Philippines Siren 16 Dec, booked on but how can we help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmason

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Firstly, hi to anyone booked on the trip leaving 16 Dec. My wife and I are looking forward to some great diving and meeting new friends over the xmas period.

Secondly, after all of the devestation across the Philippines I have had mixed feelings about this trip. We booked before the disaster. This isn't our first trip to the Philippines and the typhoon has left us feeling gutted for the people effected there. Many people are saying the best thing you can do to help right now is visit the Philippines. I'm supposing from this that the money from tourism is needed more then ever now. Other than the obvious donation, i want to try and help. At one point the siren operators were requesting clothing. If this is still valid then I was thinking of having a collection, my work have agreed to support and we have spare luggage allowance if we pack light. Is there anything else that we (tourists) can do to help? If there are many of us tourists with spare allowance what should we bring?

Finally, I know that the siren itinerary changed due to damage to the airport by Coron. My agent (Ultimate Diving) has suggested that the original itinerary will be back in place for the trip on the 16 Dec as the airport is operational. I'm hoping we can get some comment from the ops (Worldwide Dive and Sail?).

Additionally, is there any comment regarding the reefs and wrecks, assuming diving has resumed does anyone know whether any damage has occured and how the diving is?

Hi there, and thanks for supporting the Philippines by sticking with your trip - that is exactly what is needed, as you rightly state, so that local folks keep their jobs.

To be honest I don't know the needs of other areas, but in Malapascua the biggest need is still for housing and other building materials. Hard to bring from abroad I know! Probably best to check with the Siren depending on where you will be visiting.

Regarding diving - we were right in the path of the storm and can see clear effects underwater; BUT not that extensive damage. Many of our favorites sites that we have visited so far are unaffected, so my expectation is that you will find the same wherever you are heading.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have been following the rebuilding of Malapascua through social media. We were on the island in Feb this year to see the famous threshers and were so gutted to see the destruction after the storm. I'm amazed though at how fast they have rebuilt over there, a real credit to the people pulling together.

Thanks for your comments on the health of the diving, i'm sure this will be encouraging to the many divers that enjoy the Philippines for this reason, myself included.

Yes i agree it would be very impractical to bring through building materials! I hit on the idea though of bringing through a couple of bags full of children's toys to be distributed as we are going to be there just before Christmas. I'm not sure how 'helpful' this will be but it might help bring a little cheer to some of the children that have been affected. We have collectively around 45kg of spare luggage allowance and i work in an organisation big enough to fill that with suitable donations. I will be emailing worldwide dive and sail tomorrow to see what can be organised.

If this is still valid then I was thinking of having a collection, my work have agreed to support and we have spare luggage allowance if we pack light. Is there anything else that we (tourists) can do to help? If there are many of us tourists with spare allowance what should we bring?

Finally, I know that the siren itinerary changed due to damage to the airport by Coron. My agent (Ultimate Diving) has suggested that the original itinerary will be back in place for the trip on the 16 Dec as the airport is operational. I'm hoping we can get some comment from the ops (Worldwide Dive and Sail?).

Additionally, is there any comment regarding the reefs and wrecks, assuming diving has resumed does anyone know whether any damage has occured and how the diving is?

Hi Dmason

Firstly let us express our collective thanks for your decision to continue with your trip in the Philippines aboard the Philippine Siren. As you rightly put what the Philippines needs now is a continuation of tourism and the majority of tourist areas have either been unaffected or are quickly putting things right to allow for tourist comfort once again.

Regarding the trip, MJ and the team at Ultimate Diving are correct, we will run as scheduled and visit Coron, Apo Reef & Anilao. Your trip departs in Batangas and culminates in Coron from where you take the domestic flight back to Manila. The airport is open once again and fully operational so you should not run into any difficulties. Our main reason for rescheduling the diving on 2 trips was due to a lack of supplies on Busuanga Island and not wishing to be a further drain on the local resources, however we have been assured that supplies will be available and we are able to stock heavily in Batangas before the trip departs ;-).

Reports from local dive operators are that there has been little if no affect to the diving in the region. The wrecks suffered from poor visibility for the days following the typhoon abut that is all. Apo Reef's corals are still stunning but there has been some damage reported at one dive site:- barracuda point, so we hope our yacht is able to give a full report on that over the coming weeks, though we do not believe this will have a great impact on your trip enjoyment. We hope to be able to make an extra run to Coron during our next scheduled trip and provide further updates for all, but this is dependent on time and dive schedule.

Its also so wonderful to read that our guests wish to help and provide further assistance to those affected in the typhoon. From internet reports and updates from those assisting with the relief effort in the area, it is mostly the people in the outer lying regions and small islands that remain affected -having lost homes, there is little or no electricity and basic supplies are limited. it would be difficult to bring food stuffs into the Philippines but you could consider bringing the following items:-
blankets & clothing
dried food goods
school supplies- pens, note books, colouring crayons

Our operations manager is currently at sea on the return journey from Guiuan where we have been assisting the MSF team, we will try to establish who the best people to pass these items along to are and give you that information when you board / assist you in Coron ;-) so please bear with us for a few days as we try to get something organised for you.

Thanks once again for your support and we wish you a superb trip!
Siren Fleet

Many thanks for your detailed response. I think that the information that you have provided will be useful to divers interested in visiting these areas also. I will begin a collection at work based on the items that you have listed and I appreciate your assistance in helping determine how to distribute. I feel much better about the trip knowing that I can help, even if only a little.

Many thanks for your detailed response. I think that the information that you have provided will be useful to divers interested in visiting these areas also. I will begin a collection at work based on the items that you have listed and I appreciate your assistance in helping determine how to distribute. I feel much better about the trip knowing that I can help, even if only a little.
Good Luck & Good Diving!

Hi Dmason

Firstly let us express our collective thanks for your decision to continue with your trip in the Philippines aboard the Philippine Siren. As you rightly put what the Philippines needs now is a continuation of tourism and the majority of tourist areas have either been unaffected or are quickly putting things right to allow for tourist comfort once again.

Regarding the trip, MJ and the team at Ultimate Diving are correct, we will run as scheduled and visit Coron, Apo Reef & Anilao. Your trip departs in Batangas and culminates in Coron from where you take the domestic flight back to Manila. The airport is open once again and fully operational so you should not run into any difficulties. Our main reason for rescheduling the diving on 2 trips was due to a lack of supplies on Busuanga Island and not wishing to be a further drain on the local resources, however we have been assured that supplies will be available and we are able to stock heavily in Batangas before the trip departs ;-).

Reports from local dive operators are that there has been little if no affect to the diving in the region. The wrecks suffered from poor visibility for the days following the typhoon abut that is all. Apo Reef's corals are still stunning but there has been some damage reported at one dive site:- barracuda point, so we hope our yacht is able to give a full report on that over the coming weeks, though we do not believe this will have a great impact on your trip enjoyment. We hope to be able to make an extra run to Coron during our next scheduled trip and provide further updates for all, but this is dependent on time and dive schedule.

Its also so wonderful to read that our guests wish to help and provide further assistance to those affected in the typhoon. From internet reports and updates from those assisting with the relief effort in the area, it is mostly the people in the outer lying regions and small islands that remain affected -having lost homes, there is little or no electricity and basic supplies are limited. it would be difficult to bring food stuffs into the Philippines but you could consider bringing the following items:-
blankets & clothing
dried food goods
school supplies- pens, note books, colouring crayons

Our operations manager is currently at sea on the return journey from Guiuan where we have been assisting the MSF team, we will try to establish who the best people to pass these items along to are and give you that information when you board / assist you in Coron ;-) so please bear with us for a few days as we try to get something organised for you.

Thanks once again for your support and we wish you a superb trip!
Siren Fleet

Well we recently returned from the trip, which was excellent. The diving was very good and we did indeed enjoy the full itinerary including the Coron wrecks. We managed to collect and deliver around 50kg of donations from the UK which Diago (the cruise director) arranged to pass on in Coron as we disembarked. Apo reef had some signs of damage but was in no way a disappointment and was brimming with white tips :). While on the transfer from the port in Coron to Buswanga airport is where we noticed the damage most. Across the entire landscape many of the trees were stripped bare or uprooted and a lot of local buildings were damaged / repaired. While at the airport most of the windows and doors (facing the runway) were still missing among other cosmetic damage. It's clear that the area was widely effected but it was surprising how upbeat the people that we met were and how quickly everything is being rebuilt. Many thanks to the Siren Fleet for a great trip and assisting with donations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom