Australian Kidnapped in Mindanao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonCebu

Contributor
Reaction score
Australian Kidnapped in Mindanao

There is a news black out so only a few newspapers are following this story.

I figured I would post this to remind people to be careful when traveling in parts of our country.

Kidnapped Australian national Warren Richard Rodwell had been briefed about possible security risks as soon as he arrived in Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay, and had been offered security protection but he allegedly turned it down.

WarrenRodwell said he was a retired member of the Australian Army, told authorities he could well protect himself.
“He told us then that he’d fight back in case he encountered security problems,”

Of course there may be foul play by his wife which he separated from. Many times those responsible for the kidnapping of of foreigners in the Philippines were found to be relatives or jilted boyfriends of the kidnap victim's Filipino girlfriend or wife.

Last edited:
I have never gone down as far as Ipil with visiting Mindanao, I have done around around Dilpolog and Dapitan City, where I "felt" safe.

I have heard to stay far from Marawi City, proposed to be renamed the city as "Islamic City of Marawi" in the Parliamentary Bill No. 261 in the defunct Batasan Pambansa reportedly to attract funds from the Middle East.

I hope he makes it out alive...and in better shape than the South Koreans did. Does he have family in the Philippines (other than an ex-wife) or back in Austrailia?

I hope he makes it out alive...and in better shape than the South Koreans did. Does he have family in the Philippines (other than an ex-wife) or back in Austrailia?

What happened to the Koreans ?

Here is a news article I seen on it: Fate of kidnapped Australian man still unknown

Rodwell’s neighbors had complained also about the foreigner’s arrogance, according to a security official who read a military background report on the foreigner.

“A background investigation by the military showed that Rodwell is not popular among his neighbors. He is perceived as arrogant,” the official said.

From what I understand Australia has a "No Ransom" policy in regards to it's citizens being kidnapped. Most of the time there is "rent and board" paid. But it is not called "randsom money".

Here is a news article I seen on it: Fate of kidnapped Australian man still unknown

Rodwell’s neighbors had complained also about the foreigner’s arrogance, according to a security official who read a military background report on the foreigner.

“A background investigation by the military showed that Rodwell is not popular among his neighbors. He is perceived as arrogant,” the official said.

From what I understand Australia has a "No Ransom" policy in regards to it's citizens being kidnapped. Most of the time there is "rent and board" paid. But it is not called "randsom money".

DonCebu,

This is a passage from your first originl artical you posted Australian Kidnapped in Mindanao.

"In October, gunmen seized three South Koreans in Lanao del Norte as they looked for mining sites. They were released after more than a month in captivity but one of them, Choi In-Soo, suffered a bleeding stomach ulcer and died on December 2 at a hospital in Cagayan de Oro City."

Easy to overlook when your main focus is the poor soul who is captured now. My prayers goes out to him and his family & friends.

~ME~

DonCebu,

This is a passage from your first originl artical you posted Australian Kidnapped in Mindanao.

"In October, gunmen seized three South Koreans in Lanao del Norte as they looked for mining sites. They were released after more than a month in captivity but one of them, Choi In-Soo, suffered a bleeding stomach ulcer and died on December 2 at a hospital in Cagayan de Oro City."

Easy to overlook when your main focus is the poor soul who is captured now. My prayers goes out to him and his family & friends.

~ME~

ohhhhh those Koreans !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom