Expats / Residence / 6 month+ Stay - Philippines Immigration changes to ECC process

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
To all EXPATS living/residing in the Philippines. Please note:

The rules on EMIGRATION CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE (ECC) have changed this week. No warning was given and the changes are NOT publicized on the immigration website. Actually, the regulations on the Philippines Immigration website haven't been changed since 2008 (and were already grossly outdated).

According to copy of memo I got from the immigration sub-office and was also shown/explained at the airport: EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, ECC is only processed by the Main Immigration Office in Manila. It is NOW only valid three (3) days prior to departure.

Again... no warning was given of this. It was not publicized...and the sub-offices didn't know of it in advance. The sub-office assured me on Friday that I could get ECC with them... I drove there specially on Tuesday, and.... I could NOT(cost me 18,000php in missed flights).

If you've been in the Philippines longer than six (6) months and require an ECC for departure... you cannot now get one directly at the airport, or from a local immigration sub-office.

Please check those requirements out long before your flight to avoid frustrating and (very) costly disappointments.... especially if you live, or intend to fly, a long distance from Manila (i.e. Cebu airport etc).

I'll post copy of the memo tomorrow..

Andy, I feel sorry for you for having to go through such a dilemma. But, that's how life is in the Philippines. The Philippine goverment will always be what they are: inefficient, disorganized (does not know what its left and right hands are doing) and bureacractic. Thanks for sharing this news. I know of a relative who will need to know about this change.

Are you married to a Filipina? If you are you can get one year 'balikbayan' stamped at the airport upon arrival. This is what I do when I visit. Sometimes they ask for a marriage certificate and sometimes they don't. A copy works. Then you don't need the iCard and worry about anything.

dizok - you would still need ECC to exit the country, if you've stayed over 6 months and hold an ACR i-card. As I can tell, it's a requirement for any non-Filipino who extends their stay beyond 6 months.

I thought 'balikbayan' only applied to Filiino citizens working/emmigrated abroad. Pretty much everyone needs an ACR i-card nowadays, even those on tourist visas (when extending beyond initial 2-month entry).

All information on the immigration website is out-of-date (by 5+ years). Nobody is informed of ECC requirement, not on the website, not at the immigration office/s when renewing visas and not when booking flights.

In the words of the airport immigration official yesterday "lots of foreigners have been refused flights this week..."

Last edited:
I have been coming here 10 years now to include this trip on a Balikbayan visa issued upon arrival with proof of marriage. They issue me a 365 day visa and in I go. Never had a problem leaving. Lived here for 3 years on just the Balikbayan stamp. Have drivers license, TIN card and all.

I have been coming here 10 years now to include this trip on a Balikbayan visa issued upon arrival with proof of marriage. They issue me a 365 day visa and in I go. Never had a problem leaving. Lived here for 3 years on just the Balikbayan stamp. Have drivers license, TIN card and all.

The rules on EMIGRATION CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE (ECC) have changed this week. No warning was given and the changes are NOT publicized on the immigration website.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, ECC is only processed by the Main Immigration Office in Manila
. It is NOW only valid three (3) days prior to departure.

Again... no warning was given of this.

Hope the next trip goes as smoothly dixonk- may pay to ask a couple of questions all the same.

Can one of you guys give me some info on the one year spousal visa? Normally I just get the standard 21 day tourist visa when I visit the Philippines, but this trip will be around two months long, with several shorter visits over the next year.
My questions would be:
1. Is it just a stamp or sticker put in your passport at the airport?
2. Do I need to file for any sort of adjustment of status or file any other paperwork after we get inside the country?
3. Is it a multi-entry visa that is good for year?

It sounds like they just change the rules whenever they feel like, so I will take that into consideration.

Thank you all!

Can one of you guys give me some info on the one year spousal visa? Normally I just get the standard 21 day tourist visa when I visit the Philippines, but this trip will be around two months long, with several shorter visits over the next year.
My questions would be:
1. Is it just a stamp or sticker put in your passport at the airport?
2. Do I need to file for any sort of adjustment of status or file any other paperwork after we get inside the country?
3. Is it a multi-entry visa that is good for year?

It sounds like they just change the rules whenever they feel like, so I will take that into consideration.

Thank you all!

It's a stamp in your passport. Same stamp you get with 21 day visa other than it has the date 1 year out. It's not multi entry but you can get a new stamp each time. I have attached a pic of the stamp in my passport. And no you don't need to file anything. ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368013547.545425.jpg

Sorry the previous picture was from last visit. Here is latest where it says bb1yr.ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368013666.324144.jpg

dixonk... I'd still check the rules re:ECC if I were you. They have changed. The ones I'm reporting just came into play on Monday (6th May). I've never had a problem before. Once asked for ECC, once not. The time they did ask (last year) I just got it at the airport for 700php... no sweat.

I just got back from a very, very long and sweaty day at Intramuros....

There was a Japanese guy arrested last week for 'fake' visas. The problem was a mall-based tourist agency that was supposed to get the visa for him. They faked it instead. Japanese guy got "charged with immigration law violation at the legal division and committed to the BI detention center". Ouch...

Japanese national arrested for fake visa extension stamps on passport | Inquirer Global Nation

I'd speculate that the timing of these unannounced and sweeping changes to immigration policy might originate from that incident (?). Ill-considered knee-jerk anyone?

Back
Top Bottom