video malapascua 1-20-2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab1412000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
just sharing a short video of my dive trip to malapascua last week.

[video=vimeo;35605861]http://vimeo.com/35605861[/video]

panasonic zs3

The divemaster with the sea snake in his hands should be addressed by his diving agency. What is all that about?
I have seen in the philippines DMs beating a crinoid and moving nudibranches to allow photopragher to take good shots, that is not only wrong but also sad. A creature should be left alone and a video or picture should represent a natural setting.
Using no touch techniques is borderline such as lights or moving objects to get the animal curious but grabbing animals is a bad idea and we have seen many examples in the community of people injuring themselves or the animal
time to call it a day shame as that ruins an otherwise interesting video

The divemaster with the sea snake in his hands should be addressed by his diving agency. What is all that about?
I have seen in the philippines DMs beating a crinoid and moving nudibranches to allow photopragher to take good shots, that is not only wrong but also sad. A creature should be left alone and a video or picture should represent a natural setting.
Using no touch techniques is borderline such as lights or moving objects to get the animal curious but grabbing animals is a bad idea and we have seen many examples in the community of people injuring themselves or the animal
time to call it a day shame as that ruins an otherwise interesting video

i agree with your points. i have seen many a dm and photographer destroy sealife just to get the 'perfect shot'.
however i have to say that this dm did hold the creature with the utmost care. he is the oldest dive guide in malapascua and he shows respect and consideration for sealife. however with that being said, i would not recommend it be done by anyone else since they could die fataly and they wouldnt know how to handle such an animal as to not harm it.

but i like your observation and will let him know next time i dive there. im sure he will agree.

If I were you I would edit that clip and cut that scene off it gives the wrong idea to people and who watches the video does not have any background on the Dm etc etc

All I ever hear about sea snakes is how deadly their venom is and thus I rather enjoyed the snake scene as it showed how docile they can be. I don't believe it was harmed in any way. When we go diving, we become sea creatures as well and thus are interacting with others whether we like it or not. How many animals cruising by avoid an area because they can hear/detect the bubbles of divers? How often do you see clouds of fish in the distance swimming scared to stay at the perimeter of your vision? Have any of you watched an eel at night utilize the beam from your dive light to catch its prey? With life running scared in every direction around us and divers standing on the benthos, who cares if we move a sea star a few feet or handle a sea snake out of mutual curiosity (note that its tongue was smelling the air). Its not as if it was speared or anything.

That said, I really enjoyed the thresher footage. Malapascua is high up on my bucket list. One day, hopefully soon.

Thanks smelz, I really don't feel the need or desire to edit out the snake video but I do get where intercept is coming from. I've seen too many photographers harass and even harm sea creatures and damage coral. Just using a flash or video light for 15 minutes can be highly stressful, and even harmful to certain creatures. It's one of the reasons why I only shoot for limited periods of time.

Sent from my samsung galaxy s2 using tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom