Oslob Cebu Philippines for whale shark or butanding scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be going to Oslob Cebu on August 25, 2012 for whale shark Butanding scuba diving.

1. Does anyone know if the whale sharks will still be in Oslob area around August 25, 2012 time range?
2. Is there a dive operation in the area so that i can go scuba diving with the whale sharks?
3. Are there any nice resorts or hotels in Oslob area?
4. Are there any scuba diving operations in Oslob area?

Let me know............thanks.

1. Yes I can assure you that will be around on that date.
2 & 4. Yes, there are private resorts that offer scuba diving.
3. There are some good resorts but far from the area of whale sharks.

Please visit our site oslobwhalesharks.com for more info.

It worries me that you can ensure that a creature with natural migration is guaranteed to be in Oslob in 2 months time. Perhaps further enlightenment on the situation in the area and the negative impact on behavioral patterns.

I think enough has been said on this subject from both sides, and if people require information on the situation they need only look at threads on PPD over the last 6 months.

1. what dive operations cover trips to Oslob and that general area?
2. are there any OK hotels in the Oslob area? i do not need a resort?

Coincidently I just drove to Oslob yesterday to check out the different Snorkeling and Dive Ops at Oslob who are catering to those wanting the Whaleshark experience. There appeared to be a well run operation offering dives(from shore) it was reasonably priced I think one dive "without" your own equipment would run 3000+ PHP all inclusive, less with your own equipment.

I dont think anyone can guarantee that the Whale Sharks will be there. However, the feeding of the Whalesharks by the locals seems to be keeping them there.

Cheers,
Roger

1. roger, could you give me names and any way i might be able to contact a few of the places there? i am planning to be down there in 2 months.

2. i see you are in moalboal, right? did the sardines leave from moalboal? i had heard they were gone now.

let me know.......thanks.

You can contact AARON Beach Resort and address your email to JC. Their Email is aaronbeachresort@yahoo.com you can call them at +63 922 515 9920 ... After walking around and looking at some of the different ops this is who I will send people to.

The sardines as you remember them at Pescador still have not returned. I was in a small school of sardines last week but it is not what we previously had... Hope they return... We still have tons of turtles and a few really great dive sites though...

Cheers,
Roger

Cheers,
Roger

sorry for the last reply. i will email JC today.

thanks roger .....100000%

they feed the whale sharks daily so there is a group of them that never leave. they love people around them, and dont worry about not seeing them. Just try to bring your own gear if you dont mind that whole hassle. the gear there is older, and you might be sipping on salt water on your dive. no joke. A lot of places are like that. In all my diving, we tourist just seem to find it funny for some reason. probably the drinking afterwards. I will be there in oslob on and off for six weeks starting aug 1st. I have decided that this time i'm taking my gear. also, if your a big guy like me. you will fit into a large but be looking like the fat guy in the small suit. haha. Some places do not have the big bcd's. just keep that in mind. if you are thinking about going to moalboal for the sardines, they are gone, but when they were there is was magical. fishing for them was forbidden but filipinos have to make a living too. not everyone works in the tourist business. at night you would see all the small boats on top of the school of sardines. I am really familiar with Cebu, if you have any questions just let me know.
i forgot, go to turtle bay in moalboal if you want to get good gear and a really nice place to stay for about $70 a night. They can provide transportation to oslob but its like an hour drive. if you want to stay in oslob, its only about $34 not as nice, but good, just remember the pics on the internet where probably taken when the place was built, turtle bay is the only place i have ever stayed outside of cebu city that looks like its pics when you show up.
malonzo pension house is the best cheapest way to go. about $30 a night, never in all my trips has anything ever been stolen. only dirtbag tourist promising the local girls fiance petitions if they fool around. and they will, it is sad, but as nice as oslob is, the people want out of the philippines badly. they want to make money to send home to help their family. i am married to a pina and lucky for me, they have more money then me. haha. I actually own a business outside of moalboal that is why i know so much. but please be aware that a lot of what i read about the philippines on these boards are written by people who maybe visited and really dont know what they are talking about. you will enjoy anywhere in the phils as long as your remember you are in the phils.
also remember every dive shop there will promise you the world about seeing whatever you ask to see. i learned the hard way years ago on that one. the best way to go, if you don't have to skimp, just go to the oslob dive shop, they have good rooms and your right there, and the gear is better then other places. omg, i almost started laughing thinking of some of the gear i've rented over the years. its like stuff you would find on craigslist to hang on your wall. this time i'm just taking my stuff and leaving it at my brother in laws. that reminds me, if you are scuba pro, like my gear, dont get it serviced there. they will claim that they are scuba pro affiliated to extend warranty but most likely not. that being said, they do service scuba gear ok and super cheap. i still have it done here in the states. but my sons gear is sherwood and we have it serviced there and they do a good job. then again, its sherwood, anyone can service it easily.
If you have a filipino friend, have them rent you the room, you will get a local rate, there are two prices for everything.

I will be going to Oslob Cebu on August 25, 2012 for whale shark Butanding scuba diving.

1. Does anyone know if the whale sharks will still be in Oslob area around August 25, 2012 time range?
2. Is there a dive operation in the area so that i can go scuba diving with the whale sharks?
3. Are there any nice resorts or hotels in Oslob area?
4. Are there any scuba diving operations in Oslob area?

Let me know............thanks.

---------- Post added July 30th, 2013 at 08:34 AM ----------

oslob dive center, it there and easy. they have housing but its cheaper to stay at malonzo pension house, cheap and clean. do not travel from moalboal and travel back and forth, its a long winding road. if you can, just take your own gear. if you just want to snorkel with them to save money, its basically the same whale sharks your looking at this time of year. they never leave, they are hand feed so they are there waiting for there food same time same place. it is a lot cheaper and you dont have to lug your gear around. But if you want a good night life after diving, lots of people from all over the world, mostly germans diving, go to moalboal. go to one bar, all koreans, go to another, germans, go to others mixed. its a good place to have fun. then around 9pm when you have had a few drinks, out comes the girls parading in and out of the bars looking for a boyfriend.

---------- Post added July 30th, 2013 at 08:37 AM ----------

aaron beach house is nice. really simple, that is what makes it so nice. that and the fact that it is actually clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom