Tubbataha Diving aboard the Azores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDSC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A couple of weeks ago I was in the Philippines and had a chance to take a tour of the Atlantis liveaboard Azores. Really nice boat. I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to do this liveaboard on their Tubbataha itinerary. I am thinking of at least a half boat charter for 2015 but would like to hear any actual experiences folks may have had on this boat and diving Tubbataha in general. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I have done Tubbataha on one of the now defunct Expedition Fleet vessels but not the Atlantis Azores (though I saw them on the same reef a few times when I did it). I enjoyed diving Tubbataha because of the life along the walls, lush and alive. Lots of opportunities to encounter sharks, rays, and mantas depending on when you are there. Turtles are a common sight from the surface and underwater. Tubbataha Park is only open to divers and visitors between late Feb (I believe) and late June. I was there early March and there was not much action compared to reports from the April batch but it was still a fun trip with lots to see. A lot of shallow water areas have fields of smashed coral. Some due to fishing activities in the distant past, coral bleaching, and wave action. That's how atolls are made anyway, from coral rubble and sand being crunched up by marine life such as turtles and Parrot Fish, and wave action over the shallows. All diving are made from chase boats. I think the Atlantis Azores is the same way. All dives are wall dives sometimes with current and sometimes slack. I prefer diving with current because the large animals tend to be present when there is current. Also, currents bring out feeding fish from the reefs. Bring reef hooks. My hands got really tired holding on to rocks and fighting the current just to get a nice view of the animal action. I would do Tubbataha several times more during my lifetime. I do not think I will ever get tired of it.

Thanks Joe. The Azores does use the chase boats to dive from. From what I can tell, the "prime time" so to speak is late April or the first of May. Booking this far out should land me one of those weeks if I book for 2015. I just got back from doing both of the Atlantis land based resorts and that is a well run operation. I suspect the Azores is as well. I have seen reports that the food on the Azores may be the best of all the liveaboards. If it's even close that would be some great food.

Dived Tubattaha from three different boats. It is the best in the country.
What you pay is what you get but I would rather dive from eg Moonshadow(3 wks) than Azores(1 wk).

Dived Tubattaha from three different boats. It is the best in the country.
What you pay is what you get but I would rather dive from eg Moonshadow(3 wks) than Azores(1 wk).

Would you mind expanding on this? I really didn't catch your point.

Would you mind expanding on this? I really didn't catch your point.
Moonshadow/Dschubba charges Eur 990.00 for 5D/6N or 1,300 for 7D/8N.
While the Azores charges nearly 3 times more.
Have been on Moonshadow(old boat and replaced by Dschubba) before and I have confidence on Mark. He has well over 15yrs experience on diving Tubattaha.
As I had said what you pay is what you get but I can do without pampering. I would rather spend the money on diving.

Thanks Joe. The Azores does use the chase boats to dive from. From what I can tell, the "prime time" so to speak is late April or the first of May. Booking this far out should land me one of those weeks if I book for 2015. I just got back from doing both of the Atlantis land based resorts and that is a well run operation. I suspect the Azores is as well. I have seen reports that the food on the Azores may be the best of all the liveaboards. If it's even close that would be some great food.
How about the siren? I was under the impression it was the nicest boat to go to tubbataha

Have not seen that boat but they typically have really nice boats. Their safety record may be a little shaky right now if they are the fleet who has lost a couple of boats in the past few years.

Have not seen that boat but they typically have really nice boats. Their safety record may be a little shaky right now if they are the fleet who has lost a couple of boats in the past few years.

Thanks for the positive comments on our yachts (you too Hike :))

Indeed we did lose two yachts during 2012 - two very separate incidents in two different countries, with no guests or crew injuries though!

The Philippine Siren has been in operation since 2009 and our Tubbataha trips are sold out very quickly... thats likely a testament to the quality of the diving as it is to our yacht. However from 2014 Tubbataha season onwards we will be operating an even newer liveaboard vessel in the Philippines - so we move onwards to bigger and better things:)

The Atlantis Azores is a good quality, strong boat so you won't go wrong if you were to book a trip on her and if you have experienced their land based operations you would know they offer quality staff also...

We do currently have a few trips open for half charter (8 people) in 2015 so please feel free to pm our team if you would like more information.

Wishing you a wonderful dive vacation which ever option you choose!
Siren Fleet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom