Other diving near Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm working on a trip to the Philippines and want to go to malapascua for the threshers. I'm concerned that the other diving may be a bit of a let down. I'd like to have some good macro opportunities, so I've thought about going to Anilao. But you have to fly to get there, right? I'm short on time and really don't want to waste a day or two off gassing so I can fly. So is there a really good macro destination near Malapscua that doesn't require flying? Is the macro at Malapascua good enough to not get bored (blue rings, mimics, lots of nudis, mandarins, shrimp). Or can you get to anilao from Malapascua fairly easy without flying?

Hi there

When I was in Malapascua the macro lovers seemed very happy indeed....before that I went to Maolboal which for me was heaven with lovely coral , huge friendly turtles and lots of lovely little things. The transfer from Maolboal involved a beautiful drive up the west coast of Cebu , it was easy and quick.

Best fishes x

It will take many hrs to connect Anilao and Malapascua. And you are looking at US$300.00(private transfer) + flight for the bother. Forget it.
Malapascua is pretty isolated from anywhere!! If you use private transfer it will take about 3-4 hrs to Cebu. From there you have the choice of Mactan Island(by the Cebu airport), Moalboal(2hrs by raod), Alona Beach(2-3 hrs by ferry and car), Dauin in Dumaguete(4-5 hrs by ferry and car).
Dauin is pretty well known for macro but Moalboal has sardines(at the moment).

@Matt, how long are you planning to dive in the Philippines? Earlier this year, we did 6 days at Malapascua and 5 days at Anilao. The macro at Malapascua is actually very good! I saw the very rare hairy octopus, and my friend saw a blue ring at Monad shoal! If you are only planning one week, then I am sure you will be happy with Malapascua. If you have 2 weeks, 1 week at Malapascua is plenty, and you should take the time to try another place. Anilao has the best macro in the world IMHO, but Malapascua and Dumaguete are not too far behind!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking I'll be there about 10 days. 5 at Malapascua, then head up the road to Moalboal and see the whale sharks.

@Matt, sounds like a plan. After 5 days of intense diving, it's maybe good to take a day off, so may as well try a new place. Or you could just wing it and decide when you are in Malapascua how long you will stay (shouldn't be a problem if your group is small). I can't comment on Moalboal because haven't been there yet, but it is relatively close to Cebu-Mactan airport.

Malapascua is great, not only for threshers, but macro and all-round diving. Gato island is great for corals, nudis, etc, house reef was fantastic for macro night dive and the mandarin fish dusk dive is really nice too. I also highly recommend Matt and Dave at Evolution, they run a top-notch outfit!

I'm thinking I'll be there about 10 days. 5 at Malapascua, then head up the road to Moalboal and see the whale sharks.
It is a long trip from Malapascua to Moalboal(6-7hrs), so start early.
The whalesharks are in Oslob which is 2-3hrs away by car from Moalboal. Some local dive operators do organize daily diving/snorkel trip to Oslob if there is demand. To save you back tracking to Moalboal you can stay behind at Oslob and then proceed to Cebu City afterwards. Alternatively, go to Oslob first and then onward to Moalboal. Public buses are frequent and plentiful.

Depending on your definition of 'good' macro, Malapascua has it IMO. Monad Shoal is crawling with overlooked critters however I would imagine that most operators follow a set dive pattern to increase thresher sightings. Gato Island has plenty of nudis and there are seahorses/frogfish at the lighthouse area. Unless you have your heart set on something really weird, Malapascua has a great range.

Any other places to find whale sharks besides Oslob? I'd love to just stay in Malapascua and dive a little bit to see whale sharks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom