Dumaguete, Dauin, and Apo Island area damage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came back from a trip where I spent one week in dauin
the coastal site except very few have little coral anyway and there were few reefs crashed however still there were seahorses, flamboyant cuttlefish, various weird octopuses, ghost pipefish etc etc
for what concerns apo islands some dive sites such S rock point east are basically dead however the ones left are as they were
not sure what can be done by the authorities to be honest this is nature
in one block of broken coral in one of the dive sites there are now hundreds of mandarin fish...

Either way the small stuff I still there and the big stuff still surviving the fishing is still there too your trip will be fine
i am still editing the video and then I will post the link to the week spent in Dauin so you can see by yourself

One thing is true the viz is still bad on the coast howeveras this is mostly muck diving is actually not really an issue

Hi to all. Sorry to reopen an old thread.
My family and I did 2 dives in dauin and 1 dive in Masaplod. My last dive to the Artificial reef was maybe 6 years ago. There is definitely a change from last time. The smaller fuel tanks, I did not see. I only saw the Broncho. I was not able to visit the banka wreck. Critters were still there though, especially the resident lion fish family. The dauin sanctuary also took a hit. The hard lettuce corals were damaged. The reef was about 70% intact. A bonus, a resident turtle.

Masaplod has lost it's charm. The very large stag horn coral head is now half its size. We saw a turtle and the family of large sweetlips. Still with small schools of yellowfins. No jacks this time.

It was still a good dive.

Just sharing the info...

Happy diving

I just returned from there last week. Compared to 2 years ago when I was there, the visibility was really down. There seemed to be a lot of silt covering some of the coastal sites. Still found lots of critters though and thought it was still a great trip. They said they had a lot of rain the week before we were there and that is why the poor vis and silt.

Thanks for the updates! I'll be in Dauin for a week at the beginning of May so I'm hoping for no rain and settled-down silt.

Back
Top Bottom