Nearly killed by dynamite fishermen whilst on technical dive, Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
It's More Explosive In The Philippines!

Enjoyed a 54m dive on the Sakura Maru this morning. Got joined by some local dynamite fishermen, who proceeded to depth charge the technical dive team on the wreck for the end phase of the dive and entire deco ascent. Luckily, nobody died... they could have!

Surfaced from the dive and there were three local fishing boats clustered around our shot-line/buoy...

I thought my teeth were gonna shake loose.... was like a big man full force punching in the chest and ears..

WoW thats not the way to finish a tech dive ! was there any follow up at all???
glad your all ok!!!

There's no follow up. People have been reporting the dynamite fishing for years - local authorities/harbor patrol seem to do nothing.

Using a diving buoy as an aiming mark (the wreck isn't permanently buoyed...and difficult to find without GPS) is a new level of murderous idiocy though...

Oh My God! I'm so glad you're okay! I suppose the depth of your dive is what saved you. There was a case a couple of years ago where a French diver was killed in VN while on a dive when a fishing boat detonated charges on the reef. The shock wave killed him, but he was much shallower.

So, so, so, so glad you're okay!

Is there anything you can do? Send photos of these guys and their vessels to the authorities, or is this wishful thinking? Alert the news media? Anything we can do? Letter-writing campaign?

I'll raise the issue tomorrow with local dive community. I did message the local media. It's the Philippines - not much happens...and I don't wanna get shot like another instructor did here in Manila yesterday...

Would it help to get the story from the VN incident to support your efforts? I'm willing to lend a hand in whatever way I can, even from a distance. I don't think they'll be able to shoot me all the way over here in Thailand!

I'm looking forward to the follow up thread: Nearly Killed a Dynamite Fisherman after Tech Dive!

Enjoyed a 54m dive on the Sakura Maru this morning. Got joined by some local dynamite fishermen, who proceeded to depth charge the technical dive team on the wreck for the end phase of the dive and entire deco ascent. Luckily, nobody died... they could have!

I bet even DCBC doesn't have this stress-test in his courses!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom