Malapascua in end of January 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am planning to go Malapascua in Jan but was told the visibility there is very low during this period. Still worth to go? Any suggestion?
Thx

I will be in the Philippines mid-January through the end of February and was planning/hoping to visit Malapascua for a time as well, so am very interested in replies and suggestions on this topic. I hope to not intrude on the thread, but considering I have 6 or so weeks to spend, I'd be additionally interested in suggestions for where to find the best conditions during that time of year.

Here is an honest answer to poster one - there is no bad time for visibility in Malapascua. It can be bad anytime. This is not a location with 40m vistas. Its always somewhere between 10 or 20 on a great day. January is not especially predictable in that sense. Last year January (also known as high season) had poor weather and so visibility may have been affected. The year before January had perfect weather and great conditions.

Lasty year was a weird year for Asian weather so expecting a return to normal for 2012.

To Poster 2 - conditions in The Visayas will be quite similar all over. Hopefully hot, sunny and with little wind so you 'should' be able to safely plan any / all the destinations you want. If either of you need more info on Malapscua just PM me and I can help out no problem.

Happy planning.

Hopefully you wont be blown away...literally! Id never seen such strong unrelentless winds when I was there last end of Jan. Hopefully as Dave said it will return back to normal for 2012. It must have been mine presence with my Brazillian buddy that created some wierd weather chain. Hang on...it all started when the Boy from Brazil landed!

Oh and btw the vis was about 5-10m on the protected sites which we mainly did muck around the island. Up to 15m at Monad.

Just to reiterate mucksavage - the weather here in the Visayas (Dauin area) last Jan was very weird, lots of rain when it shoud have been sunny and then this low season, when it should have rained, the vis was great and the weather hot (apart from 1 or 2 weeks). So quite unpredictable, but I reckon just go for it, it'll be awesome anyway!

Have fun!

Agree with what mucksavage and atmosphere have said. Weather is fairly unpredictable. Just get up there and give it a go. I'm sure mucksavage will point you in the right direction but I'm also happy to help if you need it.
Happy diving :)

More than visibility, which can vary wildly, the most important thing is checking moon phases. Going there when it is not full or new moon will give you the best chances of seeing the thresher sharks.
I'll be there myself on January 18 to 22

Sent from my samsung galaxy s2 using tapatalk

Also the colder water during January might give you a better chance to see the mantarays and hammerheads.
Send me a pm if you need dive and resort recommendations

Sent from my samsung galaxy s2 using tapatalk

Hammerheads maybe (read hopefully). :)

Mantas though were a couple of months later when I was there and stuck around for the best part of 2/3 months (probably May/June/July without scrawling though my "logbook").

Its always a good morning when you get the hammers at Kemod and then head over to Monad and get a thresher or two, a school of devil rays and a manta....before you've had breakfast :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom