Tubbataha on board Expedition fleet (MY Stella Maris Explorer)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiger-shark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I’m thinking about going to Tubbataha with Expedition fleet on MY Stella Maris Explorer this Easter. Does anyone have experience from going with them? According to their website the cabins are remodeled this year.

I find it a bit strange that many other live aboard's going to Tubbataha during Easter are fully booked since long time ago whereas Stella Maris Explorer has zero bookings coming Easter. Am I missing something? Do they have a bad reputation?

I really would love to hear your thoughts on this fellow SB members!

In short, yes, expedition fleet have a bad reputation (some would say very bad) and that would go a long way to explaining the lack of bookings.

However, as far as I know the company is now under new management and ownership so many of the complaints of the past may no longer be relevant. This will be their first Tubbataha season back in business so it's hard to say how the new fleet operates until a few people have used them.

The Expedition Fleet vessels were more suited to wreck sites than luxury liveaboards, however the Stella Maris was by far the best boat in the fleet and I actually enjoyed the trip I made on this boat a few years back. I'd suggest sticking with the Stella Maris and making sure you avoid the older boats of Expedition Fleet.

The vast majority of problems encountered with Expedition Fleet were mainly down to the management and the poor condition of the ageing boats, the Stella Maris was rarely in the latter category so with the new ownership hopefully taking care of the management issues it would be worth giving them a try? Just make sure you let everyone on here know how it went if you do decide to go with Expedition Fleet :)

Karl

PS - We've used the Vasco (Diving Philippines Apo Reef Tubbataha Coron Liveaboard) boat last year and will be again this year, it's not a luxury liveaboard but certainly has more than you would need for a diving trip and would be worth considering.

I've been Stella Maris 7 years ago and overall it was a nice Tubbataha liveaboard cruise.

Yes, I've had a aircon malfunction after 2 days but the didn't charged nitrox for the rest of the trip in order to be forgiven fot that and it was a minor issue after all.
About the rest of the trip .... yes the boat is a bit old but the room were basic and the food more than acceptable.

Lately I've heard the company was experiencing a bad moment but I don't know about the new management right now.

If you decide to go enjoy the trip.

HI tiger shark

I am from Expedition fleet.
We have just acquired the Stella Maris at the last quarter of 2013, and only started to market Stella last September.
Expedition Fleet did not operate last year and was late to do its marketing.
Tubbataha liveaboards are booked one year in advance ,especially during easter and golden week .

The old management's bad reputation coincides with the crews' great reputation.
I am the new management, with the old crew remaining.
Expedition fleet especially Stella Maris is in top shape right now.
Stella underwent complete renovation, particularly the plumbing system and the engines.
It is ready to accept accommodations.

Feel free to post other questions and Thanks for this opportunity.

Scuba World, Inc. based in Makati owned expedition fleet. I used to divemaster on Island Explorer before it sank in Apo Reef.

My last trip on board was a transition cruise from Mactan to Cabilao. Panglao then back to Mactan to resupply. After that Malapascua, Boracay, Apo reef then Anilao.

Scuba World is no longer a part of this?
Hi CosFragger
Yes , not in any way is Scuba world part of our company.

By the way,
We just started with our first trip to Tubbataha yesterday, tonight the ship will be entering Cuyo.
It is the transition trip from Batangas to Palawan.

I will send some of the pictures from this trip later.

---------- Post added March 19th, 2014 at 11:43 PM ----------

I have booked the trip now. I will write a review when I'm back!

Thanks for choosing us,we wont let you down

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom