First trip to Philipines -liveaboard and land based advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
Looking at our first visit in march/april 2014. Considering a liveaboard for 6 nights followed by some land based diving. We much prefer reefs and good viz to to muck. WeE would like the landbased resort area to have a bit of life at night, (i.e a few restaurants and a couple of bars ) but don't want overcoweded touristy areas.

The Liveaboard would cover Tubbataha area, so maybe somewhere a bit different for the land based side of things?.
OR
we could forget the liveaboard altogether and just do land based if there is an area that is particualry impressive. We have a liveaboard trip to Komodo booked for later in the year, so its not imperative that we do liveaboard on this trip.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks

Last edited:
1+ Philippine Siren - Don't give Tubbataha a pass! It is a World heritage site, not to be missed!

Personally wasn't too impressed with Tubbataha, but lots of options for landbased. Throwing out muck as options, my two top choices would be Malapascua then probably Sogod Bay or Bohol. All can be accessed by flying Puerto Princesa to Cebu, then car/boat to Malapascua or ferry to Leyte or Bohol.

Hi
Looking at our first visit in march/april 2014. Considering a liveaboard for 6 nights followed by some land based diving. We much prefer reefs and good viz to to muck. WeE would like the landbased resort area to have a bit of life at night, (i.e a few restaurants and a couple of bars ) but don't want overcoweded touristy areas.
The Liveaboard would cover Tubbataha area, so maybe somewhere a bit different for the land based side of things?.
OR
we could forget the liveaboard altogether and just do land based if there is an area that is particualry impressive. We have a liveaboard trip to Komodo booked for later in the year, so its not imperative that we do liveaboard on this trip.
1. Landbased resort area to have a bit of life at night!! There are several: Alona Beach, Davao City, Dumaguete(stay in the city but not at Dauin), Puerto Galera and Subic Bay. Malapascua and Southern Leyte are great for diving but extremely quiet at night.
2. You can't go wrong with Tubattaha but Mar is too early. End of Apr to Mid May.
3. Dive safari around Visayas if option 2 doesn't materialize.

Reactions: Heg
Ok , the Siren is out as they only have one space ( I could leave Hubby at home...:cool2:)so land based it wil have to be. Don't want to move around a lot. So Bohol maybe? or Puerto Galera? Does Malapascua have good reefs?

Ok , the Siren is out as they only have one space ( I could leave Hubby at home...:cool2:)so land based it wil have to be. Don't want to move around a lot. So Bohol maybe? or Puerto Galera? Does Malapascua have good reefs?
Try the Atlantis Azores live aboard which is associated with Atlantis Resorts in PG and Dumaguete.

1. How about smaller boat out from Puerto Princesa?
Philippinen Tubbataha M/B Dschubba liveaboards. Tauchen Puerto Princesa El Nido
Mark has been doing Tubattaha trip for yrs and yrs.
2. Around Visayas(DIY): eg. Alona Beach, Dumaguete, Apo Island
3. Dive safari: Sea Explorers run trip regularly.
4. Malapascua + Southern Leyte(travelling is NOT that straight forward but you will be rewarded with quality dive).
Easter(2014) is from 18th Apr so you might need to book ahead.

Reactions: Heg

Back
Top Bottom