Help for 14 nights Philippine Trip Moalboal+Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We just finished arranging the trip in the high season from Xmas till January 7th

The idea was to be a bit upmarket instead of low cost so we booked Turtle Bay Diver Resort near Moalboal and the Ocean Vida Resort in Malapascua both for 6 nights.

We thought about Cabilao or Dauin but we don't like the idea of spending 18 hours travelling during the holiday

Has anyone been in those two resorts and can give some feedbacn

I have taught some courses for Turtle Bay in the past, but no longer affiliated with them, I have my own small business very close to them. Turtle B is one of the nicer resorts in Moalboal.

Dont be shy about going to Cabilao because of the travel, it should not take more than 6 hours from Moalboal to Cabilao if you do it right, same with Dauin. When in Cabilao I stayed at Polaris which is a small resort and the diving was good. I have never stayed in Dauin or Dumaguette proper as I always stay on APO Island(6 times now). Diving is very nice in APO ISLAND.

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited:
Ocean Vida Resort is quite nice on Malapascua. I have not stayed there myself but have met many divers at TSD who were quite happy staying there. If I were to visit again that is where I would try to get a room. There is also a good Italian restaurant associated with it that is quite good too.

I have never dived in Moalboal but have in Cabilao, Alona Beach and Dauin all of which are just as or easier to get to as Moalboal. I would recommend Anliao and Dauin over Cabilao. Just depends on what you like for diving.

I see you are on Flickr. I have an account there too and have my better shots taken at Malapascua, Anilao and Dauin. In fact I have planned a return trip to Dauin within the month.

Ocean Vida Resort is quite nice on Malapascua. I have not stayed there myself but have met many divers at TSD who were quite happy staying there. If I were to visit again that is where I would try to get a room. There is also a good Italian restaurant associated with it that is quite good too.

I think you might be thinking of Teppanee and Angelina's. Ocean Vida's restaurant is not an Italian...it's Swiss owned and operated.

Rooms at OV nice and new, right on the path by the beach. I'm sure you'll like it.

Drop by The Craic House for a Guinness when you're here.

To be honest I don't really know exactly what the others offer on an occasional basis. Every now and then we'll do Tapilon wreck follow by Chocolate island. Or 2 of the other local sites back to back. Is there a particular reason you like to do that?

Just so that the diving is knocked off the list in the morning

However I have just read that it rains like crazy in January in Malapascua and is also windy so maybe not good to lay on the beach either?

Just so that the diving is knocked off the list in the morning

However I have just read that it rains like crazy in January in Malapascua and is also windy so maybe not good to lay on the beach either?

Weather is weather. It's unpredictable. Yesterday it was raining when I walked my daughter to school; today it wasn't and it's a flat calm day. Tomorrow there might be a typhoon.

I've given up trying to predict the weather. We dive 365 and rarely miss a day. Sunbathing is usually possible on about 330 of those days. January included :)

All depends how many dives you want to do before you consider it "knocked of the list". Starting a 5am means you've 2 done by lunch everyday...

That's what I'm looking forward to actually, 2 dives by lunch. Ill be sure to drop in to the Craic for a cold one, maybe will see you there Interceptor.

Considering the boat rides can be long double tanks are usually a good option
Also seems like theresher sharks in January are unlikely so I was not planning to do a dive at 5 am just for the fun of it
I think am at the point of changing malapascua with dauin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom