Resort owner shot and killed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mathauck0814

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Vermont, California, Australia and the Upper Keys
http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/...in-philippines-where-he-was-well-known-rescue

The victim in question is (was?) the owner of Anilao Beach Club, a resort where I've booked a longstanding group for Thanksgiving (US). What would you do?

Context: I've organized a trip for 8 people in November at this resort (mixed tech/rec, OC/CC) so it's not the easiest group to accommodate.

Lots of open questions. Does the resort have an owner? Are they operating? Etc? Are there other resorts in the area that can handle our unique mix of needs (from open circuit tech to closed circuit tanks and the assorted other requirements)

What would you do in this case?

The resort is still open and running, although I'm not sure of any more details.

Obviously this kind of event is not something that can be planned for so there is a good chance no one in the resort can help right now, however I'm sure things will become clearer in the near future. I' suggest preserving with the booking for now, although having a back-up plan is obviously a good idea when you are planning for a group.

Having personally being involved with a dive shop where the owner passed away I know how disorganised things can be for a few weeks afterwards, given ABC's past running I'm sure they will get things back in order in the near future.

If you're keen to dive Anilao there are other resorts which can cater for your group, let me know if you want any further details if you don't hear back from ABC, but do give them a chance to respond first if you can. If Anilao as a destination isn't compulsary there are quite a few resorts who could support the group over in Puerto Galera (better non-diving than Anilao but worse diving IMO), there are also plenty of resorts a short domestic flight away from Manila.

Good luck!

Karl

Everything Karl said!

We can look after your needs at Evolution as can others for sure but I am also hopeful that ABC will still have the expertise to cater for your group. Matt's death was a tragedy but it should not mean the end of his long standing business. Be optimistic that it pulls through. If you feel really stuck then contact us. Its still very early since it happened.

...there are quite a few resorts who could support the group over in Puerto Galera (better non-diving than Anilao but worse diving IMO)...

I would say PG is better than Anilao for technical diving, and as good for rec other than muck diving although even then it's quite a good substitute - if it comes to that

I would say PG is better than Anilao for technical diving, and as good for rec other than muck diving although even then it's quite a good substitute - if it comes to that

Ironically I'd say Anilao technical diving is better while regular recreational diving is about on par. PG has a better established tec diving scene and as a result the tec sites are well known, the tec sites in Anilao are not so well known but aren't dived anywhere near as much so you tend to see a lot more.

That said, you should have a great time in either location - for both a trip to Verde is a must - by far the best diving in the area (and the other diving is pretty good too!).

Karl

I'm sure the resort will continue functioning. As others have said, the incident is very recent, so you can expect a considerable delay in replies. I'm sure the senior team there have much to deal with, including their emotional recovery.

Anilao is very popular for technical diving, especially training: as you can reach any desired technical depth straight from the shore.

Woah, I didn't know this. I was at Anilao Beach Club 3 weeks ago diving. Must have been right around the same day this happened.

Back
Top Bottom