Typhoon Haiyan - Coron - Philippines Siren

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmason

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just thought I'd see If anyone else was booked on the trip. I'm also a little worried now after the typhoon just ripped through and devastated Layte.

The only news from Coron I've heard was from Discovery Divers. Their boats survived the storm, but there was structural damage to their premises. Further across Coron, there was severe damage and a number (growing daily as the picture becomes clearer) of fatalities.

The airport was badly damaged and remains "closed until further notice".

http://anc.yahoo.com/video/5-dead-coron-palawan-due-032215291.html

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/11/10/13/6-dead-coron-tourists-stranded

MANILA -- Six people died in Coron, Palawan, while around 400 tourists were stranded after the devastation brought by super typhoon "Yolanda."Three of the fatalities, who were identified as Nicanor Roxas, Erwin Roque, and Carlos Catamora, were found in Barangay 1, while another body, identified as Hover Castillon, was found in Barangay 5.
Carlito Arcamo, a crew member of the fishing vessel Bonanza, was found dead in Barangay Tagum, while Crisencio Saligbon was found dead in Barangay Guadalupe.
Meanwhile, four people who were initially reported missing have already been found, although authorities are still looking for a certain Cristine Magon.
The cost of damage in properties, infrastructure and businesses in Coron is estimated at between P5 billion and P10 billion.
Around 400 tourists stranded
According to Chippy Alarcon, Coron Tourism officer, around 300 to 400 tourists were stranded in the area and some of them have started helping in repacking relief goods.
A C-130 plane from the Philippine Air Force is expected to arrive to take the tourists back to Manila.
The plane is currently in Tacloban City, and it may take around two to three days before it arrives in Coron.
The airport at Busuanga is still closed and only military and humanitarian planes are allowed to use the airport.
Aside from resorts, the cross on top of Mt. Tapyas in Brgy. Poblacion, a popular tourist destination, was also damaged by the typhoon.
Coron has been put under a state of calamity due to the damage it sustained from "Yolanda."

Some photos emerging from Coron:

ad_120040984.jpg

2013-11-09T055525Z_1494324303_GM1E9B912C801_RTRMADP_3_PHILIPPINES-TYPHOON.JPG

philippines-typhoon.jpg

Thanks for the update. The destruction is horrific out there. I hope the typhoon blows its self out before it hits land again.

Allison... have you tried contacting them directly? (silly question, but have to ask..)

I have emailed them directly and will post their reply once I get it. I saw posts on facebook stating that all siren fleet and crew were ok.

Hi All

Apologies for the delay in response. All of our crews and their families are fine and both Philippines yachts are undamaged after Typhoon Yolande hit last week. Our Coron Batangas trip was due to leave yesterday, but due to the need to shelter from the storm and the Busuanga airport being closed our operations team in Thailand and the Philippines have been busy making some new arrangements for the guests who have arrived and are waiting in Manila. We hope to have the guests aboard in the next few days.
Future trips may be affected due to the airport closure and lack of supplies in Coron. dmason - Our team will be emailing you directly with any info we have and if there are changes to your trip in December.

We are also in the process of checking if our 2nd Philippines yacht is able to get clearance to travel to Leyte to assist in the relief efforts - which are being hampered by road blockages. As yet we do not know the extent of the devastation in Sogod Bay, Leyte and the effect that may have on our scheduled trips of 2014.

We'd like to ask all of our guests to show their support for the Philippines and if you are able to bring items of clothing with you when you travel to the Philippines to give to the relief that would be wonderful. Please also consider donating to the Red Cross relief.

We will post more updates and information as we have them,
Best wishes from all at the Siren Fleet

Latest update on Coron, I have just seen a report on local news (ANC)

Confirmed 10 dead, 25 missing - although many smaller villages and barangay have not been reached yet.

Airport "destroyed"

No power or communications yet

Massive and widespread devastation witnessed by overflying aircraft.

---------- Post added November 12th, 2013 at 01:26 AM ----------

Also this report (link includes video)Mayor describes destruction in Coron, Palawan | ABS-CBN News

PALAWAN - Coron Mayor Lara Reyes on Monday said at least 9 people were killed in Coron, Palawan during the onslaught of super typhoon "Yolanda."
Speaking to radio DZMM, Reyes said the fatalities drowned or were crushed by their own houses. At least one resident was killed in a landslide.
Authorities still have no contact with six island barangays in Coron. In one barangay, all 600 houses were destroyed during the typhoon.
At least 11,000 residents are now staying in evacuation centers, the mayor said. She said at least 90% of houses in Coron were damaged.
Reyes appealed for relief goods to the town, saying that current food supply would only last 6 days.
The mayor estimated the damage to the municipality at P5 billion to P10 billion. She said only 10 remaining pumpboats are operational after the typhoon.
"Fishermen can't fish because we are using the boats," she said.

---------- Post added November 12th, 2013 at 01:57 AM ----------

This is the very latest report on Coron/Palawan (video on link)

'Yolanda' destroys tourist spots in Palawan | ABS-CBN News

Famous tourist spots in Northern Palawan were not spared by the onslaught of super typhoon "Yolanda."
According to the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) of Palawan, the death toll in Northern Palawan from the typhoon has already risen to 10, while 25 people remain missing.
Over 400 tourists are still stranded in Palawan, as Busuanga Airport was also heavily damaged by the super typhoon.--ANC, November 11, 2013
[h=5][/h]

This is so incredibly sad!!! A lot of us have enjoyed diving in the Philippines and have had the pleasure of meeting the wonderful people so I hope that we can all help in some way!! :0(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom