Puerto Galera Sept - Dez: when to go, and when not to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Average

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys

I plan on taking a group of friends to PG (never been) this year. Some will do their very first dives, others are advanced. Now its really hard to find the best date to go, just because we're potentially between 4 and 12 people (depending on all their individual factors for time/money/vaction time etc)... so it's kinda hard to set a date. Of course I will try to take a date that accomodates the most people possible.

We're going for 2 Weeks. Initially I wanted to go in September, right after the high season... but I think alot of the people can't go at the beginning of september.

so:

Until what time is PG still good for diving? (Hurricane season?)
When is it not advisable to go...and...
when is the rain season over and its ok again?

Before I over them a few dates, I want to make sure none of them are in a "nono" zone for Puerto Galera.

Much appreciated!

Go at around late Sept. or late Nov. early Dec.. make sure check weather forecast because its typhoon season. well last year the diving condition is better and mostly the dive sites have good visibility when there is no typhoon warning/signal on the area.

If you have anymore questions.. you can check us out at Angelyn's Dive Resort - Sabang Beach Puerto Galera, Philippines

Last edited:
Since we're a bunch of people that all have to check with work/family etc, I can't just check the weather 2 days before and decide :)

Think is, I want to set the date this month, and then go ahead and find out how many will join, and book everything from flight to rooms.... so is there a time where typhoons are know to hit with certainty? And maybe a zone, that tends to be more safe?

Nov.-May is the best time of year for Puerto Galera! The rainy season will be ending in Nov. May starts getting very hot!
Puerto Galera has the most varied diving you can find in one stop. Begining to Advanced, to Tech. you can find it all!
The Visayas' region does not get Typhoons as much as the rest of the country. Great diving also!

Last edited:
omg, so the best thing would be to try to postphone it back to November....

Okt-Sept is in the middle of it then? How "bad" is September.

What does "Hurricane" Season look like? Cows flying through the air and old ladies with umbrellas, or just "1 shower for one hour" every day?

Typhoon season is LOTS of rain and wind! In 2005 when I was there, it seemed someone turned the water off at the end of Oct. Most of the Typhoons hit the north, with rare incursions into the central, Visayas, region.
If Sept. is your best option, then concentrate on the central region. Moalboal, Malapascua, Panglao Is., Dumagete are all good choices. Each has great merits. most are quiet, but Panglao, and Dauin,(Dumagete), are nearbigger cities if you are looking for a little night life. Puerto Galera does have more night life if that is what you are looking for. You should be able to fly in to Cebu city,(actually Lapu-Lapu city, Mactan Is.) for all these, with Moalboal and Malapascua both are a three hour ride from Cebu city, with Malapascua Is. an additional boat ride! Panglao Is. and Dumagete are a fast ferry ride from Cebu docks. (Panglao Is. is actually Bohol for your ferry destination!).
All are great choices!!!

It will take as a while to get to Manila (from Switzerland) so another appeal of PG, is that once in Manila, the journey is almost over.

So for PG I guess we need to either make it early September, or November, to escape the Hurricanes....

sept -oct-nov is the height of typhoon season. looks at www.typhoon2000.com and check history

wow, its super detailed, but also very confusing. I think there is no data und PG specifically... The way typhoons hit the individual places varies a lot, depending on the landscape etc... so I guess actual estimation from people that live there is still the best data.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom