Details of what is illegal fishing please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagerbeaver

Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone point me in the direction of some official paperwork which outlines exact details of what constitutes illegal fishing in Philippine waters?

Obviously dynamite and cyanide are but I'm more interested in net sizes and thevarious trawling or pursing techniques.

Thanks a lot.

Matt.

Thanks Caloy. What do you mean you didn't read it all?!!

"Fine Mesh Nets - net with mesh size of less than three centimeters (3 cm.) measured between two (2) opposite knots of a full mesh when stretched or as otherwise determined by the appropriate government agency."

didn't know either. good to know how fine is a "fine mesh"

"Fine Mesh Nets - net with mesh size of less than three centimeters (3 cm.) measured between two (2) opposite knots of a full mesh when stretched or as otherwise determined by the appropriate government agency."

didn't know either. good to know how fine is a "fine mesh"

Yes, good info....but the catch is further down the doc where it says that if you are catching mature fish then its ok to use smaller size nets! Basically meaning anything goes as long as you've got your story straight. :depressed:

Hi Matt,

Depending where you are, there are more and more MPA's being set up as a no fishing zone to help communities increasing their fish stocks, check with your local municipality if they have set one up yet.
Cheers

Thanks Okidoki, we're working hand in hand with the Bantay Dagat(municipally sanctioned fisheries protection) here to improve protection of certain areas. But with limited funding, hard to access dive sites, and lack of clarity on what is and isn't allowed its tough.

We're hoping to get more support from the Mayor to improve our current sanctuaries, but funding is the biggest problem. Sanctuaries need constant protection and you have to pay people to do that. Currently the diveshops of Malapascua, excluding Divelink and Safety Stop, are contributing donations from their divers towards the salaries of the Bantay Dagat. That is the only way we can make it work.

Hi Matt,
Have a look at this
Campaign Updates presented during the 3rd Conservation Fellows' Quarterly Retreat in Sagay City, Negros Occidental | RarePlanet
you Can check with this website for ideas and so on or invite some one in your region to talk about it.
With so many dive operations and hotels depending on dive tourism maybe it helps to charge a reef fee fo visitors to Malapasqua to raise funds to help set up an MPA, Don't hesitate to contact me as I might have some contacts that can help.

I remember the boatman when we were in moalboal paying a so-called 'marine park fee' to some guy in a smaller boat (didnt look official) I was certainly not convinced. So where did that money go. I didnt have a tag of marine park token like they give you in lembeh and bunaken. There were fishermen during the day at pescador right at the divesite with the sardines. I was told fishing wasnt allowed at night. Well who polices it there?:idk: Good luck with your initiative Matt. Certainly wouldnt want those thresher fins going to the evil market.

They were fishing in the MPS at Anilao when we were there in September. The fishermen have removed the mooring buoys that the WWF put in last year. We saw long lines littering the reefs and a huge net covering a coral head while at Anilao......really saddening.
What was the most discouraging is that our dive operator's boat dropped anchor on coral for nearly every dive we did.
There obviously is zero enforcing going on at Anilao. Yet you pay a daily dive fee for the area. Wonder where the hell the money is going??????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom