Trip Photos: Anilao / Batangas (Oct 2011)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Just returned from an excellent week in Anilao/Batangas, teaching the Rescue Course a fellow Scuba-Boarder - we managed to do 20 awesome fun dives also. I'll be doing regular trips to this destination in the future, both to run courses and for myself (with camera).

Here are the best photo highlights of the week...

1. Nudibranch. Anilao is quite possibly the world's best nudibranch destination. As I write this, there is a major academic aquatic biodiversity study being done in the area by marine biology students from an American university.

Chromodoris kuniei
Anilao-Oct-11-052.jpg

Nembrotha chamberlaini
Anilao-Oct-11-122.jpg

Flabellina Sp.
Anilao-Oct-11-135.jpg

Chromodoris willani
Anilao-Oct-11-207.jpg

Chromodoris reticulata
Anilao-Oct-11-225.jpg

Hypselodoris infucata
Anilao-Oct-11-325.jpg

Nembrotha chamberlaini
Anilao-Oct-11-218.jpg

Mexichromis multituberculata
Anilao-Oct-11-306.jpg

2. Cephalopod. It seemed like we saw one or more species of cephalopod on every dive; cuttlefish, octopus and squid are everywhere.

Reef Squid (very attracted and inquisitive with the torch light)
Anilao-Oct-11-060.jpg

Mimic Octopus
Anilao-Oct-11-292.jpg

Mimic Octopus
Anilao-Oct-11-297.jpg

Mimic (again)
Anilao-Oct-11-292.jpg

Reef Squid (Again)...mesmerised by torchlight
Anilao-Oct-11-062.jpg

Reef Octopus
Anilao-Oct-11-281.jpg

Last edited:
3. Muraenidae (Moray Eel). Again, there were many species of Moray evident on most of the dives. The variety is astounding.

Fimbriated Moray
Anilao-Oct-11-040.jpg

Giant Moray
Anilao-Oct-11-346.jpg

Juvenile Dragon Moray
Anilao-Oct-11-353.jpg

Juvenile Ribbon Eel (yes... not a Moray)
Anilao-Oct-11-096.jpg

Fimbriated Moray (again)
Anilao-Oct-11-280.jpg

4. Crustaceans. Close inspection will quickly reveal that just about every rock, coral or living object has some form of resident and/or symbiotic crustacean species. Perfect for working the macro lens..

Shrimp Sp.
Anilao-Oct-11-167.jpg

Emperor Shrimp (resident on a sea cucumber)
Anilao-Oct-11-255.jpg

Decorator Hermit Crab
Anilao-Oct-11-265.jpg

Slipper Lobster
Anilao-Oct-11-266.jpg

Harlequin Crab (on Sea Cucumber)
Anilao-Oct-11-319.jpg

Attachments

• Anilao-Oct-11-256.jpg
    Anilao-Oct-11-256.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
5. Fish Species

Juvenile Crocodilefish
Anilao-Oct-11-250.jpg

Pink (Skunk) Anemonefish
Anilao-Oct-11-081.jpg

Juvenile Devil Walkman
Anilao-Oct-11-159.jpg

Demon Stinger
Anilao-Oct-11-190.jpg

Sandperch
Anilao-Oct-11-203.jpg

Sole
Anilao-Oct-11-246.jpg

6. Assorted Critters

Ornate Ghost Pipefish
Anilao-Oct-11-279.jpg

Dragon Face Pipefish
Anilao-Oct-11-051.jpg

Flatworm
Anilao-Oct-11-170.jpg

7. Diver Photos (Dive buddy Bob)

Shallow reefs = lots of fish
Anilao-Oct-11-166.jpg

Wall Dive @ Ligpo Island. Lots of fan and soft corals
Anilao-Oct-11-020.jpg

Working on the photo technique @ Ligpo Cavern/Wall
Anilao-Oct-11-133.jpg

You had me at the slug pictures . . . we really do have to come dive the Phillippines. It's clearly a great place for a slug nut!

Lynn --

Jeff Bozanic and the docs at Longbeach Memorial are going to the Phillipines in February 2012 for a dive medicine meeting. I was going to try to make it but it conflicts with a trip I am running to Palau/Yap at the same time. PM me if you and Peter are interested and I'll send you the info.

Doug

Nice pics, Andy ... from the pics it appears the Philippines shares a lot in common with Indonesia. It's definitely on my bucket list of places to visit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Several of the pics (including the Mimic and a bunch of the nudi) were from a site called 'Secret Bay'. It's a proper muck diving site... comparable to a good day in Lembeh. One of my all-time favorite dives. A few hundred meters away is Mainit Point.. lots of good macro there also, but most notable for the spectacular soft and cup coral display over the rocky pinnacles... I didn't have a wide-angle/flash to capture that sadly. Ligpo Island/Cavern is a great wall dive, with an adjoining shallow reef and acres of amazing soft coral growth. There's a few whitetip reef sharks in the cavern and nearby is an Electric Clam (never seen anything like that before...)

Apologies for the poor video quality...

You had me at the slug pictures . . . we really do have to come dive the Phillippines. It's clearly a great place for a slug nut!

Was at Anilao in September. Saw more nudis than any other destination I've been to. Lots of nudi mating, too......like a great big nudi love fest!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom