need Anilao - budget resorts - deciding in next 24hrs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi.I am landing in Manila right at midnight on jan 1st.... I am debating heading to Dauin or staying in the area and going to Anilao. Anyone have any recommendations? I tried Arthurs but its comes to over $200 a day with the diving. Lastly, can i take a taxi to Anilao? What should I expect to pay?

Taxi to Anilao will be expensive since the taxi's will not have a return ride , and u have to know where u want to go. As i understand Anilao proper is near the pier where the diving started but the resorts are spread out through the coastline and includes other villages.
As for resorts u can try Portulano , since they have a housereef it can cut down on cost. theres also a good travelinfo on there page or use the airport pick-up.
Frank

I've heard portulano is good in Anilao. Friend also mentioned something like "Dive and trek" as a possibility. get a bus from Malila to Batangas City then onward to Anilao.

Instead of Anilao have you considered Sabang? Bus then ferry to Sabang. We stayed at Blue Ribbon. They offer a reduced rate on their rooms (25% discount) if you are also diving. The dive rates there are very favourable.

If it is just you, Anilao will not be "bargain" diving unless you find people to share the cost of the boat with. I think your $200 a day w/ diving is average unless you stick with diving a house reef. If you don't want to take a bus, your best bet is probably to have your resort arrange a pickup ~ 5,000 peso each way.
I think Eagle Point Resort has a nice house reef. I have gotten 30% off the listed room rates. Hopefully you have your own gear, I would not want to rent what they had.

Hi, Club Ocellaris is excelent choice.Single room with 3 meals, 3 day dives+night dive without equipment (guide&boat included) was 160US when i visited march this year.
80+min dives, good guides and good food makes it great value.
Pickups and taxis sounds very expensive- bus, jeepney & tricycle combo should be well under 500peso from Manila to Club O, if you dont have much luggage and it takes ofcourse more time than taxi.

Last edited:
Hi.I am landing in Manila right at midnight on jan 1st.... I am debating heading to Dauin or staying in the area and going to Anilao. Anyone have any recommendations? I tried Arthurs but its comes to over $200 a day with the diving. Lastly, can i take a taxi to Anilao? What should I expect to pay?
1. You are probably arriving at Terminal 1 or T2(PAL only). Both of these terminals basically do NOT offer anything whatsoever for the arrival passengers!!! You won't be able to pick up even a sandwich or cup of hot tea!!!! And if you want to leave the airport the only option is the yellow airport taxi or limo. Change the money before you step out of the terminal.
2. As already suggested, taxi or private transfer to Anilao is NOT cheap!!!
3. If I were you I will take the yellow taxi to T3, get something to eat, surf the web and wait until 4-5am. On the other hand I believe there is a massage place inside the terminal which offer bed for few hours!!! Very civilized.
4. Get the white taxi outside the departure hall to Buen Dia for public bus bound for Batangas Pier. Tell the driver to use "Sky way" toll is P20.00 and the fare should be less than P150.00. Get a direct bus[I normally take the Ceres bus(word of derecho on the windscreen)]. The fare should be less than P200.00. Tell the conductor that you want to go to Anilao. You will be dropped off at a big open compound with jeepneys heading to various local places. Go to Anilao proper and then a tricycle or jeepney to your resort.
5. Most of the resorts are scattered along the main road around the peninsular. You need to know where you want to go.
6. Anilao has the most unusual pricing structure for scuba diving. The rate that the dive shop/resort charged does not include boat and guiding. If you are on your own then it is really expensive. However, during New year holiday period highly unlikely that you will be the only diver around!!!!!
7. Anilao is better than Dauin in term of diving.
8. If you do not fancy all those hassles, stay on the bus and get off at Bantagas Pier for the boat to Sabang(PG). The first boat departs around 0700.
9. If you are very tire after a long flight, find somewhere to sleep properly eg City State Tower Hotel(daily transfer to PG at 0800). Swagman Hotel do offer FREE airport pick up but the room is over-priced!!! There is also a daily transfer to PG in the morning.
10. What ever you decide to go, please make reservation.
11. Bite the bullet and pay the king's ransom of private transfer to Anilao. It is a holiday afterall!!!!!
Safe journey and have fun.

I'm a huge fan of Anilao and Anilao diving but sadly it really isn't a great option for a single divers or even small groups due to the non-fixed diving costs (everything basically is a la carte) and lack of public transportation.

Diving from Anilao is generally charged per boat or per dive so if you're alone it's going to be a very expensive trip, typically 2500 for the boat (2 dives), 250 for an air fill, 900 for a DM and 200 per day for the dive pass i.e. around 2500 Php or almost $60 per dive and then there's accommodation, food and transport on top. The diving is great but then there's very little to do at night.

In short I'd agree with Central and say PG would be a better option. PG has easy public transportation links, most dives are charged per dive regardless of location (except Verde Island). The diving isn't as good as Anilao in my opinion although it's pretty similar, nut it can be a lot more crowded. There's a also a lot more option in the evening.

Have fun!

Karl

I dove at Club Ocellaris earlier this year and everything was great there. My cost was about $200/night plus tips. After that I went to Sabang (Puerto Galera) and dove with Action Divers. Cost there was $95/night including three dives, hotel (budget but fine) and breakfast. Enjoyed both.

Anilao is better than PG if you are interested in macro. It is dive, eat and sleep from a same resort.
PG has more varieties both above and below water. The cost is a lower and getting there is easier unless the sea is rough. Have a look at Frontier, Sea Rider and South Sea.
Combine both places as suggested by "drbill" if time permitted.
You do need to make reservation in Anilao because the next nearer resort could well be quite a distance away. While PG(Sabang) is chuck of block(resorts).

If you stay at Club-O they will arrange for Reggie to pick you up in Manila and return you to the airport after your stay. The rooms and no water pressure leave a lot to be desired, but the diving is great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom