OK, I booked the flight. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I've been all over SE Asia and yet to check out the Philippines and found this forum as inspiration. SO, I booked a flight to Manila (clark) on the 29th. Now what?

from what I read PG is the place to start? I fly in at 8pm, what is the easiest/best way to get there?

Thinking PG, then Anilao, then what? what would be the must see. I will be bringing my camera. I could have as much as a month there too.

I am a true Backpack/diver I travel with my own gear and want to dive for as cheap as possible for as long as possible. The rest does not matter (within reason of course :) ).

I am traveling alone so if anyone is around let me know.

Thanks.

Clark is no where near Manila, probably not in Canadian standard, but nevertheless it is in another province!!!!
1. Overnight at Angeles and stay away from all those bars as you might never leave!!!
2. Bus from Dau to Manila(2hrs) and then to Batangas Pier onwards to PG. Try to arrive at the bus terminal no later than 12 noon and make sure you board a direct bus. There is a 14:45 boat to Sabang and may be another one later.
3. Find your own place in PG. Big Apple has cheap room but you better contact them first.
4. Anilao is NOT single diver friendly!!!!!!! Plenty of hidden charges!!! Good for macro though. Tough decision.
5. If you want REALLY good diving in Philippines then I am afraid you need to fly to Visayas or even Mindanao.

Alternatively, check if you can fly from Clark to Cebu City and leave out Anilao and PG completely. There is no reason to stay in Manila unless you are catching connection bus/flight.
If you want to wound up your trip on high note, spend your last few nights in Angeles(same warning) before leaving the country. Subic Bay is not too far from Clark and the wrecks are interesting. I would do that instead of staying at Angeles. Plenty of bars in Subic Bay especially around Barrio Baretto.

Check out post at the other thread on your trip

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/406455-anilao-cheap.html#post6195127

however, if you are at clark, why not dive subic , it would be just minutes from clark
and yout itinerary would look like this

1. arrive at clark
2. hang out around the area or around subic
3. dive subic and make arrangements to other destinations around philippines from dive resort at subic .

4. then go to clark take airplane to visayas or 6hours trip to batangas port to pg

as for Centrals reco, i would say as well, no point in dropping by manila area if you are here to dive the philippines. bypass manila , it will take up your limited time in the philippines instead of scuba diving the sites.

FYI- i reside in Metro Manila, well, techinically, mostly am in batangas :)

just opinion...

4. Anilao is NOT single diver friendly!!!!!!! Plenty of hidden charges!!! Good for macro though. country.

Centrals: Could you expand on this comment regarding the hidden charges. I'm going to Anilao in May with a group staying at Crystal Blue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Centrals: Could you expand on this comment regarding the hidden charges. I'm going to Anilao in May with a group staying at Crystal Blue. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think what everyone is talking about is during the week its slow, so if you are only one or two divers you get stuck paying for the whole boat, dive master and of course the dive fee. Your cost for two dives for one could run upwards of $100 USD or more. In PG or Alona most shops go so long as they get 2 or 3 divers and you only pay 1,000 to 1,300 p a dive.

Divengolf, are you going with the UWPG group? I will be there for the early May trip.

The problem(extra cost) that a single diver has to accept does not apply to group as Kern had explained.
Anilao is probably the only place in the country that is "singel diver" UNFRIENDLY.

OK that could work I don't have a set time. So subic would be easiest? Then from there to pg? The Philippines is so confusing :)
You made a serious mistake of flying into Clark instead of Cebu/Manila if you are thinking to go to PG!!
Subic is very near to Clark(Angeles) but I wouldn't like to travel so late at night on a public transport. From Clark you have to travel to Dau(bus terminal) first and wait for any bus heading to Olongapo or beyond(eg. Iba). You also have to decide where would you like to stay Olongapo, Subic Bay(Free Port) or Baloy Beach(Barrio Barreto)? First night in the country could be a nightmare!
Pre-arranged your stay at Subic and ask them to pick you up at the airport would be my recommendation.
Subic is around 3-4 hrs from Manila depends on the traffic as well as the mode of travelling(private or public). If you are using public transport then you are more than likley would be using Victory Liner(name of bus company). There is a Victory Liner bus terminal in Olongapo and make sure you buy the ticket to PASAY and NOT Caloocan or Cubao. Bus departs every 30 mins and some are Express(save at least 1 hr). Pasay terminal on EDSA and is not too far from Buendia. Take a taxi. Leave Olongapo around 7am and you should be able to make it to PG on the same day. If you can complete the trip in less than 7hrs by using public transport then you should buy yourself a big drink in PG!!
Manila does not have a central bus terminal and most companies have their own scattered around some areas.

"Kilili" had given a very detail descriptions on travelling to PG.

Getting there is half the fun

Kenr:
Divengolf, are you going with the UWPG group? I will be there for the early May trip.

Ken,

Yes, I am with that group arriving in Manila on May 6th AM.

Harry

Ok thanks. I managed to "change" my ticket ($90 cancellation fee on a $106, ticket) to arrive in Manilla at 4am. Avoiding a stay in $ingapore all together. This is going to be one hell of traveling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom