Philippines or Palau--HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viva1

Registered
Reaction score
I've been getting suggestions from divers on the ultimate diving for my tastes and now I'm very confused. Originally I was planning on Palau with a possible trip to Yap to see the mantas. Someone responded that there is a lot of current (I'm not opposed to some drift diving, but like to be able to stay still and watch the fish up-close), big crowds at the best sites and it's expensive. I can afford PPR, but if diving is better in a less expensive country, all the better!

Then someone said I had to look into PI (Bohol, Damaguete, other--Puerto Galera? with a possible trip to Yap at the end). I looked into PI and it looked good. Possibly stay at Panglao, Bohol (Alona Beach?) and Atlantis Resort in Dumguete.

Then someone who has dived extensively in both countries (living in Alona Beach now, but dived 10 years in Palau) said that Palau is the ultimate and that I should go there and just put up with the current because the fish life is so varied and spectacular.

My diving goals are beautiful, colorful fish and coral, some big stuff is great, but not the be all and end all. I do love mantas (only saw them once in Bali and would love to see more, thus my plan to go to Yap for 4 days), but sharks are not as important. I like macro diving a lot, but LOVE beautiful reefs. I am a 2-3 tank diver/day and also love to snorkel if conditions are great (shallow water or tall reef near the surface--lots of fish). It would be nice if there were some interesting things to do on land, as well.

Sooooo...can any one help me with this decision? I'm goin' nuts! Thanks.

IMO the only place in the Philippines that can compete with Palau for Pelagic life is Tubbataha and that has to be done on a liveaboard and during a short season. Yes, many of Palau's dive sites have strong current and that is one of the reasons for the diverse marine life. There are not many dive locations left on the planet like Palau.

If money is not object the I would do a liveaboard in Palau. The daily transfer by speed boat from Koror(land based) is too tedious.
There are manta at German channel but probably not as spectacular as Yap.
Make it once a lifetime trip.
You can always go to Philippines with a tight budget and still has a good time. But you can't do that in Palau.

I think Centrals nailed it. If you have the money now do the Palau trip now, you can always do the Philippines.
I will say this though. Last year I did a week in Palau, then a week in Puerto Galera Philippines. I thought I would be let down a bit after Palau.
I was way wrong. Verde Island blew me away. Nothing in Palau was close to it for sheer volume of fish. It is an amazing place in its own right.

Which ever you choose, you should have a great time. I envy your problem!!!

I have never dived Palau, but my understanding is that it really is "the ultimate" as you say. I have dived a little in the Philippines, and whilst I would not criticise it, I just don't see it in quite the same hallowed light.

When are you planning on taking your trip? I ask because I will be in Palau at the end of this month, and would be happy to report back to you if you PM me.

Greetings!

This is Sara from PhilTech Divers. Philippines is the best Diving Destination for you. Anilao, Batangas, Philippines is a very popular spot for diving and is known worldwide. The waters are rich with marine life, abundant of corals and amazing diversity of fishes to explore.
Anilao, Batangas is one of the world-class diving spots in the Philippines. The dive sites in Anilao are excellent sites for photography because of the good visibility of marine life and diversity of fishes. From Villa Ligaya Resort, we can have a short boat-ride for island hopping and arrange for a dive tour and visit the superb diving spots, coves and islands like the Sombrero and Maricaban Islands. Along thecoasts of Anilao, you have plenty of dive sites to choose from.

We offer affordable Accommodation and Diving Packages for clients and special discounts can be availed for large groups. Our diving rates include use of speed boat, use of our tanks and fills, use of weights and belt,and the service of our in-house Dive Masters and Dive Pass (daily marine conservation fee).

Villa Ligaya Resort is a must-stay, after your recreational dive. Rest assured that our friendly staff will pamper you while keeping you safe on all your diving activities and our chef willcaptivate you with our famous Ligaya buffet, with various choices, all complementing one another.

Dive with us at your own pace. Rent a boat and spent time at the sea as you please. We even pack lunches should you wish to enjoy the day out on the surrounding beach islands.

Our dive station caters to recreational and technical divers. We provide rebreathers as well as training for all levels of certification. Our highly skilled Dive Masters can show you the splendor of Anilao’s rich coral gardens or take you down to a challenging cave dive on the famous shark reef.

Come and experience a vast marine sanctuary here at the heart of a world class diving spot. Villa Ligaya will take care of you.

You can contact me at sara@philtech.net for more details. We'll be very delighted to help you with your diving needs.

Thanks,
Sara Tuazon
PHILTECH: Scuba and Technical Diving in the Philippines
Villa Ligaya Home Page

Okay, my 2 cents again--probably worth a lot less.

I don't really care about sharks, either, but saw plenty else to love in Palau, particularly if you are already going to Yap.

I'm sure a liveaboard would be wonderful, but I don't agree that the long boat rides from Koror to the diving in Palau is tedious. The rock islands are amazingly gorgeous and after two weeks, I still wasn't tired of them. Also liked having lunch on a deserted beach, socializing with other divers, snorkeling in the shallows. Shrimpgobies and Napoleaon Wrasse right off the beach! Plus, there are the novelities of Jellyfish lake and the cave and the mandarins.

I have not been to Palau, but I really enjoyed my time in Puerto Galera. As kevinl4270 mentioned, Verde island was quite a spectacle and had the most amazing coral I have ever seen!

[video=vimeo;30709352]http://vimeo.com/30709352[/video]

I also went to french Polynesia this year and it was also quite amazing, but in a different way (sounds a little like Palau). FP had lots of big stuff (sharks, Mantas... ) and Philippines had amazing coral and lots of cool macro stuff, but not much big stuff (at least where I was).

If you do end up in The Philippines, I can highly recommend the Atlantis dive resort. They were very organized, professional, fun, and the food there was great. I would not hesitate to go back...

Back
Top Bottom