Cheapest flight out of Philippines, and visa extension enquirey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob-bob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all and happy new year! Hope 2014 has been good for you so far.

I had a quick question I wanted to put out there if you don't mind. I'll be going to the Philippines to do my DM course in late February. I currently only have a one-way flight from London to Manila. In order to get a one-year visa, I need to have an outward flight as well. The plan was to book a cheap flight out of Manila, and either use that as a connecting flight on the way back home, or replace it with another flight once we're in the country. I've had a quick look, and by my reckoning Bangkok is the cheapest place to get to from Manila in July 2014, with Singapore also not too expensive either. Can anyone else suggest a cheap flight out of Manila I may have missed?

Also, although I'll be able to get a 1-year visa, I'll still be limited to multiple 59 day stays. Apparently I can extend this 59 day limit to up to 6 months from a Bureau of Immigration once I'm in the Philippines. Has anyone else had to do this? What's involved? Are there any requirements you have to make to be granted an extension? I'm in touch with the Philippine Embassy in the UK, but wanted to ask you friendly people as well.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

-Rob

I assume you'll be on a tourist visa?

I don't have much knowledge of 1-year pre-arrival visas.... but I do know a lot about on-arrival visas and extensions. They are relatively painless...

Once in-country, you can extend a P.I. Tourist Visa for up to 16 months, every 2 months, via an Bureau of Immigration Sub-Office (there's many dotted around). A final extension (16-18 months) can be sought only at the main immigration office at Intramuros, Manila. The cost fluctuates, but it is approx $100 every two months. You'll also need toi purchase an ACR (alien certificate of registration) identity card on/after your 3rd 2-month extension (or before 6 months stay).

Alternatively, you can go to Intramuros for your first extension (visa-on-arrival for most countries is now 30 days). There you can get a six (6) month tourist visa extension.

You only need to leave the Philippines after 16/18 months.

The cheapest 'hop out/in' flights tend to be to Hong Kong (see Tiger Air or Cebu Pacific...and book a promo flight well in advance). There are plenty of promo flights - I go regularly (live in Manila) and don't expect to pay more then 2500php each way (departing from Clark/DMIA airport north of Manila, nr Angeles).

After six (6) months stay in the Philippines, you need to get an ECC (Exit Clearance Certificate) in order to leave. You can again, get these at any Immigration sub-office...and it must be 30 days (need to confirm this?) before you depart. You used to be able to do this at the airport on departure, but I think that's ended now.

The immigration sub-offices, in my experience, tend to be a lot quicker and hassle-free than the main office at Intramuros.

DevonDiver has provided a good explanation of how to extend the tourist entry visa after you arrive. When you understand how easy it is and how commonly it is done, you will see that the 1 year multiple entry Visa (9a) is not really worth the money ($90 US) unless you intend to leave every 59 days.

It does allow multiple entries for tourism or business with a maximum stay of 59 days each visit. I think the majority of these Visas are provided to business employees who work for international companies that strictly follow international Visa requirements for compliance purposes.

For your situation, I would get the 30 Day entry Visa and extend it while in country as needed.

Wow... thanks so much both! You guys are literally more helpful than the embassy.

I think you're right Sevenrider - getting the free 30 day tourist visa on arrival and then topping it up to 6 months once I'm there sounds like a winner.

Much appreciated!

Other cheap flights to look at are Cebu Pacific to Kota Kinabalu, Cebu or Tiger to SIN or KUL. Old Zest Air routes now covered by Air Asia like to Shanghai can be cheap as well. I'd avoid regular Air Asia flights to get out of the hassle of getting to Clark. Should be cheap options for you on Tiger/CP from Cebu as well.

Thanks ocdiver! I'll have a look at all those and see what's best.

Just to clarify - do you know if you can get 6-month extensions in the smaller BI sub-offices? Or do they just do 2-month extensions, and you need to go to the big one in Intramuros in Manila to get the 6-month one?

Also, does your outbound flight have to be within a certain time of your inbound? For example, could our outbound flight be 5 months after our inbound? Or does the outbound have to be within your initial visa time span?

Hope this all makes sense - thanks very much again!

-Rob

At the moment, the (new) 6-month extension is only available via the main B.I. office at Intramuros, Manila.

I'm not aware of any date restrictions for the outbound flight. I'd guess it has to be within 18 months of your entry, but that's just a guess. It certainly doesn't have to be within 30 days of your entry...

Cheapest flights i usually find are to Kota Kinabalu on Cebu Pacific or now, Air Asia a few times a week.

They are sometimes checking the return ticket now too having previously not bothered. Friend of ours over for a holiday arrived from the ME, didn't have an outbound ticket, was denied entry and deported back to Abu Dhabi at his own cost on the next flight.
Other peope have been allowed to buy on entry and others still aren't checked - its a lottery.

Back
Top Bottom