rough forecast (2m+ waves in open water according to Wind Guru), should be divable but definitely not ideal conditions.

The best dives would be Beatrice Rock, Bahura and Mainit Point - all of which can have very strong current. Secret Bay and Balanoy have great macro (but occasionally nothing but sand and trash), while Twin Rocks, Koala, Kirbys Rock and the Cathederal are always worth a visit.

Mapating is quite a way into open water and is not likely to be suitable until the wind and waves reduce, the cave is at 45m but isn't too big - there was previously often a small family of marble rays near the cave entrance, I've not been there for a while now so can't say for sure if they are there.

Hope that helps!

Karl

Red rock. Currently, u/w photographers had been raving about the two resident rhinopias which can be spotted in that site

wheres or what is Balanoy ??

Balanoy is the macro site next to Mainit, on the twin rocks side - boats normally stop right by the basketball court on the shore.

There’s a gradual sand slope with a fair bit of trash/junk but there’s usually a few interesting things to see, it can be a bit hit and miss but it’s probably the best place in Anilao to look for small frogfish and bobbit worms.

Thanks for all the comments. Mapating Cave is on the list but we can always organize a trip from Sabang so I will leave it for another time. I love strong currents so hopefully I will do Mainit, Bahura and Beatrice. Secret Bay sounds interesting too. there is also Secret Bays in Puerto Galera- only broken corals and sand but it's an awesome site..so much macro there- robust and ornate pipe fish, frog fish, mimic and blue ring octopus, baby cuttle fish, rhinopia as well if I remember right...I hope Anilao's Secret Bay will be similar!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom