Places with shallow, calm, easy dive sites in the PI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
It's a shame to be asking this question, but I could really use some advice here.

Two weeks out from our planned dive trip to the PI, and I've completely ruptured the ACL in my left leg after a post-dive fall. After discussion with the doctors, I have decided to go ahead with the trip, but will need to change the orientation towards much easier diving.

Full details of the thought process here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/di...cl-rupture-two-weeks-before-dive-holiday.html

Anyway, I'm wondering if you guys can suggest please any places that have decent diving (my wife would be able to dive properly without me) but also that have a couple of baby-level dive sites that are shallow (15m or so) and calm where I can join her for a dive a day or so.

Things I love:

Macro and muck (so secret bay at Anilao would be a perfect example of what I'm after)
Healthy corals (so the coral stuff around Apo Island at the top of the walls there would be perfect - I enjoyed those as much as the walls themselves)

Things I will skip this time:

Walls, currents, etc

If we were doing Moalboal again, for example that would work as I could do the house reefs and some of the bay with her, and let her do Pescador with others.

Any ideas would be really valued. This is a really important holiday to us.

Maybe a good way of phrasing this question is: "what are the best shallow and calm dive sites in the Philippines?"

Are you sure you can dive with this injury?
Would you be able to climb back to the banca?
Anilao anfd Moalboal certainly fit the bill but I would add PG as well. There are some easy sites and beautiful corals there. The added bonus is the boat only goes our for one dive and then return to base. Diving is a lot more flexible than eg. Anilao.
Good luck to the operation and get well soon.

Boracay. Easy, shallow dives on the west and east sides.

Getting _to_ Apo Island might be a bit of an issue, getting in and out of the little bangkas, but once there, you can walk in to Chapel. There's always one or two other dive sites with very little current and it sounds like you know you can putter around in the shallows there forever. Puerto Galera also has lots of easy, shallow sites -- you do have to be able to climb back into the boat though. Lastly, have not been there, but both Dauin and Sipalay / Sugar Beach offer shore diving and have good reputations.

Thanks so much, all! I REALLY appreciate this.

CENTRALS - I'd not considered PG, as we were originally just going to focus on Anilao down that way, but reading up on the dive sites, that looks excellent. Thank you!!

HANK - we've avoided Boracay so far because of the mediocre diving comparatively. But now you mention it, Boracay might well me something we should consider if the diving is easy there, due to the good topside stuff available, pretty beaches, etc, that might be more salient if I am diving less. Cheers!

FT - I love diving Dauin - and we hope to spend our last week there. A lot of the good stuff there is a bit deeper, but we can play that by ear. The pyramids/car wrecks might be a bit deep, but dives like Mainit would still be heaps of fun. It does make the shallow stuff at Apo accessible. Thank you!

To clarify - I will take my gear off in the water, and should have no problem with a banka ladder, as I have very good range of motion already, can get full weight on that knee, and up and down movements like cycling or up/down stairs or a ladder are ok with this injury. Of more concern would be twisting my knee on the deck itself. If I'm not fit to get up or down the ladder, I have no business being on the boat.

Thank you so much! Any other ideas, anyone?

I know Boracay gets a lot of mediocre reviews. But the good thing about it is that it's been pretty protected from overfishing and other abuse over the last 20 years. I had some great dives living there just off the White Beach. 15 feet of water. Lot of little things to see. And if you need a thrill, there is always Yapak 2. Badass dive on anyone's scale.
But some of the best diving I ever did was me and a buddy going into fishing villages and getting guys to take us out. We'd rent their bankas...one diver per because they were so small. Not for everyone but we found some really nice spots down the Antique coast of Panay.
Whatever you choose, I think you'll be pretty stoked.

Getting on and off the beach(shore dive) can be challenging even for an able person if the sea is rough. Pebble shore + rough sea will definitely make the exit uncomfortable. You really need to plan ahead with the dm on how to exit from the shore dive.
You might need to find out where you can get good medical treatment if the knee need special attention.
BTW, would your travel insurance still cover your knee because of its present state?

Yeah, I need to sign off with my travel insurance that I will be appropriately conservative, and I am still covered. We are working out the specifics and I intend to abide by them. But no rough condition entries or exists for me, even on sand. I'm going to be very conservative about such things. This will absolutely curtail the kinds of diving I am looking to do. I've already spoken with my osteo surgeon, and with DAN, about what is and isn't appropriate for me to consider. Happy to sit out more dives than I take, so long as my wife still gets to dive all she likes.

.... Happy to sit out more dives than I take, so long as my wife still gets to dive all she likes.
Then PG is the place for you.
La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre:
1. Ground floor room and the dive boat is just a stone throw away even on low tide. But you do have to negotiate few steps to get to the beach.
2. Three dive boats(2 x banca and one speed boat). You have to work out the best way to climb back to the boat.
3. I had seen diver with disability diving with them.
4. Same as with every operator the dive boat only goes out for one dive and then return to the shop/resort. So if you have to sit out for the dive, your wife should be back within an hr.
5. Trip to Verde Island is highly recommended but the dive is probably too much for your present state.

Anilao is also fine but do make sure the room is not up on the hill.

Mantra am sitting at airport waiting to head to PG - was going to see if I could make it down to Minoro Occidental and Pandan Island after PG - will let you know if that may be a suitable place you can do Apo from there I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom