2 whale sharks injured by spear & boat motor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This is a result of the "whale shark circus" that has evolved in Oslob, Cebu where whale sharks are being hand fed and tourists are flocking to see and be in the water with them. I was in Oslob when this all started and it seemed harmless enough. WRONG.

Like the article says:
"It was an accident—or attack—waiting to happen".

Cebu Daily News | Cebu's Only Independent Newspaper

Last edited:
Thank you / salamat for this Gilligan. I will certainly forward some concerns to the appropriate persons at PDOT. I hope this is put to a stop asap.

The Inquirer reported - 2 whale sharks injured by spear, motor banca

Mayor Ronald Guaren also denied yesterday reports that there were whale sharks wounded by a spear and a propeller of a motorized banca.

“Usahay maghimo gyud na sila ug storya. (Sometimes people tend to make up stories),” he said, adding he verified the reported incidents.

Last edited:
Thanks Don. Glad it may have been made up.

Still doesn't take away from the fact the fishermen have been following inappropriate protocol interacting w/ whalesharks (touching them and hand-feeding them).

Am pleased to hear that the PI DOT will help educate locals on proper interaction (similar to Donsol) so they can preserve the whalesharks / Philippines for future generations to enjoy and have successful tourism.

Thanks Don. Glad it may have been made up.

I did'nt say the story of the 2 whale sharks being injured is made up.

I only quoted what Mayor Ronald Guaren denied to the Inquirer newspaper. It is possible the politician is denying the story to protect the tourism industry.

Everyone knows reading the newspaper here is like ready a tabloid. What you read in the newspapers here is not always true and what politicians say is not always true either.

I only quoted what Mayor Ronald Guaren denied to the Inquirer newspaper. It is possible the politician is denying the story to protect the tourism industry.

Everyone knows reading the newspaper here is like ready a tabloid. What you read in the newspapers here is not always true and what politicians say is not always true either.

Given the choice I would believe the newspaper over any politician in any country :nopile:

Sorry for the confusion DonCebu - I sadly have to agree with Gilligan. I do hope this is put to a stop soon.

Back
Top Bottom