Need ideas quickly - experienced diver coming from Taiwan Dec.16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sheilamo

Registered
Reaction score
Need ideas quickly to book a trip; will be in Taiwan for work 2 weeks and could fly to Philippines for diving as of Dec 16. Experienced American diver with hundreds of dives, underwater photographer. Prefer macro, walls, shore dives okay. Wrecks okay but not a big deal to me. Could stay 7 days; female traveling alone. Moderate accommodations okay, doesn't have to be bare bones budget. Prefer relaxing vs. busy social scene. Do like some topside options such as hiking.

What's the must-do location and easy to get to from Taiwan? Any particular dive outfits or resorts recommended? Not opposed to renting a quiet spot and booking a dive package separately.

Thanks!

Sheilamo,

Passing us by in Taiwan huh .. if weather is good you might enjoy Kenting, down South of Taiwan for a few dives ...

Philippines though is pretty easy to get to from Taipei. Book CebuPacific flight Taipei to Manila online, it leaves Taipei around 1.30 am, lands around 03.00 - and on landing in Manila have a resort car waiting to pick you up to go direct to Anilao, to be there by about 07:00, or twiddle your thumbs in Manila airport a couple of hours and catch first flight to Cebu (Mactan airport) and ditto have a car from resort to pick you up and run you up North to get ferry to Malapascua, or direct down South to get to MoalBoal.

Of the three of those, think I'd vote on Malapascua, followed by Anilao and Moalboal, though all three are excellent.

In the last year I've posted dive trip reports from all three locations, with links to hotels/dive centres I've used, so search my posts, or drop me a PM.

Cheers

Wantonmien - thanks for all the ideas! I actually wanted to dive Taiwan but a colleague from Singapore said it's monsoon season and not likely to be good diving (but then again, Philippines isn't far so maybe equally challenging). I will be back in Taiwan in Feb or Mar; how are conditions then?

Really appreciate the ideas; need to book my flights to Taiwan this week so wanted to get my return location finalized. I'll check flights back to the US from Manila. Appreciate it!

Lastly - does Philippines require a visa for entry? Taiwan does not.

Sheilamo,

I might get banned from the Philippines if I talk about Taiwan diving in Philippine forum :D - I've thus responsed to your post in the Taiwan forum in this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/taiwan/401025-north-south-sheilamo.html#post6102744

Re Philippines - I've dived Philippines in December a few times, and it's a great time of year, when weather has been kind and probably more reliable than Taiwan weather. As before, you'll prob find what you need in visit reports but if unsure, drop me a PM, and happy to advise.

Visa for Philippines - I'm a Brit so just get a landing visa at passport control, for American the same Philippines: Visa and Passport Requirements

Cheers

Wantonmien - thanks for all the ideas! I actually wanted to dive Taiwan but a colleague from Singapore said it's monsoon season and not likely to be good diving (but then again, Philippines isn't far so maybe equally challenging). I will be back in Taiwan in Feb or Mar; how are conditions then?

Really appreciate the ideas; need to book my flights to Taiwan this week so wanted to get my return location finalized. I'll check flights back to the US from Manila. Appreciate it!

Lastly - does Philippines require a visa for entry? Taiwan does not.

Most nationalities get a 21 day visa on entry. This can be extended (in 2 month increments) via the immigration office in Intramuros, Manila or any of the sub-offices scattered around the country (sub-offices are much quicker and easier).

Anilao is the easiest option - book accommodation with a reputable dive resort there. They can provide private car pick-up from Manila (expect to pay around 3000php each way). Anilao is famed for the quality of photo diving - muck dives on a par with Lembeh and some very nice macro and soft coral wall dives. Resorts are isolated and very diving focused. Beautiful sunsets at night, where the only noise is the chirping of crickets.

Portulano, Dive and Trek and Planet Dive are good options there. All have house reef dives - research the overall area to decide which of the 'main' dive sites you want to be located nearest for boat trips.

An internal flight to Cebu will open up some other options. Car/Ferry north to Malapascua for some remote diving - famous threshers, but also a good mix of macro. Bus/taxi south from Cebu and you can hit Moalboal, nice mixture of diving opportunities there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom