7 day trip to Malapascua Island or Alona Beach in Bohol, which is better location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning a 7 day dive trip to one location in January 2012. I was not sure which location would have enough great diving and site seeing for me and my girlfriend for a 7 day stay.

Any opinions on hotels to stay at and dive operations to go with are appreciated.

Last edited:
Malapascua offers much better diving than Alona Beach BUT there is no top side attraction around the tiny island.
If your GF is a non-diver, she will get bore stiffness. Selection of eating out is very limited.

Thanks for the reply. Have you dove both places? I had heard that Balicasag Island is a wonderful place to dive. You think Malapascua Island has alot better diving than Balicasag Island?

Personally when I dove Balicasag I really enjoyed it. Schools of jacks, eagle ray, turtles and a nice wall. But I still think Malapascua has better all round diving, include some wrecks, the almost guaranteed sharks, the high chance of mantas. And fantastic macro and our newly approaching seahorse sanctuary.

Balicasag itself also has not much on land, so are you planning on Alona or staying on Balicasag actually?

I was thinking of Staying at Alona Beach beacuse there is more to do on land, but I never thought about staying on Balicasag Island.

What about Malapascua? What is best places to stay at and best dive locations you think?

Make no mistake Balicasag is also pretty good but Malapascua is better because of the wreck(Dona Marilyn) and especially the thrasher shark. There aren't that many places where you can watch this majestic creature from close distance. But you do have to get up early for the privilege.
Stayed at Exotic many yrs ago but I heard they had developed beyond recognition.
Some of my buddies dived/stayed at Evolution before and I did not hear any complaint from them.
The private transfer to the island is on expensive side and if there is any non-diver Alona Beach would be my preference. Chocolate Hill and the Tasier monkey would be an interesting diversion from diving for some.

I have done both Malapascua (30 days) and currently live (90 days) in Alona beach. The cost for diving,food,lodging and travel here in Panglao is half of what looking at threaher sharks (which is a maybe) on Malapascua. Just yesterday's morning dive, we saw a Whaleshark not 100m from Alona beach shore! Not to mention Balicasag island which has shoals of Jackfish,Barracudas,and the largest turtles I have seen in the Philippines. Alot more divesites to do plus topside activity and no crime. Your decision but kneeling at 90' until deco waiting on a threaher shark in poor viz at 5:00am is not my idea of a good time.
Have fun,Dive safe!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

So what are some good dive operations to go with at Alone Beach? What about places to stay at?

I have dived with seaquest diveshop, philipine fundivers and genesis divers on alonabeach and they were all great . The dive guides are excelent .
Accomodation on the beach is expensive i stay in tawala 5 minutes walk from beach accomodation is of a good standard and a lot cheaper
balicasag is a great dive lots of fish and great coral

Thanks, I just booked a room with Bohol Casa Nino Beach Resort, it is 50 yards from Alona Beach and around $50 per night and good reviews. Most places were booked up already, for the Jan 1st week. So this placed looked to be the best place that still had openings.

I do not plan to spend a lot of time at the room anyway. I plan to do plenty of diving, a few site seeing tours and eat out on the beach in the evenings.

I stayed at Alona Kew last time I was at Alona beach even thou I did *not* go diving the 2 days I was there. I just went site seeing. I am very excited about Balicasag Island. I think I may go to Malapascua Island also. So I may dive both locations this trip, but I am not 100% sure yet. I am definitely going to Alona Beach and diving Balicasag Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom