Recommendations needed -- 10 to 12 days from Hong Kong to Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zamfir

Registered
Reaction score
I'm visiting family in Hong Kong in November, and have decided to take 12 days to go diving in the Philippines. I'm planning on leaving HK on Friday the 25th of November, and return to HK on Tuesday December 9th.

I'll be travelling by myself, 49yo male. I'm AOW and Nitrox certified, with about 250 dives in the last five years.

I think I'd like to fly in and out of Cebu on the 25th and 9th, and then arrange the diving around that. From reading other posts, it sounds like I should perhaps try to hit two different locations during this time. I generally prefer sites with lots of fish, eels, coral, etc... rather than pelagics or wrecks, but wouldn't rule out particularly noteworthy sites of the latter. I'd prefer to go relatively cheap, but that's not a major consideration. Hiking, climbing would be pluses.... nightlife isn't high on the list.

My questions:
1 - What sites would be you recommend from Cebu? Land/ferry crossings are OK.
2 - At that time of year, how easy is it to find lodging/diving?
3 - Which places have good/great shore dives available? And are there any dive operations that would allow me to dive on my own?

Any other comments / criticisms about my plans (as limited as they are right now) would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Todd

Definatelly go to see Malapascua. I have been twice there and it is great! I dove with Evolution and can only recommend them. A second choice on the same trip maybe could be Moal Boal with its Sardines. Haven't been there yet, but its on my to do list for the future :)

Hi Todd,
(1) I agree, 12 days is quite short, so I wouldn't try and do too much during that time. Malapascua, and the Dauin coast (mix of corals and muck diving - ferry or flight from Cebu) and Apo Island (corals and fish and easily accessible from Dauin....).
(2) It is starting to become High season at that time, so might recommend you book ahead (although you'll always find somewhere to stay just maybe not where you wanted)
(3) can't really comment, I only know the dive shop I work for and we wouldn't let you dive on your own....... but we do have a great house reef :)

Good luck with planning! Hope you have an awesome time.

Emma

1.For lots of fish, the sardine run at Pescador Is., Moalboal and Balicasag Is in bohol are must see.
2.Nov 30 is public holiday, some resort charge Peak Season price. For a single diver, there should be no problem finding lodging and diving anyway.
3.Moalboal have shore dives, not sure if they allow solo diver.
For list of diveshop and accomodation, you can visig Philippinen Travel - Jens Peters Publikationen .

PS Getting a Lonely Planet Philippines is helpful for transfer info. Searching for relative threads on PPD is also a must do

Hi ToddI agree with the above. You are correct to target two locations but remember it will be one day travel in between anywhere in The Visayas. Of course I recommend Malapascua as I am on record saying (many times, sorry everyone!) it is the best all round dive location in The Philippines - world class macro (you can see my Flickr below for some of the recent sightings), reefs, walls, muck dives, caverns and wrecks and then the small bonus of Thresher Sharks. There is no shore diving in Malapascua but House reefs are just a few minutes away in a small boat. I cannot speak for other operators but generally solo diving goes against the basic liability instincts of a dive shop. Are you solo certified? Evolution can exclusively offer the SDI Solo Diver Course if you want to do it right. However we recommend going all the way and doing TDI's Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures Course. This is the basic technical diving course but it involves operating independent systems and a great deal of problem solving and self rescue - everything a safe solo diver requires. To dive by yourself you need redundant systems and to know how to manage them.To get to Malapascua from Cebu you can get a private transfer or you can get a local bus, travel time is about 4 to 5 hours. You'll catch one every hour leaving the North Bus Terminal in Mandaue (Cebu) for Maya. The company is Ceres Liners. And then a local ferry / banca for 80Php.Dauin is also a great choice for macro and its also a sleepy, beachy place. You have several options from Cebu - a cheap, bus ride south to Liloan and a 25 minute ferry from there to Santander, just a few km north of Dumaguete. You can then take a tricycle into Dumaguete and an Easy Ride to Dauin. You can also take the Ocean Jet ferry from the port in Cebu to Dumaguete in 4 comfortable hours for about 900Php. Leaves around 6am and 3pm.Moalboal is very popular for the sardines but there is no beach and its not as nice a place topside as Dauin, Malapascua or say Panglao. Again its a 4 to 5 hours bus ride from the south bus terminal in Cebu. December is the start of high season but I don't think you will have too much problems with finding rooms if you book ahead.Hope that helps you get going.

SB NOT FORMATTING SO HERE IS LEGIBLE POST VIA FIREFOX (I hope) Hi Todd I agree with the above. You are correct to target two locations but remember it will be one day travel in between anywhere in The Visayas. Of course I recommend Malapascua as I am on record saying (many times, sorry everyone!) it is the best all round dive location in The Philippines - world class macro (you can see my Flickr below for some of the recent sightings), reefs, walls, muck dives, caverns and wrecks and then the small bonus of Thresher Sharks. There is no shore diving in Malapascua but House reefs are just a few minutes away in a small boat. I cannot speak for other operators but generally solo diving goes against the basic liability instincts of a dive shop. Are you solo certified? Evolution can exclusively offer the SDI Solo Diver Course if you want to do it right. However we recommend going all the way and doing TDI's Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures Course. This is the basic technical diving course but it involves operating independent systems and a great deal of problem solving and self rescue - everything a safe solo diver requires. To dive by yourself you need redundant systems and to know how to manage them. To get to Malapascua from Cebu you can get a private transfer or you can get a local bus, travel time is about 4 to 5 hours. You'll catch one every hour leaving the North Bus Terminal in Mandaue (Cebu) for Maya. The company is Ceres Liners. And then a local ferry / banca for 80Php. Dauin is also a great choice for macro and its also a sleepy, beachy place. You have several options from Cebu - a cheap, bus ride south to Liloan and a 25 minute ferry from there to Santander, just a few km north of Dumaguete. You can then take a tricycle into Dumaguete and an Easy Ride to Dauin. You can also take the Ocean Jet ferry from the port in Cebu to Dumaguete in 4 comfortable hours for about 900Php. Leaves around 6am and 3pm. Moalboal is very popular for the sardines but there is no beach and its not as nice a place topside as Dauin, Malapascua or say Panglao. Again its a 4 to 5 hours bus ride from the south bus terminal in Cebu. December is the start of high season but I don't think you will have too much problems with finding rooms if you book ahead. Hope that helps you get going.

Agreed - we did this same trip in June. Malapascua with Evolution and then Molaboal with Magic island. Saw Threshers and wonderful stuff at both.

Pescador Island is a MUST see. The other boat saw a whale shark while we were there... lucky so and so's... ;-)

I give up

Haha! The big button on the right which says "enter" is the one you're looking for mate :mooner:

Todd, have to agree that a Malapascua/Moalboal/Dauin combo is the best bet. Let us know if you have more questions, but as David said (i think as i couldnt read without the paragraphs!) it would be rare to find an op letting you go off on your own with out the relevant certs.

Enjoy,

Matt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom