Best dives in Coron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at going wreck diving for the first time. Does anyone have any opinion of the best ships and other dive locations to see first?

Like a top 10 list of best diving location in and around Coron?

Most of the wrecks are BIG and some of them are quite deep. They are not eg. Almar Jane(PG).
If you want to take a GOOD look on most of them if not all, it will require considerable of time.
The deck of Irako is nearly 40m so your bottom time is pretty short even on EAN28(PPO2 1.4).
The only problem of diving in Coron is the distance from the wreck if you are staying in Coron Town.

When you ask what is the best wreck, it is a lot like asking what is the best pizza. Everybody has their own favorite. Many like the Akitsushima because there are guns in it. Some like the Irako because it is the deep one. Some like the Kogyo because of all of the construction supplies in the holds. My favorite is the Okikawa. It is the furthest outside the bay and subject to more stronger currents. The current brings in the fish and I find the greatest number and variety of nudibranchs there. It is also 26 meters hard bottom, so you can get a longer dive. A lot of people like barracuda lake as well. It's a freshwater/saltwater dive in a geothermal vent. You can download an ebook of the more popular dive sites here: landingebook.

As its your first wreck dive, it may be more appropriate to ask which wrecks are best for you. You stated in a previous post that you are advanced open water and 120 dives. That really does not say much about how you are in the water. If you can't hover and fin like you are riding a bicycle, then you would want to work that out before thinking about wreck diving (really any diving).

Thanks for the comments.

I am not really interested in penetrating the wrecks, I find that a bit scary. I am fine with swimming around them. I thought about diving barracuda lake but I also read there was nothing to see in the lake, so I am not sure just yet. I do want to see as many fish as I can around the wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom