Wife is from Cebu, I'm American, LOVED diving in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TechDeep

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As the title says, I'm from the US and married a girl from Cebu. I'ved dived all over the southeastern US, the Bahamas and Cayman Islands. Been diving for 20 years this coming spring. I can say without doubt that the most enjoyable diving was in Boracay. I enjoyed everything about it. The way I was usually the only diver on the boat, (or 2 or 3 other divers, NO CATTLE BOATS). The way I had my own divemaster who was kind enough to show me the sites underwater and wait patiently while I took pictures.

The coral, the critters, you name it, I loved it. The friendly people, the laid back way of life really struck a chord with me. It's expensive for us to get there, and we don't have a lot in the budget to spend on travel, but more than reasonable once you get there. Of course we are going back as soon as we can so my wife can see her family. We semi-joke about moving there for good some day.

I realize I'm rambling on here, but I guess I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum. I tell everyone I know here how wonderful the diving and the whole way of life is over there, and it usually raises some eybrows. I must admit, I never considered diving in the Philippines until I met my wife, but I'm sure glad I did!

I see you are from VA Beach. I grew up there and much of my family remains in Norfolk and VA Beach. I hope that next time you come to the Philippines you get to visit some of the other great spots that offer good diving. PM me the next time you plan on visiting.

Cheers,
Roger

If you get exited about the sites around Boracay, the you will be amazed by Apo, Negros, Malapascua, Anilao.....

you wouldn't be the first to decide to return to the philippines and retire . your $ gets X 43 in value once spent here :)

your $ gets X 43 in value once spent here :)

That is misleading... just because that is the exchange rate right now for USDPHP, it does'nt mean you are going to have $43, he will have 43 pesos.

1 scoop of ice cream at the mall is 90 pesos !

That is misleading... just because that is the exchange rate right now for USDPHP, it does'nt mean you are going to have $43, he will have 43 pesos.

1 scoop of ice cream at the mall is 90 pesos !

maybe i need to explain a bit.

1X = X alternatively $ = 1$ , hence the statement when read would read "... your one united states of american dollar ($) gets times fourty three (x 43) in value once spent here..." hence the equation $= x43 pesos. ofcourse it is in current terms,

now if it were to be read sometime in the future say, Mayan Calendar 2012, the value rate would be computed at that time frame.

i never stated $43 = php43. but $ = 1$ . my apologies if that is the case, my algebra may need to be updated.

Last edited:
maybe i need to explain a bit.

1X = X alternatively $ = 1$ , hence the statement when read would read "... your one united states of american dollar ($) gets times fourty three (x 43) in value once spent here..." hence the equation $= x43 pesos. ofcourse it is in current terms,

i never stated $43 = php43. but $ = 1$ . my apologies if that is the case, my algebra may need to be updated.

He will get 43 pesos for 1 dollar, not 43 values for 1 dollar.

$1 = 43 pesos
NOT
$1 = 43 values

If you want to compare Peso value against the US value or purchasing-power parity, you can use the Big Mac Index

In July a Big Mac costs in the Phils costs $2.78 (Php118), in the US it cost $4.07.

To estimate the current fair value of a currency they use the “line of best fit” between Big Mac prices and GDP per person. The difference between the price predicted for each country, given its average income, and its actual price offers a better guide to currency under- and overvaluation than the “raw” index.

So the PhP is -33 percent valuation against the USD.

You need to look at economics not algebra.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom