For Novice Divers: Palawan or the Visayas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kelpo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Friends: My boyfriend and I, recently certified, are planning a two-week visit to the Philippines in February. We were thinking of checking out both Palawan and the Visayas, but are wondering if we should just choose one or the other for a more relaxing vacation. For novice divers in February, which would be the better choice--Palawan or the Visayas? Thanks very much for any advice.
Kelpo

Visayas! Bohol, Dumagete, or Moalboa.
Moalboa is perhaps they quietest, with Dumagete next. Bohol is also quiet, but with more topside sidetrips available.
The diving in all is great, even for newbies! there are also opportunities to advance your skills.
Bohol has great diversions, Chocolate Hills, worlds largest man-made bamboo forest, Baclayon Church & Museum, Tarsiers. Loboc river cruise, etc..
Isis Bungalows - Excursion

Last edited:
I will try to answer the question, either should be fine for a novice diver especially if you plan to do have some terrestrial adventures as well as diving. You may consider taking an Advanced Openwater Course before or during your trip.

I have visited Palawan and have dived in a few locations, the most memorable was Coron, which I would not recommend for a brand new diver since it is mostly wreck dives, but I would put it on the list of places to go in the future.

I think a trip to the Visayas would serve you well since there are so many destinations that are suitable for new divers.

There is plenty of information on this board for Visayan Destinations search:

APO Island, Dumaguette

Alona, Bohol, Panglao

Mactan, Malapascua, Moalboal

If you need any specific advice feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Roger

Hi Friends: My boyfriend and I, recently certified, are planning a two-week visit to the Philippines in February. We were thinking of checking out both Palawan and the Visayas, but are wondering if we should just choose one or the other for a more relaxing vacation. For novice divers in February, which would be the better choice--Palawan or the Visayas? Thanks very much for any advice.
Kelpo

Going to Palawan will require another flight from Manila/Cebu. The last frontier in the country but the diving is very ordinary(my experience).
Bohol(Alona Beach) and Moalboal would be my suggestion. There are plenty of trip reports about these two places so check it out.
As someone had mentioned there are top-side attractions besides diving in Bohol.
BTW, whalesharks have been spotted down the coast from Moalboal so you might be lucky that they are still there during your stopover.

Another vote for the Visayas!

For newbie divers and first time in the Philippines I'd pick Bohol for so many reasons and also Moalboal. In Moalboal, you can add the Kawasan Falls and if you really want some adventure, Planet Action Adventure.

If you were AOW I'd pick Bohol and Malapascua (need AOW to see the Threshers).

PM me if you have specific questions.

Diving in the Philippines can be great, there are so many places to go, downside know the area you are traveling to and safety warnings for tourists. ( NPA ) New People's Army, Muslim, Abu Sayyaf areas are very, very dangerous for tourists and even for many Filipinos that are not from that area. You are a target for kidnapping and being held for ransom if you are not careful here. With that being said look up the travel warnings to areas being considered and follow what they say, don't be stupid & flashy going to other countries especially here, wear a timex watch, dress simply and don't stand out like a tourist. Ask your dive master or tour guide about security for your group on the dive and where you will be staying. I live in the Philippines and travel to many different islands and safety is 1st priority, kidnappings do happen in the Mindanao area & Palawan. I am sure I will get slammed that I am over reacting but do yourself a favor and research the area you going into. Cagayan de Oro has had lots of recent problems. Do It Right

I agree with what OuterReefAdventure said. You should consider doing AOW on or before doing the Visayas or Palawan. Bohol offers some sites for novice divers but some really good sites are either drift or deep dives. Palawan (Coron) offer mostly wreck dives. The real nice ones are deep and at the limits of the AOW level. You should also consider doing nitrox with your AOW.

Kelpo

Greetings!

This is Sara from PhilTech Divers. Have you tried diving in Batangas? Anilao, Batangas, Philippines is a very popular spot for diving and is known worldwide. The waters are rich with marine life, abundant of corals and amazing diversity of fishes to explore.

Anilao, Batangas is one of the world-class diving spots in the Philippines. The dive sites in Anilao are excellent sites for photography because of the good visibility of marine life and diversity of fishes. From one resort, we can have a short boat-ride for island hopping and arrange for a dive tour and visit the superb diving spots, coves and islands like the Sombrero and Maricaban Islands. Along the coasts of Anilao, you have plenty of dive sites to choose from.

You can dive with us at your own pace. Rent a boat and spend time at the sea as you please. Come and experience a vast marine sanctuary here at the heart of a world class diving spot.

Our highly skilled Dive Masters can show you the splendor of Anilao’s rich coral gardens or take you down to a challenging cave dive on the famous shark reef.

You can contact me at sara@philtech.net for more details. We'll be very delighted to help you with your diving needs.

Thanks,
Sara Tuazon
PHILTECH: Scuba and Technical Diving in the Philippines
www.philtech.net.villaligaya/

I didn't realise Batangas was in either Palawan or The Visayas!

Kelpo you will get great diving in both locations although the Visayas is more renowned as a dive destination with the likes of Malapascua, Moalboal and Dauin all showing off the best the Philippines has to offer. The Visayas is somewhat more developed for accommodation, food and night life but then this is The Philippines so everything is still developing slowly which is why its such a charming place.

The Visayas are not effected by any of the political security issues mentioned by one of the posters above. Mindanao is in the Southern Philippines and is not really a place to go but I don't believe you are planning on going there either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom