Dive Resorts in Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajo007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

We are going to Subic Bay to do some diving mid June and are thinking of diving through Johans Beach and Dive Resort, do any of you have any experience with this dive resort with regards to diving, accommodations etc. or any other suggestions?

Cheers
Scubajo007

Andy (DevonDiver on SB) runs a dive operation in Subic Bay. When I was planning a trip their last year he gave me lost of very useful advice (although in the end I never went).

I stayed at Johan's last year in a budget room because I needed to cut expenses. It was a no-frills budget room, worth what little I paid for it so no complaints. They have nicer and more expensive rooms but I can't comment on those.

I also can't comment on their dive operation since I dived with Vasco's, located in the Freeport Zone or whatever it is they call the former Navy base. Vascos Resort and Museum, Subic Bay, Philippines Vasco's has a nice hotel and restaurant and when I was there the dive center was run by a guy named Jayson, and the dive center's services were fine. Johan's does a lot more diving business than Vasco's so you're more likely to meet other divers hanging around the bar or restaurant in the evenings, if that's an issue for you. On the other hand Vasco's might offer much more personalized service.

Johans is in Baloy beach, if 'we' is a group of single guys you'll be fine, if 'we' is a couple/husband/wife then you may want to consider alternative locations.

The three main options are Johans, Vascos or Boardwalk. I'd suggest Boardwalk is the choice of the three for diving but accommodation can be a little more disjointed - Mango Valley is the easiest option and is very close, it's also a good area to be located if you are the second 'we' option above. Johans and Vascos both offer accommodation in the same location.

Hope that helps

Karl

Hi Karl,

We means husband and wife. Im just curious, can you give a hint why Johan's may not be a very good idea, the thing is she have seen the web page and is keen on the place, but of course, if there are loads of loose ladies hanging around then that may change her mind.

Scubajo007

Hi Karl,

We means husband and wife. Im just curious, can you give a hint why Johan's may not be a very good idea, the thing is she have seen the web page and is keen on the place, but of course, if there are loads of loose ladies hanging around then that may change her mind.

Scubajo007
You won't usually find any of those in the resort unless they are accompanied by "clients"! However, there is a floating bar near-by which is full of.....and there is another one just down the road at Blue Rock.

"Sheaven's" offers better room though. sheavens.com

Subic Free Port and Baloy Beach.
Getting around the Free Port is NOT easy!
Baloy Beach is better but there are tons of girlie bars stone throw away!!

Hi Karl,

Scubajo007

As centrals said the only girls in the resort will be with 'clients', the floating bar about 50ft from the restaurant will be full though.

Generally you will get no hassle, but you will find it hard to miss the obvious 'business' taking place around the area.

Unfortunately the 'sexpat' lifestyle is very much alive in Baloy Beach, you can always remember the girls are just trying to make a living but sadly there not much excuse for most of their customers.

The bay itself can be stunning and there's plenty of good places to stay, but as a husband and wife couple I'd suggest the Marina area, it's more expensive but a much nicer place.

Hope that helps!

for accomodations, I would recommend "wild orchid" as I find it reasonably priced and nice accomodation. I cannot comment though on Johans or other dive operations near that resort as I'd usually go with "boardwalk" and "dante" one of its resident DMs for my diving requirements.

How about staying at Camayan Beach Resort with Ocean Adventure next door? They are inside the Free Port.

Just to add, with a little more recent info....

Arizona Resort (Barretto Beach) now has a full-function dive center - combining a nice resort, great food and professional diving. Run by the same team who operate diving at Vascos, but in a more 'tourist friendly' location (Vascos being a little isolated IMHO).

Johan's is a pedigree dive center, with a great dive team. A laid-back resort atmosphere, with decent food and a good selection of imported drinks/beers. Located in Baloy Beach - there are no 'girlie bars' are permitted in that area, although the off-shore 'floating bars' manage to circumvent that regulation.

However, all the resorts 'floating bars' will be closed/removed soon, in preparation for the rainy/monsoon/typhoon season.

Boardwalk has excellent resources, especially for technically orientated diving, and the dive staff are phenomenal... but is located inside SBMA - which means you need to source either a Filipino or Korean managed/focused hotel. IMHO, accommodation quality inside SBMA is not comparable to the western-orientated resorts in Baloy/Barretto areas. Also, inside SBMA, there is no cheap/public transport (jeepney/trike is banned), so you have to rely on (expensive) taxi to get anywhere... or hire a car/driver for the duration of your stay.

Blue Rock is an excellent resort - top quality food..especially if you like seafood/grill, nice rooms, relaxed atmosphere. Live band every night and very diverse clientele... many couples, families and local guests.

I don't recommend any foreign visitor to rent a car/self-drive in the Philippines when visiting.

The beach at SBMA is pretty foul. Much nicer/cleaner along Baloy/Barretto area. Even nicer further around the Bay.

Pretty much all of the foreigner-orientated resorts in the Baloy/Barretto area will have their share of elderly 'sexpats'. That said, the resorts themselves enjoy a wide mixture of clientel - local expats, visitors from HK/Singapore/China, serious divers and couples etc... Like many things, if you don't go looking for it, you won't really notice it. All of the 'girlie bars' are located along the national highway outside SBMA/Barretto area. If you don't go there, then you wouldn't know it existed. That said, I see a lot of tourist couples go bar-hoping around that area, because it's harmless fun and can be a good laugh (note: the 'girlie bars' don't have nudity/strip/sex shows etc like their equivalents in Thailand)... I guess that's a matter of taste/attitude. Expect friendly conversation, funny antics and good (if a little 'retro') music.

nelsondejesus:
Wild Orchid is the 'premium' resort - lovely place! However, for a tourist without a car, it's a long trip to get to Boardwalk every day for diving. I notice a lot of locals seem to forget that overseas visitors don't have a car at their disposal....

Baloy Beach to Boardwalk would involve:

Public transport: 1x Trike from Baloy to National Highway (10 mins/50php) then 1x Trike (15 mins/130php)/Jeepney (15 mins/12php) to the SBMA gate, then a taxi to Boardwalk (2 mins/50php).
or
Private taxi: 350-500php each-way at 'tourist prices'.

Karl: With all due respect, there's plenty more variety of clientele in Baloy than just sexpats. Again, SBMA for the tourist is frustrating - no public transport means expensive taxi rides every time you want to go somewhere different. Also, the general standard of accommodation and food inside SBMA is shockingly poor compared to the western-owned resorts in Baloy/Barretto (i.e. Arizona, Blue Rock, Johans).

The new Ayala mall...and the 'Texas Joes' restaurant now offer more food options... but, again, require transport to get to inside SBMA. From my experience, those western tourists who stay inside SBMA get bored quickly... and/or spend a relative fortune on taxis.

rhoneman: I'm a freelancer (not a business operation), but run courses via/for several of the resorts/centers there, including Johans, Boardwalk, Blue Rock, Subic Scuba College (now closed), Vascos and, more recently, Arizona. Have great relations with all the owners/staff there - not biased between them, but do advise visitors/students based on their individual preferences/budgets/requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom