Best place to dive in the Philippines ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VikramGopinath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi I am from Singapore and have an advanced open water license. I want to dive in the Philippines and was wondering where a really great place to dive would be. I heard that Palawan is a great area. I'm looking for something not so expensive (I don't mind staying in a backpackers hostel). I have about a weeks vacation in the beginning of march, is that a good time to dive ? Mainly looking for beautiful reefs and colorful fish with the occasional big animal.
Please advice and thanks a lot in advance.

I've only dived two, Anilao and Sabang (Puerto Galera). Anilao was fantastic but probably more pricey than what you desire. For $95 US in Sabang I got three dives a day, a basic but clean hotel and breakfast diving with Action Divers.

Moalboal, fly into Cebu, taxi to Southern Bus terminal for the public bus to the town follow by a tricycle to the beach.
The school of sardines is fantastic and Pescardo Island is a must.
Mainly wall dive along the coast and current is usually not an issue.
Everyone knows Nelson dive shop and stay next door at Eve's Kiosk(his sister place).
March is "normally' far too early for typhoon but....!

Am currently sitting in Puerto Galera having come up from a just before midnight into the new year night dive with a lovely big cuttlefish and lots of critters enjoying the fireworks from SABANG ...my iPad seems to like SABANG too because it defaults to caps lol. Couple of other scuba boarders here so we managed to get South China Sea divers to kindly agree to my crazy ritual of diving from one year into the next. awesome fun and I would highly recommend diving in PG...some beautiful dives so far from wrecks to high current flying drift dives. Lots of nudis and great topography reefs in good condition. Happy new year to you all :)

Good on you, Wingy! Happy new year :)

Palawan wouldn't be anywhere near my top choice of the many excellent dive destinations in the Philippines. Malapascua is my favorite, plus they could use the tourist $$ in continuing to recover from Yolanda.

We certainly enjoyed Dumaguete(Negros Island) and Moalboal(Cebu Island).......& do not miss Oslob for the whaleshark dive, also......

Some good options above. Bohol is pretty chilled, and a very nice place to do a long term DM due to the easy going topside and solid diving. Very small though. Sabang has a very serious dive scene, including world record setting deep dive history and such. Amazing reef diving, as well! Way tooooo much going on topside for many folks. Now, although the diving is relatively weak by PI standards, the absolute greatest place to spend your time topside and get solid training on just ok reefs is Boracay! Ranges from the chilled travelers end at Boat Station 3, to world class groove at Boat Station 2, to the swank of Boat Station 1. One loooong white beach with perfect sunsets every night. Course, it's been a few years, but this was the nicest stretch of beach I had found! and I had found a lot of 'em! And great access to places such as Cebu and Bohol to get some better reef. All of the places mentioned above in the string are fine options.

Back
Top Bottom