Visiting Atlantis in Dumaguete April/May 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickeyf413

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
1st time in the Philippines and looking for some recommendations

Must do dive sites?
Must see critters?
Should I dive any of the near by islands?
I know must sites are macro but is there any good sites for CFWA?
Any topside activities not miss?

any other information would be great as well

Thanks in advance

PS will be diving with Alex Mustard part of the trip

Nearby - Well, Apo Island obviously, but Atlantis will surely take you there.

Spend an evening in Dumaguete itself walking along the seawall promenade along with everyone else in the city, and enjoy the instant-setup restaurants. Chairs, folding tables, barbecue, food all arrive on one or two loaded motorcycle taxis and voilà, dinner for 40. An amazing variety of trinkets and services (including massage and haircuts) also on offer.

I'll be watching this thread -- we're going in February.

just been there last week, not exactly stayed in altantis but apo island is awesome. The nearby dive sites are in dauin. If you go there tell them to take you to this site with really strong current ( forgot the name) and at maiinit ( means "hot" in tagalog). Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
I am going the first week of June 2014..... Looking forward to it.
Spending a week at the other Atlantis location as well.

Present to myself for 30 years at my current job.

Think:......'Apo Island---Apo Island--Apo Island'.....plus the mandarinfish dive not far away....

Last edited:
Hi Rickey,
Let me be one of the first to welcome you to Atlantis Dumaguete and say that you will soon find out why you will -
"arrive as a guest...leave as a friend".

I have to agree that Apo Island is a fantastic day trip, with its amazing underwater topography - pristine hard corals, vibrant soft corals, abundance of marine life - and plenty of opportunities for wide angle photography with turtles, schooling fish, and so much more. Macro lovers will still not be disappointed with the colorful nudibranchs that are found here and throughout the Philippines.

Additionally a day trip to Siquijor Island can be arranged for more pristine reef diving, or a ferry boat ride to Oslob for snorkeling with the whale sharks - the locals give a 100% guarantee on the whale sharks :cool2:

For specific dive sites (and info on the 'Mainit' dive site that 'orangehead_101 mentioned in another post - it's labeled site #1), give a click here: Scuba Diving in the Philippines, The Best Dive Resort - Atlantis Dive Resorts & Liveaboards

Must see critters?
  • Octopuses - wunderpus, mimic octopus, blue ring octopus, etc.
  • Seahorses - large and small, along with a variety of pygmy seahorses and pipefish
  • Cuttlefish - flamboyant is awesome
  • Frogfish and scorpionfish in a multitude of colors and sizes
  • Nemo - in every color imaginable :)
  • Banded sea kraits
  • Eels - blue ribbon, moray, spotted, snake
  • Nudibranchs, nudibranchs, and more nudibranchs - hundreds of different ones can be spotted
  • Shrimps and crabs galore to find
  • Turtles
  • Whale Sharks

I have a flyer on tours that can be arranged from the resort that I can send you if you'd like - highlights and prices are included on it.
Here's a sample:
  • Dumaguete City Tour
  • Twin Lakes - kayaking, fishing and overnight stays available
  • Balanan Lake - kayaking, hiking and zip lining
  • Malatapay Market - where the locals from Apo Island trade and barter on Wednesdays

Additionally, at our resorts we have a full-service spa with massages and body treatments, so plan on some R & R time during your stay :wink:

Feel free to email me with any specific questions you may have, and/or for a copy of our tours flyer.

Sharon Connor - Marketing Manager
sharon.connor@atlantishotel.com

actually...I want to go back there...still a lot of dive sites I haven't been to, like Oslob and some other sites...I envy you rickeyf413. I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it...

I was there a few weeks ago. Several of us went to Balanan Lake and really enjoyed the kayaking and the hike to the waterfalls. I'd recommend it if you have the time. And as others have mentioned, you will really like the diving at Apo Island. Have a great time. I'm already planning my next visit.

Greetings from Dumaguete!

Sharon, that's quite a list of must-see critters you got there! The Atlantis Dive Team will try to live up to the hype. :D

Two types of diving in Dumaguete: coastal dives- critter hunting in sandy areas and patch reefs; we go really slow and look for the really cool critters; if you're a photographer the coastal sites are macro heaven
island trips- pretty reefs, big walls, some current; more enjoying the scenery than critter hunting; always a good chance of seeing turtles and sea kraits

Ask away if you need specifics!

-marco

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom