Are you planning to fly to Coron ? Baggage allowance problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russ_UK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've just booked our flights for next years trip with Cebu Pacific flying from Manila to Coron, but now I find that I can only book a maximum of 20kg baggage allowance and there is not option to add the extra sports allowance either.
Has anyone else had similar baggage allowance problems ?

Hi Russ, I was in the PI earlier this year. I flew with Air Phil Express as well as Cebu Pacific. I managed the excess baggage well enough with a combination of sports allowance and prepurchase of excess baggage. Rules may have changed, but I'm sure Cebu had a sports allowance at that time. But I found the prepurchase option to be very useful and economical as well.

Sometimes rules are different just based on where you buy the ticket from. I was in the PI when I did my Manila - Coron ticketing, as well as my excess baggage add ons.

Also, as a special note, I was booked to fly Air Phil Express from Manila to Coron, but I had to cancel that and fly Cebu, since Air Phil did not allow excess baggage on that route even with payment (or they did not guarantee it would go on the small plane with me, maybe follow later depending when the next plane had enough space...). Cebu worked for me, but they charged me at the airport for being 1 kg excess. I read somewhere that Cebu are sticklers for charging for any excess, however small.

Hope this helps.

I was there in Feb / March this year - & also for the last 6 years. I have never had this problem on any previous flights - I was always able to book a 30kg baggage allowance an could of also added the sports allowance if I wanted.
It is available on some other flights, but not the flights to Coron. I don't know why they have changed their policy, as it is still the same type of aircraft & still the same runway.
I have been trying for several weeks to contact their (lack of) customer support, but my question must be too difficult for their useless staff as they can't even be bothered to reply. I'm asking how can I get extra allowance for my scuba gear.
Next time I will book with Air Phils, as they still let you add extra allowance and also have a sports allowance on the Coron flights. They are a bit dearer, but I won't have to pay the 150 php per kilo (each way) excess baggage fee.
This is more for a warning than anything else - if anyone else is considering flying to Coron - check the baggage allowances before you book.

It's probably a small turboprop plane. You can check with other flights or other companies in the same route. I had 25 kgs before pre-paid with no problems (Zest Air).

It's too late for me now as I have already booked the flights with them. On all previous years I was able to use the online Manage Booking facility and then I could add the extra baggage. I wrongly assumed I could do the same again with them.

Any airline using the ATR72s are going to have 15kg/20kg max allowance. Cebu Pacific and PAL Express for sure.

Small airfields using small aircraft restrict you somewhat. The only way around is to fly to Puerto Princessa rather than Coron and overland from there (its a bigger airport and they use bigger a/c).

Cebu pacific often dont make it clear when booking - i got caught out flying to Kalibo - MOST flights are A320 but the one id booked that day was an ATR instead. I had to change my flight at near full cost to one an hour later.

....The only way around is to fly to Puerto Princessa rather than Coron and overland from there (its a bigger airport and they use bigger a/c).
Overland as far as El Nido and then ferry is the only option.

Hm Is carrying less luggage an option?
Don't use the special diving suitcases. They are heavy. I use a simple but large Eastpack, or there are now special diving cases weighing less than the old ones and they fold small to, which is handy on liveaboards.
Weights and bottles you can get anywhere.
Bring less clothes and especially shoes.
Put your camera and regulator in a small carry-on backpack (I use a 4 kg camera and heavy a Proton Metal reg.)
So what not to bring: More clothes than absolutely necessary
I'm not taking more than 18 kg and now I changed the heavy Mares BCD for a wing it will be even less.

Lucky for you. My diving gear bare weighs in at 20kg. My camera equipment is 10kg. For some its not possible.
I use a canvas holdall weighing in at 400g to carry the stuff.
Simple answer is either waste a few days and risk your life on a Fillipino ferry to get there or fly to Puerto Princessa and go overland to Coron.

You may be better off buying an extra ticket just for your extra baggage weight. It has been a quite a few years since I dived Coron but I remember my guide book cautioning about air travel if you are traveling with a group of divers or if there are a lot of divers on your flight. I got lucky on my fights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom