Area with a beach as nice as Malapascua ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tippytoes12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear fellow scuba boarders
Am heading back to the Philippines for 3 weeks in January. Last time I did Maolboal and Malapascua , which were awesome. I really thought that the beach in Malapascua was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. This time I am thinking Alona Beach and or Dumaguete and or Siquijor , but could happily spend the whole time under a palm tree in Malapascua with some diving thrown in ...

How do Siquijor and Alona beaches compare with Malapascua ?

My husband and I are spending December in Indonesia and I am taking another month unpaid and going to the Philippines. So I will be there by myself.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Best fishes xxx

I've been to both Alona and Siquijor. The beach at Alona is nice, there is also plenty to chose from in the way of accommodations and restaurants. The diving is really good also, with short boat rides locally and Balicasag isn't a far ride. Siquijor has some nice beaches but more washed up coral on the sand. It's a bit sleepy there but a beautiful island, I didn't dive on Siquijor, so can't tell you about the diving.

Alona Beach was very nice 10 yrs ago. It has been developed beyond recognition.
Balicasag is much better especially before the arrival and after the departure of the daily tourist boats.
Cabilau is another option near by.
Unless the beach scene is the absolute necessity otherwise the view from Lemlunay Resort(South Point Divers) in General Santos is hard to beat. Diving is also very good there.
Camiguin and Camotes are also recommended. They are definitely off the beaten track and there are dive operators on both islands(Johnny and Ocean Deep).

Dauin (south of Dumaguete) has a great beach which goes on the miles but its volcanic black sand so psychologically it doesn't work like the white sands of Malapascua even though its still just sand. High tide in Alona seems to mean there is no beach as there is so much development up to the water's edge.

Haven't been but Camiguin is often recommended.

I've been to both Alona and Siquijor. The beach at Alona is nice, there is also plenty to chose from in the way of accommodations and restaurants. The diving is really good also, with short boat rides locally and Balicasag isn't a far ride. Siquijor has some nice beaches but more washed up coral on the sand. It's a bit sleepy there but a beautiful island, I didn't dive on Siquijor, so can't tell you about the diving.
Hi Dirtfarmer

Great to hear from you again and thanks for the info.
We are off to Raja Ampat at Christmas ....did you ever go to the Gilis ???? We are going there before the LOB and to Lembongan afterwards.

Best fishes xxx

---------- Post added June 1st, 2013 at 07:14 PM ----------

Thanks so much to all....Sipalay sounds great , otherwise will go to Alona or Malapascua.

Hi Dirtfarmer

Great to hear from you again and thanks for the info.
We are off to Raja Ampat at Christmas ....did you ever go to the Gilis ???? We are going there before the LOB and to Lembongan afterwards.

Best fishes xxx

---------- Post added June 1st, 2013 at 07:14 PM ----------

Thanks so much to all....Sipalay sounds great , otherwise will go to Alona or Malapascua.

Tippytoes, Yes The wife and I went to Bali and the Gilis. I dived for 8 days in Tulamben and loved it then we spent a few weeks on the Gilis. We're probably going back next year in January too. I enjoyed some diving around the Gilis, the reefs there must have been really nice before it was all bombed to hell, but it was nice to walk next door jump on the boat and do a dive. I'm also am doing a Lembeh/Komodo trip this fall. I had to bite the bullet and do Komodo after your high recommendations.

Sipalay is a nice area, we've been twice. Great beach for swimming as it stays deep at low tide, check out Takatuka, amazing resort and the food is great too. We've stayed up to 2 weeks and not tired of the menu there. The diving in the Sipalay area is pretty good, and the sunsets can be amazing.

Thanks , it looks really nice ...it is so hard to choose.

Great that you liked the Gilis , you will love Komodo ...we went on Mermaid 2 and are going to Raja Ampat on Black Manta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom