2 months diving in the Philipines - Jan & Feb 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katherineaw

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while, checking out all the fabulous info & trip reports you've got, but I figured it was time to actually introduce myself. I've just booked my flights to spend nearly two months in the Philippines in Jan & Feb 2012. Really excited - looking forward to some excellent diving and a great holiday.

I'm qualified to 45m with about 250 dives and currently diving most weekends here in rainy Melbourne. I'm probably going to bring most of my own equipment - although I'm willing to take advice on that.

My itinerary will be flexible, with the exception that my first stop is a week Coron because I picked up cheap flights. After that I'm currently thinking of the following:
Malapascua - 4-5 days
Moalboal - 4-5 days
Bohol - 5 days
Dauin / Dumaguete - 1 week
Davao - 1 week
Siargao - 1 week
Either Subic / Puerto Galera - 1 week

Do you think I'm trying to do/see too much? I'd be aiming to do about 5 diving days each week, give or take, and spend the other two days checking out above-water sights. I'll probably fly between destinations, but might look into ferries as well.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you can make for particular dive shops and/or accommodation. I'd like to try and keep the cost of things like meals & accommodation down so I can do more diving.

Thanks in advance!!!

I spent 2 months in the Philippines in Jan/Feb 2009.

I did PG, Anilao, Coron, Cabilao, Bohol, Malapascua, Donsol & Borocay. My trip reports are on this forum (search around Feb/Mar 2009)

In previous trips I have also dived Sogod, Dumaguette.

A few tips.

5 days stay in most locations was enough. I never felt that I missed out by not staying longer.
You will need to get a long stay visa, I arranged this in PG.
My suggestion would be to pick 5-6 locations and then give yourself a couple of free weeks (for example you may want to chill out on a beach(Borocay) after a few weeks of diving
Definitely visit Anailao. Some of the best diving in the Philippines IMHO.
When you are there find out if there are Whalesharks in Sogod bay. If so definitely go there. Diving is good but the WS are the bonus.
Do not book to far ahead as you may want to change your plans
Find out when Chinese new year is and definitely book ahead. Most dive resorts/accom are really busy during this 3-4 day period.

Group locations together (i.e do PG & Anilao, Subic) then fly to Cebu to do (Malapascua, Moalboul, Cabilao, Bohol then get a boat to Dumaguette). This will minimise travel time.
In order my fav Phil dive spots are Anilao, Malapascua, Sogod, Coron, Cabilao, Dumagutte, PG, Bohol.

I wish I have 2 wks diving in the country in a stretch.
These are my personal experiences:
1. One week in Davao is far too much unless you are mixing it with Mt. Apo trek. And try NOT to turn up on the dive shop un-announced on week day because you might have to charter the whole boat. All dive sites are quite a distance away so expect a whole day trip. General Santos(3-4 hrs from Davao by bus) offers much better diving. If you stay at South Point Diver then the best dive site(Tinoto's Wall) is right in front of the resort.
2. With careful planning you can do Moalboal, Dumaguette, Bohol and Malapascua without too much backtracking.

As someone had warned, Chinese New Year is on 23rd Jan. Make your reservation early.
Cebu Pacific has regular promotion from time to time so keep an eye on it.

Find out when Chinese new year is and definitely book ahead. Most dive resorts/accom are really busy during this 3-4 day period

Jan 23, with Jan 22-28 being the holiday in China

skip davao and replace it with sogod bay where aside from diving you can also snorkel with the whalesharks.

Can't speak for Davao or Siargao, but you've picked some great places. Malapascua is my favorite place in the Philippines...I'd definitely give it a full week. Especially if you love macro, don't miss out on Anilao, which I don't see listed (my second fav spot)...and it's an easy combo with Puerto Galera if you wind up there. Dumaguete is my third fav, and you've made a great choice there. Few other spots you might want to consider...El Nido in Palawan...and so much beauty topside if you make it to Palawan (but El Nido part is not particularly cheap), also near Busuanga for a fair chance at seeing dugongs..plus near Coron if you're into wrecks (I'm not so actually haven't dove there). Since you're away for so long...if you've never dove Sipadan you can fly pretty cheaply Manila-KK on Cebu Pacific and can hop other there for a week and take then in as well.

If you nail down your places I could give you some recommendations at a lot of those places..and I travel budget so none of them are going to be really high priced.

Travel is more time consuming in the Philippines. I wouldn't try to see so many different places. Stay two or three weeks in each place....unless you decide you don't like it. Enjoy each place.

Thanks for the great advice all. I'll try and avoid rushing too fast from place to place. I wanted to go to Anilao but heard it was quite expensive.

Good point with CNY, I shall try and make sure I get that sorted out in advance. Is there anywhere that's particularly quiet around that time?

Hi Katherine,

I can't compare prices in Anilao to other ph sites but there is a very wide selection, from spartan dorm/hostel types that cost around PhP500 per night (cook/bring own food, or give some money to the caretakers to go to the market and cook for you) and more luxurious resorts with in-house restaurants/pools/etc from 3500 up per night. Boat dive prices (2 dives) costs no more than PhP2000, if you end up joining a group of divers there, the price can go down to 1500 in most places.

HTH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom