divemaster and continue working in phil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeza04

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, looking to relocate to phils in the next 3-9 months. I want to up to dive master and maybe higher if suitable and to continue to work in phils after that. How hard is it to find someone who would want me? I have had foreign dive masters before in phils, but a lot are locals too. I would rather a half decent sized city to base myself in, as I have another business idea on the side. What kind of money can you except as a new foreign dive master? Any place to recommend? Im thinking dumaguete, cebu or subic, I've been to all and like the cites.

hi, welcome to scubaboard. Great way to get informed about everything releated to diving in PH

I made a similar topic a while back. Main answers;

- not possible; too many local DM's
- doesn't pay enough to substain a foreigner in PH
- many experienced DMs that will be picked before they select a newbie
- permit issues
- ethical issue; a local DM supports a whole family. For you it's (pbb) just a nice experience

It's apperantly easier in Thailand.. Met a girl who did a DM followed by instructor course and could start right away, mainly cause she speaks German.

sorry if I demotivate you..

Again sorry to demotivate you, but unless you bring some extra-ordinary skill to the Philippines in addition to being a "new" DM, the salary you can expect would be close to zero. If you are thinking of another business here, stick with it and dive for fun..

Cheers,
Roger

I suspected the same, however curious since i have dived with foreign dms who didn't appear to be anything special...perhaps friend of the shop owner or something

As others have said, most of the DMs working in the Philippines are locals. The money is (relatively) good for them and they amass a huge amount of local experience. They're preferable for dive centre employers for many reasons, pay and conditions obviously...and especially that they bring good links with the local community and authorities.

The foreigners I know who work here all do so on various resident visas, not working visas. Many are married to Filipinas (instant residency), have invested money in a local business/employment that gains them residency (set-up and run a company here), or are on a 'special retirement' type visa. Without one of those options a DM simply couldn't afford to pay for a work permit and visa, let alone live any sort of decent life.

Here in Subic, I don't know of any DM or Instructor (Filipino or foreign) that has less than several thousand dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom