Shots or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A group of four of are going to Puerto Galera in April and we are wondering if there are any shots or other medication that we need to take prior to departure? Should this go the dive medecine forum?

Going to Atlantis Dumaguete next month. Went to travel doctor and was given Hep A, typhoid and tetnus. The doctor just returned from there. He also gave rx for cipro, anbian for the long plane ride and sea sick patchs without asking.

Also was given a CDC and WHO travel card and alot of refrence material on what to and not to eat and travel tips.

Do yourself a favor and find a travel doctor. They will check the latest outbreaks specific to where you are going. One stop shop for all your travel needs.

Depends on your lifestyle. I have current vaccinations against Hepatitis A and B and tetanus. Hep A and tetanus are very strongly recommended. Hep B is mostly transmitted via body fluids, and I am in the high risk group as a rescue worker.

Some advise to buy antibiotics abroad as it is often cheaper than in the US and I have bought antibiotics etc without prescription. Your call.

If you have the budget for a travel doctor, by all means, visit one. Otherwise, my best advice is to do your own research, as many of the "extra" vaccinations and pre-medications carry a long list of risks with them (though often outweighing the risk of being infected), and you should be the one evaluating the risk vs benefit ratio.
A good example - I made an educated choice not to take the swine flu vaccinations (remember that scare?) as the risks outweighed the benefits for me. Out of my 50 coworkers that got the vaccine, one suffered nasty sideffects, and there are now reported cases of children suffering long-term health damage due to the vaccines (like narcolepsy). I am not anti-vaccine, as my vaccinations lists attests, but you really need to invest some time to do your own resarch on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom