Dilemma, Malapascua or Moalboal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm relatively new to diving and this is gonna be my first time in the Philippines. And...That will be in December...kinda suck that I'm only asking for recommendations this late.

Will be there for 12 days, which 5 of it will be spent in Cebu...Sadly, I will only have enough days for 1 worth-it trip to either Moalboal or Malapascua, which will require some good recommendations.

My problem is, I've read too much online and cannot decide. What I'm really looking for is relatively interesting sights of large pelagic in combination of other interesting varieties for example the sardine run at Pescador island. I would really prefer to see as much as I could.

Greed has taken a part of me. I would do both locations if I could. But, in that 5 days I will also do some non-diving activities including a day visit to Bohol and are open to suggestions on the best to-dos in Cebu (preferably not too touristy types). Been quite excited about it.

Wondered if anyone could recommend an awesome budget to medium price place to stay that is culturally-interestingly-packed?

Last edited:
This was my same dilemma earlier in the year. Well I got over it by doing both! 3 days in mp and 2 in mb is just doable allowing for travel time. The sardines are pretty guaranteed in mb just not the threshers in mp. If you can get to mp early on first day (or better the night before) you can do at least 3 monad shoal dives for chance at spotting them as they are early 530 am.ish plus others (6-7 dives total) Leave mid morning on 4 th day to get to mb and do 1 or 2 afternoon/evening dives, followed by 3-4 dives on the 5 th day...that is if your not flying out immediately. As you are short of time I would look to hire a private transfer (via resort) for quicker more reliable transit.

100% spend the whole time at Malapascua, which has far more to offer overall that Moalboal, and with the time you have I'd say it's just not worth working in both. Malapascua is the most reliable place on earth to see threshers, where'd you'd have to be lucky to see them at Moalboal. You'd also certainly get reef sharks at Gato, as well as chances at hammerheads and mantas at Monad and Kemod. Malapascua is far better than Moalboal for macro, and a better variety of dive sites. You've also got a couple of awesome night dives off the main beach and at Lighthouse. And there are nice beaches! Malapascua all the way IMHO

Not been to Moalboal so couldn't comment on the chances of seeing a large pelagic there. I've heard threshers have been around but to be honest, not sure what time of year or the frequency. If you want a very good chance of seeing something bigger (and an excellent chance of a thresher, and a few white tips) then I would say "more" is on offer at Malapascua, plus the macro which is on offer. I spent 6 months there last year so I might be a bit bias (also not having dived moalboal :p) but I certainly wasn't disappointed. If you need further info on travelling there or recommendations when you arrive just drop me a line and I'll try and put you in touch with some good people.

Have a good trip though and I'm sure you'll have a blast wherever you decide to head for!

Just to add, Malapascua possibly isnt the mostly culturally interesting place in the Philippines and if you aren't diving then there isn't a huge amount to do on the island.

Head to the disco on the basketball court and have a few drinks with the local crowd there though, makes for quite a nice change from city life!

Go to Malapascua first and the then to Moalboal if time permitted.
One day is all you need to see the sardines and the wall along the coast.

I have done Moalboal but not Malapascua. Moalboal diving was good but not great. When I next come back to Cebu I will definitely go to Malapascua rather than return to Moalboal - I hear nothing but good things about Malapascua.

But if transport is key for you, I suspect that Moalboal is easier to coordinate transport on (resorts will arrange). It is also nearer than Malapascua.

I just finished planning our trip to visayas
Based on the readings if you are after 'large pelagics' you might be disappointed as Palawan could be a better choice than visayas
Having said that I had planned a two weeks trip in the visayas that originally had moalboal and malapascua but after looking at the weather reports from various people that have been there at that time of year for the last 4 years I have cancelled malapascua and swapped it with dauin thought my interest in a flamboyant cuttlefish is right now higher than a thresher shark so obviously that is a preference too
The sardine bait ball at moalboal as an experience scores higher than 10 seconds of a thresher shark also consider that January is not the best time for threshers looking at the number of reports of people that went there and saw none. And if you don't see a thresher the other sites are more macro than pelagics anyway

There are lots of video on you tube of both malapascua and moalboal, as well as cabilao and Apo island, where the diving is more walls though I would be careful saying there are large pelagics in abundance generally is less macro orientated

I've just returned from 3 weeks in Cebu - Malapascua, Moal Boal and Dumaguete. I pretty much agree with what is being said here - all round preferred Malapascua over Moal Boal. I wasn't overly impressed with Moal Boal although the sardines where impressive and pescador is nice for 2 dives. Found Malapascua had more range of dive site and it's always nice to be diving from the beach. We also had some decisions on how to spend our time so went to Malapascua first and it's very easy to arrange transfers down to Moal Boal if you're happy to keep your schedule relaxed - can be done in a day if you leave fairly early in the morning. If it were me I'd go Malapascua then Bohol.

I'm relatively new to diving

Something I have noticed about the difference between Malapascua and Moalboal when it came to new divers is most of the dives in Moalboal are shore dives or close to land. ( Even Pescador Island )

But most of the dives in Malapascua are in the middle of the sea. So for some reason the dives in Malapascua are more intimidating to new divers since they are jumping into the open sea which is sometimes choppy.

I have been on dives in Malapascua and a few people who were new to diving decided not to dive once they got out there. But from what I heard the dive shop only charged them for the boat ride and did'nt charge them the rental or air tank fee which was fair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom