I don't travel well.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel1948

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My apologies if this post seems rather pointless or disjointed. The very fact that I'm posting it shows how torn I am.

A LDS is arranging a trip to the Philippines in March. A week at Puerto Galera followed by a week at Dumaguete. They rave about how fabulous the diving is there. Everything I've read seems to confirm this. I've been diving for about 3 1/2 years, have logged a few more than 100 dives, and I prefer easy diving. I'm certified OW and nitrox. I love looking at the pretty fishes and the corals. I love seeing sharks and turtles and eagle rays, and big schools of colorful fishes. I've dived on Long Caye Wall, Glover's Reef, Belize; Cozumel; The Exumas; Eleuthera; Fiji, among a few others.

Here's my dilemma: As the thread title says, I do not travel well. I cannot read on the plane due to motion sickness, even taking motion-sickness pills. I can sometimes doze a bit, but I cannot sleep decently on the plane. I'm 63 years old, and sitting for long periods of time becomes very uncomfortable. My neck hurts badly on long flights, my knees get sore, my back and my bum hurt. This even though I get up and walk up and down the aisle from time to time. Even in business class, sleeping is awkward and uncomfortable when I manage it briefly.

From Spokane to Manila (where we'll spend the night) is about 24 hours of travel. If I spend the night in Seattle, it's 18 hours from Seattle to Manila, and that's assuming we make our connection in Seoul, where we only have one hour, and the flights are listed as having a rather poor (1.8 out of 5) on-time rating. Miss that connection and who knows when we get there. I'd be traveling with the group, but my experience is that most people sleep or ensconce themselves with a book, so I cannot count on having anyone to talk to. (Sometimes one gets fortunate in the random seat neighbor, but usually not.) Spending a night in Seattle and another in Seoul would make the travel a bit easier, but the long flight is still a hellish 12 hours, and with the scheduled night in Manila it would take three days to get to the dive resort.

Maybe I'm just talking to myself, because nobody can really make the decision but me. But I'm trying to decide if the diving is really worth the hellish, long, multi-day trip. The Caribbean is much easier to get to, with much shorter flights. Fiji was touted as a wonderful place, and it was beautiful. But the diving was no better where we were than the Caribbean, and not nearly as nice as Belize or Cozumel, and the trip was horrid, though not as long as this one would be.

So I waffle between "buck up and endure the travel" to "it's just not worth it." And maybe I shouldn't even post this. But I'm interested to see if anyone has anything to say. Feel free to ignore this post or to tell me it's a stupid post.

I hate long flights (and so does my butt). However, the SFO to Manila flight, even though a literal PITA, was only a minor inconvenience compared to the wonderful diving at Puerto Galera and Dumaguete. The Atlantis resorts there were very comfortable and the people were great.

I say, GO FOR IT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot count on having anyone to talk to. (Sometimes one gets fortunate in the random seat neighbor, but usually not.)

So I waffle between "buck up and endure the travel" to "it's just not worth it."

Or your random seat neighbors misfortune, of having to endure 18 hours your rambling. There is nothing worse on a flight of having to hear someone ramble about nothing interesting for 18 hours.

I remember one flight back from the US about some guy telling his seat neibor how he goes to the Philippines for "deep sea fishing". He kept going on and on about how great the "deep sea fishing" is in the Philippines. It was obvious bs.

I say " "it's just not worth it."

Stay home and watch the discovery channel.

Talk to your physician. Depending on your overall health, your current medications, and any specific medical conditions you might have, he/she may be able to give you some medication options that will help you tolerate the long flight.

If you do plan to medicate, conduct an at-home trial of the med a few weeks before your trip, preferably on a weekend (so as not to disrupt your work schedule). You need to familiarize yourself with the existence/magnitude of side effects.

The flight to the PI is indeed a long one. I usually watch at least 5 movies, sleep when I can, drink lots of liquids (not alcohol), get up and walk every couple of hours.
You might want to upgrade to first class. Seats recline, much quieter, and no lines for the bathroom.
I go every year and the diving is quite good. One suggestion once in Sabang is to get to verde island at least once. The diving there is well, the stuff dreams are made of.

Talk to your physician. Depending on your overall health, your current medications, and any specific medical conditions you might have, he/she may be able to give you some medication options that will help you tolerate the long flight.

If you do plan to medicate, conduct an at-home trial of the med a few weeks before your trip, preferably on a weekend (so as not to disrupt your work schedule). You need to familiarize yourself with the existence/magnitude of side effects.
You mean sleeping pills? Even with scopolamine for motion sickness I cannot read on the plane. I took sleeping pills once in high school and I felt hung over all the following day.

The diving here is very very good. I have dived in many places in the Caribbean and the Philippines is nicer than all of them, you see many more different species of everything here. But the question remains if the temporary discomfort you will experience subjecting yourself to 24-28 hours of travel is worth the diving. Alot depends on the dive operators that your LDS has contracted with.

If you have the time to devote to the trip and can get a doctor to prescribe you something for the discomfort of traveling, and understand that there will be some more travel between PG and Dumaguette/Dauin. Take the trip. If not choose another destination this winter.

Cheers,
Roger

You mean sleeping pills? Even with scopolamine for motion sickness I cannot read on the plane. I took sleeping pills once in high school and I felt hung over all the following day.

High school was 45yrs ago, I imagine there are improved sleep aids now.it is a long flight then more travel in country and your not in kansas anymore! I loved it,loved the diving,the food the people etc only you can decide but a lot of successful travel is attitude,is it an adventure or a horrid chore to you? I'm going back. In feb, I liked it that much! Karen

There are many different kinds of meds that can potentially enhance sleep efficiency.
I could go through a long list for you...but it would be best to speak with your physician about options.

It's certainly possible you could take something that prophylactically treats the pain in your neck/back/knee/butt. NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.) are commonly taken for such minor aches and pains. Perhaps removing some or all of the pain will make you comfortable enough to sleep.

Whatever your physician prescribes for you may or may not have similar effects to those "sleeping pills" you took almost half a century ago.
"Sleeping pills" can be any number of meds.

If you plan on going down the medication route, keep a few things in mind:

• Dosage is important.
  • When you take the med is important.
  • Other things you are putting in your body can affect how well and how long the med works.

Here's some info on an alternative to prescription meds that addresses jet lag but not sleep initiation, per se...

In college, I took a circadian rhythms course that was team-taught by Charles "Chuck" Czeisler and Woody Hastings. We read a few papers on the pineal hormone melatonin, which is secreted into the bloodstream and attenuates the wake-drive of the circadian cycle. Subsequently, in 2006, Czeisler's lab published a double-blind placebo-controlled study on the effects of melatonin supplementation on sleep. Subjects taking 0.3 mg or 5 mg of melatonin 30 minutes prior to sleep demonstrated modestly improved sleep consolidation (vs. placebo control)...given an experimental paradigm of shortened sleep-wake cycles, simulating daily eastward travel across 4 time zones. Investigators also confirmed that taking the melatonin didn't affect core body temperature, initiation of sleep, or the percentage of time spent in each phase of sleep.

Based on this study, I think melatonin could be an option to help mitigate jet lag when traveling back from the Philippines to the U.S. (eastward direction).
When traveling from the U.S. to the Philippines (westward direction), the 24 hr. day is actually lengthened (due to time zone crossings) and I personally don't feel the effects of jet lag. The next day I'm up and ready to go. YMMV. Perhaps melatonin might help improve the quality of your sleep on the way over to the Philippines, too. However, you should bear in mind that such use is not indicated by the Czeisler study.

Please note that the FDA has not approved the use of melatonin to treat any sleep conditions. Melatonin can be found at various concentrations in health food stores. I've seen it in tablet form containing 1.0 mg. One could use a pill splitter and just take half of one pill for each dose (0.5 mg).

Just to be clear, I am not providing any medical advice in this post. I am sharing this for informational purposes only.

Hope this helps...

Can't speak for whether it's worth the trip, but you might try Dramamine for the motion sickness. It's a double whammy because it both balances you out (take it 30 minutes before you're due to take off) and also helps you doze off. I get chronic motion-sickness (which is terrible for boat diving) so I can sympathise.

I'd also second the recommendation to see a physician - if nothing else they should be able to give you something to reduce discomfort, motion sickness / nausea and also put you to sleep. Out of curiosity, what do you do for boat-dives if your motion sickness is so bad???

I'm not meaning to be rude but it really sounds to me like you've made up your mind that the trip is too hard and that it can't possibly be as good as the diving you have in the Caribbean. Perhaps instead of putting yourself through all the worry about whether this trip would be worth the suffering, you should consider planning your next trip to the Caribbean.

Without further wanting to discourage you, South East Asia is notorious for travel delays (unwarrantedly so, in my experience) and you will likely end up at one terminal or another delayed, or stuck on a plane without ATC clearance at some point or other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom