New places to dive . . . again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markb

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

Just booked my flight to Manila and am looking for some top diving in PI.
I've done 2 previous trips which were -

1. Coron, wrecks - great fun diving all of them. Not Truuk so they say but not expensive + had a good time in Coron Town (Seadive was great value). Then on to Apo Island. 3/4 dives a day/night A1, Cogun and Coconut the picks. V quiet at night though but with mates that time so ok. (Solo trip this time). On to Alona Beach, stayed at Peter's. Reefs ok but no trips to Balicasag. Nightlife not too busy but had a good time.
My Ratings
Diving: Coron 8/10 Apo 8/10 Alona 6/10
Other: Coron 8/10 Apo 4/10 Alona 7/10

2. Malapascua - dived with Evolution who were just setting up so only me diving most days - can recommend them I would dive with them again if I returned to do tech diving. No fish there on the local dives - had been warned about this on boat over by a young DM working on the island. Dona Marilyn/ Gato Island very good though + did a trip out an island that was 2 wall dives (can't remember the name) very nice, lots of life on healthy reef walls.
Then down to Moalboal. Quiet place but nice enough for a few days. First dive at Pescator Island with the sardines - fantastic! Other dives ok, vis not great but saw a few turtles, frogfish etc.
My Ratings
Diving: Malapascua 7/10 Moalboal 6/10 (sardines 10/10 - but don't think they are there now).
Other: Mal 4/10 Moal 6/10

So I've read the guides over and over and looked at this same question been asked over and over on here (bearing in mind that I'm looking for some nightlife - but not party central) and I'm thinking . . . Biri Island + Sipalay. Surigao is being promoted by a poster on here as well but the guides seem to rate this as a dusty old town?

What I like most - big schools of fish + wrecks. Small stuff ok but not top of the list.

If anyone can give me some advice I would love to hear it! In particular I would like to know how Biri Island rates (Samar not really covered in many guides) and if the waters off Sipilay really are full of schools of tuna etc.
I did think about Dumaguete as it seems a great city to visit but the best diving in that area is Apo island and I didn't want to go to places I've already seen.

Thought about Sogod but wrong time of year for the Whale Sharks + too quiet I think.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Big school of fish + wrecks + nightlife? All in one place!!

1. Puerto Galera can definitely satisfy the last requirement. Good wreck? NO. Big school of fish? NO but diving is good and Verde Island is even better(day trip).
2. Subic Bay has several wrecks. I had seen big school of jack at Sien Maru(off limited now) yrs ago. Not sure if the nightlife there(+PG) suit your taste.

2. Subic Bay has several wrecks. I had seen big school of jack at Sien Maru(off limited now) yrs ago. Not sure if the nightlife there(+PG) suit your taste.

I have a similar question, so instead of posting a new thread -

How many days diving is Subic good for ? I've been to PG a couple of times already and want to stay fairly close to Manila. Would it be reasonable to hit 5-6 different sites over 5 days (10 dives total) or is it the same 2-3 sites over and over again ?

My experience in PG was good, but dove several the sites more than once....

I have a similar question, so instead of posting a new thread -

How many days diving is Subic good for ? I've been to PG a couple of times already and want to stay fairly close to Manila. Would it be reasonable to hit 5-6 different sites over 5 days (10 dives total) or is it the same 2-3 sites over and over again ?

My experience in PG was good, but dove several the sites more than once....
Assuming USS New York is not CLOSED(does happen from time to time).
Both New York and LST do require couple of dives because of the size. LST is also relatively deep(30m) so the bottom time is limited, nitrox would definitely help.
El Capitan is also good enought for at least one dive. And there are other wrecks as well eg. Japanese petrol boat and LCU.

I am pretty sure someone will chip in with his suggestion.

I've just seen some fantastic vids on Youtube of a couples dive tour of PI. They rate Verde Island as being the best for fish life. Can anyone compare this to Apo Island?

My trip is looking like Biri Island followed by either Dumaguete/Apo/Sipalay OR PG. About 7 days in each place.

Cheers
Mark

Sipalay and Danjugan Island are pretty good... we run a dive operation in the area at a really nice hotel called punta bulata and we have about 50 divesites within an hour of the resort so repeating dives wont be a problem.

What is the closest place for diving to Mandaluyong City? Also do dive shops sell parts in the PI?

Back
Top Bottom