Mindanao around April - a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

We're planning our next holiday and we're seriously considering heading back to .ph once more. We've been to quite a few places, with Tubbathareef and Mindanao as some of our last unvisited regions (though there's still plenty to see :)).

We're thinking about heading to Mindanao for about 3 weeks with lots of diving and some land-based activities as well. With the current situation (1500 dead at this moment) we're not sure wether heading there is the best idea.

There's the benefit of our money and tourism perhaps helping, but perhaps it doesn't help at all.

What's your opinion? How's the diving around Mindanao comparded to e.g. puerto galera, apo island, malapascua, leyte etc?

I and my famly are going to
Dumaguete in February.

My thoughts were the locals need the income now more then ever. With the close family ties these people have, any money coming in may go a long way.

My tourst dollars will help and i may see new things diving that may have never been there before the storm. Not to go or go somewhere else , my tourst dollars would not go to thoes in need.

Not to sound too jaded, but If you really want to help the flood victims with some of your disposable income, I recommend giving directly to a registered charity that is addressing the needs of the Flood Victims. Maybe Philippine Red Cross

While it is a noble thought, I doubt seriously that much or any of the funds you spend on your diving vacations will trickle down to the victims.

As far as diving Mindanao, do a search on this board and you will find some info on Siargao, Camiguin, Davao and Gen Santos. I have only been to Davao but would be happy to share my thoughts via PM..

Cheers,
Roger

I'm not sure how going to Dumaguete is helping the folks at Mindanao, and we're planning to head to the philippines anyways.

Outerreefadventure: I have a basic idea of what to expect underwater, but I'm curious how the situation is there or can be expected to be there in a few months after the storm regarding infrastructure, acceptance of tourists etc.

diving mindanao in april should be fine .Camiguin has some good dives with good macro
excellent dive guides and very few other divers the island itself is beautifull with nice walking
and cycling.the diving would not be as varied as the visayer locations you mentioned ,but if
you want to mix diving other activities it is very enjoyable place for a week.
General Santos has good diving tinito wall dive site especially in front of south point divers has
4 great dives with lots of reef fish and nice coral if you get good viz and the current i enjoy the
diving here as much as any location in the visayer

Found this link

Sendong Dumaguete Tropical Storm Washi | dutchpickle
201127W_12161419.png0fed9__57413211_philippines_floods_464map.gif_57390608_chipping.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom