Whalesharks - Philippines. Responsible Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crrodil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I saw this photo in the Philippine Department of Tourism's "More Fun in the Philippines" propaganda and was disappointed. Whalesharks have a protective layer of mucus and when you touch it, you destroy that layer, leaving it prone to deadly infections. This photo sends the wrong message that this is acceptable.

As a Pilipina-American and dive master who responsibly swam with them in the Galapagos, was disappointed as we should promote responsible tourism and preserve the beauty of the Philippines and whalesharks for future generations to enjoy.

I've emailed the Department of Tourism to replace this photo with a more responsible photo and to educate dive resorts of responsible interaction with whalesharks/ other sea creatures.

If you are concerned, I encourage you to do the same. If anyone knows the appropriate persons that should receive these concerns, please let us know.
Philippine Department of Tourism - Contact Us

Attachments

• 405910_2704945817659_1077161098_3285753_371701431_n.jpg
    405910_2704945817659_1077161098_3285753_371701431_n.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2,897
I will join you!

This poster is just WRONG!

Thank you Beaverdiver!! I hope that the appropriate people receive these emails / proper action is taken asap.

By the look of the small fishing bancas the photo appears to be in Oslob, Cebu. Locals are hand feeding the whale sharks and charging tourists a fee to take them up close and let them get in the water with them or just view them from the small boats. I visited Oslob when this all started and it seemed harmless enough. WRONG. As the word spread it has turned into a "circus".

Two whale sharks have already been injured per the LINK I posted in this forum.

THIS is the Philippine Dept. of Tourism page with numerous staff names and e mail addresses.

A few of them are:

Publication and Circulation Division
Mr. Guillermo Afuang Jr.
glafuangjr@tourism.gov.ph

Policy Formulation and Evaluation Division
Mr. Alex M. Macatuno
ammacatuno@tourism.gov.ph

Office of Tourism Standards
Dir. Ma. Rica C. Bueno
rcbueno@tourism.gov.ph

Last edited:
I saw this photo in the Philippine Department of Tourism's "More Fun in the Philippines" propaganda and was disappointed. Whalesharks have a protective layer of mucus and when you touch it, you destroy that layer, leaving it prone to deadly infections. This photo sends the wrong message that this is acceptable.

As a Pilipina-American and dive master who responsibly swam with them in the Galapagos, was disappointed as we should promote responsible tourism and preserve the beauty of the Philippines and whalesharks for future generations to enjoy.

I've emailed the Department of Tourism to replace this photo with a more responsible photo and to educate dive resorts of responsible interaction with whalesharks/ other sea creatures.

If you are concerned, I encourage you to do the same. If anyone knows the appropriate persons that should receive these concerns, please let us know.
Philippine Department of Tourism - Contact Us

Where was this posted? Thanks

Where was this posted? Thanks

Actually, the original photo was taken by Shawn Heinrichs, and it appeared in this article: LINK

It also included more photos such as this encounter:

article-2084508-0F6311C200000578-158_964x560.jpg

On the site which touts itself as the official site It?s more fun in the Philippines , I couldn't find the photo above - just this one:

Screenshot2012-01-16at84920PM.jpg

Anyhoo, the 1st time I saw these photos, I remembered my 1st encounters with whalesharks in Donsol and how we were all told that touching them was forbidden. I guess different areas have different rules...

Just to update - got these 2 responses from Rica at the PI Dept of Tourism that they're going to start working with the local Cebuan officials re proper guidelines and remove that photo. May be why the new "Status Update" photo was posted.

If anyone has any concerns/ continues to see improper actions, I do urge you to contact the individuals in Gilligan's email.

1 victory for whalesharks / green divers all around!

-----
Dear Christine,

This is to acknowledge receipt of your email..

I do agree with you that this is a big “no-no” and I believe
there were a lot of negative reactions when this was
posted on facebook.

Our regional office in Cebu is aware of this and in fact
will be working with the local government unit in Oslob
for appropriate trainings and guidelines re whale shark
interaction for the host community.

Many thanks for your concern.

Sincerely,

Rica Bueno
Director
Office of Tourism Standards and Regulations
-----------
Dear Weng,

For your information and appropriate action.

I understand our regional office will be working on
appropriate trainings and guidelines with Oslob LGU.

In the meantime, perhaps you can ask CDN or whoever posted
this photo to delete it.

Many thanks,

Rica

Shame about the policy but damn what a photo!!!

Thanks for speaking up!

I agree that - wrong as it is - that was one hell of a photo. In fact, that's what made this even worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom