No power in Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Currently there is no power in Bohol. There are plans to have sharing by areas. The only reliable power is from generators. Resorts without them are in the dark or shut down.
Estimates on when power will return are from 30 to 45 days or more. It's mostly unsubstantiated rumors at this point. No one really knows.
Water from wells that require electric pumps are also down.
The typhoon disaster in Leyte and Samar has far reaching effects throughout the Philippines.

Fresh, clean water is one of the most urgently needed relief supplies in any kind of disaster like this.

In August of 1992 I was CDO at NAVMAG Guam when Super Typhoon Omar pounded the island. The storm totally devastated the electrical grid and the island was without fresh water for two weeks and power for 30days. The day the power came back it was on for 6 hours then lost for another two weeks. It takes a while to rebuild a grid but the Marines and Navy are there and they will come up with something. They are pretty inventive when called upon, heck they powered part of Oahu with a nuc submarine after a Typhoon. Have patience, faith and hang in there.

Hang tuff Jim.....Glad you're up & running(some what)...For my information, how did Dumagetti(Pura Vida Resort), Negros & Moalboal(Turtle Bay Resort), Cebu make it thru the storm--if you have any clue....

Here's hoping life around you can/will get back to 'normal' as quickly as possible.............You back to diving locally???---ie keep those pretty pics coming.....Joe

No power here in Boracay either (and limited running water). We've heard estimates ranging from 10 days to 5 months and everything in between.

UPDATE:

On Nov. 14 the power company (BOHECO) had a meeting in Alona Beach with resort owners/managers. They stated there would not be full power for 45 to 60 days. As for rotating power by areas, that is not clear as a of yet.

Some resorts have already shut down as they have no generators. Those with generators are looking at the cost and maintenance of running them 24-7 for such an extended period of time. Many guests would not accept modified periods of power.

In a nutshell:
Several years back the powers to be decided to join a power grid with other islands via an under-ocean cable versus Bohol being power independent. Samar and Leyte are part of that grid. Hindsight being 20-20 that turned out to be a very bad idea.

IMO this is not a good time to visit Bohol.

awww nuts. that was my preferred alternative. all i really need power for is to recharge my batteries, course the resorts are probably used to having it for cooking and laundry needs. i usually get a pretty cheap room with just fan too no ac but then a lot of them don't have nice cross ventilation. thanks for the update.

Nice to finally hear from you, Jim. Guess you got some sort of power generator there? Heard that a huge generator was delivered to Cebu yesterday. Unfortunately, it sounds like a private one. Cebu got hit some by the typhoon and so did my hometown (Bicol). But, power is back now. Hope everyone there is ok.

Glad to hear you are doing well Jim, thanks for the update. I was just starting to put together another trip to Oasis resort in December.
Is there anything we as outsiders can do to help? Take care and keep us updated if you can.

Glad to hear you are doing well Jim, thanks for the update. I was just starting to put together another trip to Oasis resort in December.
Is there anything we as outsiders can do to help? Take care and keep us updated if you can.

Thanks for the offer but there is not much else that can be done. The Philippine Secretary of the Department of Energy is reported to have promised full power back in the Visayas by December 24. Time will tell.

The Bohol power company (BOHECO) was seen disconnecting jumpers between the power lines and the large resorts in Alona Beach. This is most likely so that any power sharing can include Alona Beach without the very large hotels as the power drain from them is more than what can be supplied.

Unfortunately the hydro electric plant on the Loboc River went down a couple of days ago. I don't know how long it will take to get it up and running again. The power from it was much needed.

I am personally surviving with a Honda generator which I was fortunate enough to be able to buy.

Life here at present is like camping, only indoors. I can't complain as I am better off than most and am certainly better off than those in Leyte and Samar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom