Trip review: Balicasag Island, Panglao Bohol Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

right_on

Registered
Reaction score
So we started our trip from LAX to MNL, stayed for a few days in Manila. We flew to Bohol from Manila on May 13 - 16 2013. My wife and I stayed in Amorita resort in Alona beach. It's worth every penny of it. The service, food, private transfer from airport to the resort, the accommodation was better than I expected. Everything was top notch. The villas are in very very good condition and was always kept clean. Staff was very good, attentive, friendly and courteous.
Amorita wasn't as far as everyone was saying, it's a few steps away. I mean in 10 minute walk you're on the other end of the Alona strip. The steps going up to Amorita isn't bad either. I guess maybe because we're young and active couple (30's). My wife and I dive, so it was a good trip to have.

I did visit a few dive ops and everything was good as far as I can tell. But there's one that stood out and I highly recommend them to anyone that will visit Alona beach in the future. Sierra Madre divers is in the middle of the Alona strip. I just accidentally found them as I was eating in front of their store. I went in to look for souvenir dive shirts and I ran into one of the DM's there. I started talking to Regie and Lester the DM of Sierra Madre divers. They gave me an excellent rate, lowest I have ever found in the Alona strip. I checked out their rental gears just for curiosity. It looked well maintained and good condition. They are using aqualung jacket type BC and looks new too. But my wife and I always bring our BC, Regs and mask. They lend us gears we needed without extra charges (fins, shorty etc). Diving with them was excellent experience, Lester was our private DM/guide - He was there with us the whole time. Both days we went to Balicasag and on the second day the under current was strong. So it was our first "drift wall" dive and it was pretty cool. The entire time Lester was there making sure everything was good. The dive boat was excellent too! fast and pretty stable. There was all kinds of corals and fishes to be found in Balicasag. The scene was excellent! Best experience ever! Water temp was 86F deg and viz was 80ft at least, our depth was 70-80 ft and it was clear as an aquarium. My wife and I are planning to go back already. 10/10 in everything!
pictures are linked below.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1115...ms/5883100411150304129?authkey=CNG9htix7tmEAg

sounds good. nice to hear a report first hand. I'm thinking of either Sierra MAdre or Fun Divers. Those are the names that repeatedly pop up...

Thanks for the review. I stay and dive with Sierra Madre whenever I am in Bohol. They're usually not as busy as their next door competitors so I usually dive with just two or three other people. I am glad you enjoyed their services.

I was there in August for five days, and I dove with the Philippine Fun Divers. They were a good dive op.

Glad you enjoyed your stay in the Philipppines! I concur on both. Amorita is a pretty nice resort - loved the place when I stayed there. Sierra Madre is a nice dive op as well. Crew was very friendly and their boat was pretty neat!

Wow, sounds like Alona beach has developed a bit in the last few years! I went back in 2010 and there was only a handful of dive shops, and limited range of accommodation. I've not even heard of some of the centres mentioned in this thread (although a few nights on the Tanduay could quite possibly be an alternative explanation for that!). And forget a 10 min walk down the beach strip, it was 5 at best. Oh well, thats life for you - cant expect places to stay small for long, or we'd all miss out on too much awesome diving!

For what it's worth, we dived and stayed at Genesis divers, and they were fantastic. Friendly knowledgeable and professional.

Back
Top Bottom