Pondering Palawan - My Philippine Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob-bob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey scubaboard,

Long time user but first time poster on your wonderful slice of the internet here. Thanks for checking out what I had to ask.

In a fairly drastic u-turn, I'm packing in the day job and heading out to the Philippines late February 2014 to get that divemaster qualification I've always talked about.

I've done some research - mostly reading this here forum a long with some well placed Google searches - and have discovered answers to a lot of my own questions, but I had one or two more that I hope you wouldn't mind imparting some knowledge on.

So.

First off - the typhoon. What a devastating thing to hear about. My heart goes fully out to anyone affected by it, and I hope they're able to stay strong. I think the rest of what I have to say is completely unimportant after that (so not much change there), but, should I re-think going out there at all? I was thinking of either Palawan or Bohol. Is it possible to say whether companies in these areas will be back up and running and taking on DMTs come March next year?

Second thing is about the location. At first I was set on Palawan, but the more I read about it, the more I worry that it's a little too off the beaten track. Don't get me wrong - the diving comes first - but the above sea level stuff is still important, and the idea of meeting many people from all over the world in a busier spot like Bohol, and having more choice of dive centre also has it's appeal. Has anyone been to both and could say how they differ in this regard?

I think that's it for now, although no doubt as soon as I hit post I'll realise I forgot something important.

If you have any other helpful words, it would all be massively appreciated.

Thanks for reading this all, hope all's good.

-Rob

I would never comtemplate a DM course in Palawan except Coron.
Alona Beach, Coron and Malapascua are ALL affected by the typhoon one way or another at the moment.
But I would imagine all the places should be up and running by the time of your arrival.
Alona Beach, Malapascua or Puerto Galera would be my suggestion.

If those places don't work out, have you thought of Puerto Galera - Asia Divers?

Hey all. Thanks so much for getting back to me - really appreciated!

Diver-85: Thanks for putting me in touch with Giligan. I'll send him a message and hope he's willing to part with some knowledge.

Centrals: May I ask why you wouldn't go to Palawan? Is it because it's not as established as Alona, Malapascua or PG and therefore not as great for longer-term courses like the DM? We'll have to do our Rescue Diver and log a few more dives before starting our DM, what would you think of the idea of doing the RD in Palawan, then heading over to Alona, Malapascua or PG for the DM course?

Titatom: Thanks for the heads up. I have seen PG mentioned a few times now so will definitely check out the area as well as Asia Divers.

Centrals: May I ask why you wouldn't go to Palawan? Is it because it's not as established as Alona, Malapascua or PG and therefore not as great for longer-term courses like the DM? We'll have to do our Rescue Diver and log a few more dives before starting our DM, what would you think of the idea of doing the RD in Palawan, then heading over to Alona, Malapascua or PG for the DM course?
1. The diving in Palawan is very very ordinary except in Coron( RD is great).
2. Log enough dive and then proceed for the Rescue and DM courses in the same place(might be cheaper).
3. Popular places mean only one thing ie. customers. You have more chances for the FREE dive.
4. Practice makes "perfect".

Have fun

Back
Top Bottom