luggage and Cebu Pacific air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmy71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all.

I am trying to figure out my luggage situation on my flights with Cebu Pacific air. Anyone who has experience or suggestions please chime in.

According to what I have read on there site, we have paid for 30kgs of weight in our checked bag (one each). We are allowed 7kg for our carry on.

We can upgrade our checked baggage up to 45kgs even though the website says in multiple locations "Check-in bag must not exceed 32kg per piece in accordance with the occupational safety rule. Any bag exceeding 32kg will not be accepted as check-in baggage."
We can also pay for the sports equipment option which adds 15kgs, but we would still run into the problem above.

What I want to do is pay/have a second checked bag of 23kgs, but what I read seems like I am only able to have one checked bag. Between me and my wife, we will have three bags of 23kg each.

The only contact info they have is phone numbers in other countries (I'm in the USA). I have sent an email to the only one they have listed which is for group booking.

Thanks
Jimmy

When I fly with them, with dive gear, I always opt for the "Sports Equipment Fee." This way you get a second piece of luggage at a flat rate ~1000peso. Hope this helps.

so that got you an extra bag? All I was able to read was that it gave us an extra 15kgs. It says nothing about an extra bag. Do they handle bags differently than I am understanding? Do they just care about total weight and not the number of bags to equal that weight?

so that got you an extra bag? All I was able to read was that it gave us an extra 15kgs. It says nothing about an extra bag. Do they handle bags differently than I am understanding? Do they just care about total weight and not the number of bags to equal that weight?
1. Sport equipment must be packed in a separate bag. Click on the Travel Services, on the drop bar go to Add on and......
2. The 32kg allowance is only applicable for the flight to Dubai. All the rest(international) is 45kg.

Help me understand a few things because it still does not make sense. I have read the website a few times. It seems to me that they only care about the total weight of checked baggage and not the total number of items checked. Please confirm this if true.
I am making this assumption based on these things stated on the website.

10. I have 2 bags weighing 15kg each. I availed of the Sports Equipment Fee online even if I won’t be bringing a sports equipment. Do I have to pay anything at the airport?
Yes, you will be charged 15kg excess baggage. The Sports Equipment fee strictly covers sports equipment only

10. Can guests traveling as a group be allowed to pool their pre-paid baggage allowances?
Yes, as long as everyone in the group is booked under one record locator and they are all present at time of check-in

13. What is the maximum weight for each check-in baggage?
Check-in bag must not exceed 32kg per piece in accordance with the occupational safety rules to avoid injury to porters.

14. What happens if a guest has more than 32kg in one bag?
Guest will have to lessen the contents from the bag weighing more than 32kg and transfer the contents to another check-in or carry-on bag. Any bag exceeding 32kg will not be accepted as check-in baggage.

The fact that they will pre-sell me 45kg of weight only makes sense with questions 13 and 14 if they do not care how many bags the weight is in. Otherwise it is kind of crazy. I did see the 35kg max weight restriction for traveling to Dubai which is not of my concern.

So what confuses me is that 30kg of baggage is 600 PHP and 45kg is 1100 PHP (only 500 more). Why would I pay 1000 PHP to claim it as sports equipment?

I think why this has all confused me is that the USA airlines not only charge us per checked bag, but also for the weight.
example in US:
you have two checked bags weighing 23kg each. First checked bag is 25 USD with 23kg allowed. Each additional bag is 50 USD PLUS you pay for the additional weight over your initial 23kg.

I know it is a long post but I hope i have made my confusion clear :confused:

Jimmy

PS. While I think about this. I guess claiming it as sports equipment would make sense if I needed 60kg of weight as I can only pre buy 45kgs.

So what confuses me is that 30kg of baggage is 600 PHP and 45kg is 1100 PHP (only 500 more). Why would I pay 1000 PHP to claim it as sports equipment?
Cebu Pacific is NOT the only budget carrier that charges premium for "sport equipment" eg. Air Asia and may be Tiger Airways as well.
From my past experience, sport equipment must be checked in separately. But if you put everything in a single bag it is highly unlikely that the airline will check the content provided you did not purchase any sport allowance.

They charge you more for being honest.

Would the ground crew ask you to transfer the content to another bag when it is over 32kg? I do not know. Pack a duffel bag just in case!

If you have 60kg then you have to buy the Sport Equipment(15kg) on top of the maximum allowance(45kg). In that case you might be travelling with three bags.

Anyone who has experience or suggestions please chime in.

Experience: The singular worst airline I've ever flown with. One of the few airlines to have their own (active) 'hate group' on Facebook. Disgustingly rude check-in staff... jaw droppingly so.

Suggestions: Avoid flying with them, unless desperate. If forced to use them, expect the worst levels of service, rudeness and inefficiency. Take everything and anything in writing with you to the check-in..boarding etc.. otherwise any promises they make, or anything you may have paid for, will not be honored. Be prepared for small print - they won't even give you the small print (go figure), but there probably is some.. and it means it'll cost you more etc etc

I wouldn't stress too much about the confusing nature of the information on their website...it's probably years out of date and none of their check-in or sales support staff will have a clue about it anyway..

I will be traveling with myself and my wife. We will have three checked bags that weigh roughly 23kg each. She is going to prepay for 30kg and I 45kg (75kg total). The website says we can pool weight. Do you think they will have issues with checking the three bag in this instance?

---------- Post added April 8th, 2013 at 08:58 AM ----------

Experience: The singular worst airline I've ever flown with. One of the few airlines to have their own (active) 'hate group' on Facebook. Disgustingly rude check-in staff... jaw droppingly so.

Suggestions: Avoid flying with them, unless desperate. If forced to use them, expect the worst levels of service, rudeness and inefficiency. Take everything and anything in writing with you to the check-in..boarding etc.. otherwise any promises they make, or anything you may have paid for, will not be honored. Be prepared for small print - they won't even give you the small print (go figure), but there probably is some.. and it means it'll cost you more etc etc

I wouldn't stress too much about the confusing nature of the information on their website...it's probably years out of date and none of their check-in or sales support staff will have a clue about it anyway..

bummer. sorry to hear it. I have already booked the tickets. Now I am just trying to figure out how to make it work

First I am assuming that this is an internal flight within the philippines. No problem as long as the total does not exceed your 75 kg limit. I am not aware of the 32 kg/bag rule but with what you describe you won't have any problem with that rule. I have seen some people distribute that weight allowance over 5 or 6 pieces of anything from plastic bags of clothes to boxes of fruit. That being said their service is another matter. As they say, you get what you pay for. Delays are routine, especially with the current congestion at our airports. I just came from a flight to the south of the Philippines and we were delayed for about an hour. Don't expect any inflight snacks. They are not that strict with the 7kg/1 pc. carry-on rule as long as it does not look bulky and would fit easily on the overhead bin. I usually travel with a backpack with my regs and carry a separate drybox with my P&S camera and housing without any problems. They are a bit strict though for the smaller turboprop planes servicing destinations like Coron (Busuanga) and Boracay.

Back
Top Bottom