Divemaster / Divecon SSI where in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reitoei

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Next november I'm going to be in Philippines and I would like to do the divecon SSI course/internship. But I have a lot of doubtes :

1. Can anyone recommend me any dive center where I could do it (if it is someone who has done it, better than better).

2. What part of the country would be better in spite of the weather ?

3. As a solo woman, is it safe to travel alone ? or better I find a dive buddy for all the whole trip ...

4. I'm going as a backpacker, but still have doubts if I should take backpack or suitcase (I've never carried the dive-equipment with a backpack and still almost can carry a 12L alu lol so ...) I need recommandations also for those who have traveled for a long time different countries with dive equipment.

(Please if some of this questions is not for this forum, just let me know too, just newbie)

Thanks in advance !! (and if there is someone in Phil see ya soon under water :)

1. Can anyone recommend me any dive center where I could do it

Have a look at Savedra, in Cebu, if you're interested in PADI DM (generally more popular around the P.I. and Asia). Lee Butler does very good courses and would be a good mentor at DM level.

2. What part of the country would be better in spite of the weather ?

Should be fine in most parts at that time of year (dry season) - although last year the southern provinces/islands did receive a series of freak typhoons (not usual at all).

3. As a solo woman, is it safe to travel alone ? or better I find a dive buddy for all the whole trip ...

It's safe to travel alone, just use common-sense.

4. I'm going as a backpacker, but still have doubts if I should take backpack or suitcase (I've never carried the dive-equipment with a backpack and still almost can carry a 12L alu lol so ...)

For backpacker/econo-travel, if using jeepneys, trikes etc, then a backpack is a far more practical way to travel.

I need recommandations also for those who have traveled for a long time different countries with dive equipment.

Lightweight kit is a real bonus for the travelling diver/dive pro. For single-tank diving, I use a minimalist BP&W (backplate/wing) style BCD; an Oxycheq 18lb wing with aluminium backplate and bare (hogarthian) harness. If you preferred a jacket-style BCD, then something like the Aqualung Zuma or Zeagle Scout might serve better.

You won't need more than a 3mm wetsuit. I save weight and space by using 4th Element 'Thermocline' gear - it's very light to carry, dries quickly and is machine washable.... thermal protection is comparable to 2.5mm neoprene. Sharkskin also do some nice lightweight thermal protection items...

For a travel regulator, I use Scubapro MK25T/S600T. It's titanium and saves some weight... with exceptional performance and easy to get service/spares/repair globally. An alternative could be something like the Apeks Flight Ladies.

My fins are ForceFin Pros. Very small to pack, with exceptional propulsion and good in-water control. Doing a lot of diving, they make a real difference reducing fatigue in my legs and nobody is going to out-pace me with them. They will last you forever...

Add your dive computer, a small, good quality LED torch and a Eezycut safety blade and a small 3ft oral-inflate DSMB and 50m finger-spool and you're all set.

I can just about fit all of my lightweight gear in my 35L daypack for travel - along with a change of clothes (1x shorts/3x t-shirts) and a toothbrush. Good for travelling with carry-on baggage only.

General travel tips:

- Scan all important documents and email to yourself. If lost, you can access and print copies from anywhere.

- Cash is king. It's hard to cash travel cheques in the Philippines, so look at getting a Travelex card that you load with credit. I have one for travel that I can top-up via online banking. It means I don't need to carry critical credit/debit cards with me...and any theft/fraud can only take 'so much' (never load too much at one time).

- A few words of local language go a long way. There are two dialects in the Philippines: Tagalog (north) and Cebuano (Cebu area/south). Plenty of resources online to help you learn a little in advance (I've found Tagalog quite easy to learn - especially compared with Thai etc).

- Learn the appropriate local price for things you need in advance. Over-charging 'scams' are common the Philippines. Most people assume that all foreigners are 'rich' - failing to appreciate the severe budget that backpackers are limited too. You'll probably still end-up paying too much (compared to 'locals prices') for many things, but should be able to recognize (and negotiate down) when you're being charged 100 to 500 percent in excess...

More Philippines travel info on my website: 'Visiting the Philippines: Travel Advice for Visitors to the Philippines'

wow :O Thank you very much for ALL given information !!

Never dived with hogarthian setup or wings (Im totally newbie) so I'm not sure if I could do the divemaster/divecon with it. About the backpack 45L and 6 months away with only one short and three t-shirts ... Ill think about it lol :wink:
Anyway Im going to check all the info :) Thanks a lot :D
btw, I'm watching a lots of videos about GUE, UTD and Im really impressed how these people dive. I see these methods are linked with Tech Dive/Caves, etc despite the fact that atm I dont have any interest in caves/deep or technical diving (it scares me) I really have a lot of interest or at least would like to learn about trim/bouyance/dive. Is there any place in Phil where I can learn that ?
(I have the sensation that it is not taught in divecon/divemaster PADI/SSI - or am I wrong?)

Thanks again in advance !

Monica

Hi Monica,

Yes, there's a bunch of places/instructors where you can gain exposure/training to GUE/UTD/DIR/Tec approaches to diving. There's an active GUE community here, several UTD schools... Whilst those agencies have very specific philosophies, there are also numerous 'technical diving' instructors who teach to similar standards and with similar philosophies (at tech-level, it's all about the instructor - not the agency IMHO).

For GUE, you could contact Miko Sulueta (Dive Thru) here in Manila.

Here is the UTD Philippines group: UTD Philippines

In most cases, getting recreational dive training for a technical diving level instructor offers significant benefits. Instructors at that level will be capable of including higher-level skills training into any given course.

The methods you see certainly did originate with cave/technical diving, but have slowly gained appreciation as 'best practice' approaches that are applicable to all manners of diving. If nothing else, they have raised a positive awareness amongst the diving community about the potential for very high levels of core diving skills (and the comfort and safety which comes with that). You most certainly do not have to aspire to cave/technical training to derive benefit from taking such training.

Something like the GUE Fundamentals course is a very good 'primer' for anyone that wants to be a top-notch dive pro. Other agencies and/or individual instructors offer something similar. For instance, I have a 'Pre-Tech Clinic' that focuses on precision buoyancy, situational awareness, team diving skills, refined dive planning and gas management. It's called 'pre-tech' because it brings divers to an acceptable foundational level of skill to begin technical dive training... not because it's necessarily tech-specific in scope..

Hi there,

Definitely can do the SSI way for your level of certifications. There is no difference in the the agencies that are out there and SSI is continually growing giving working opportunities world wide.
So having said this let me answer your questions. :)
1.) Yip definitely, there are quite a few that are capable of offering you this course.
I do not want to be to specific but will show you through the SSI webiste how to obtain this information easily.
1.) open up your browser to SSI :: SSI Scuba Schools International :: take your dive @ diveSSI.com
2.) Locate the "Dealer Search" tab on the right hand side next to the pictures and underneath the "Scuba Rangers, Deep Blue and Training and Events Tab.
3.)from here you are able to locate an SSI Center that will be able to help you out. just scroll down the page and this will give you the contact information for the SSI centers in the area.

2.)the whole of the Philippines is good at this time of the year. Just about to come out of the rainy season at this point and into the dry so sun all the way.
3.) Safe to travel alone as long as you don;t go off the known ways. If you fancy heading out then meet someone here and go with them.
4.) Many options for the dive gear and baggage to carry it around. This is based on personal preference and the best way to know will be to try it. I wouls suggest coming to the Philippines first, trying out some gear when you are here and getting the on hand opinions mixed with your personal experiences as well. I would not recommend running out and spending a lot of money for something that might later on prove to be inadequate or to much for the diving that you are wanting to do.

If all else fails then feel free to contact SSI HQ in the Philippines on admin.philippines@divessi.com and they will gladly assist you further with making the right choices.

Best of luck. :)

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for your answers. Ive done what you mentioned about looking for a SSI center in the web page, but I wanted to know if someone could recommend me a specific dive center :) My idea was to go there and check it in real time but the problem is that the dive centers are a little bit far away from each other and I wanted to save some time and money of course. Anyways I'll send emails to them.

Thank you very much for the assistance :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom